Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just edited and added SETTLE & COME training if anyone is interested. It sure has helped me! Scroll down about 6 posts in this thread if it might be of interest to new puppy owners.

Oh my!!
We got there early as I had some questions..........what else is knew for me? hahahaha!!

When the puppies started coming in, he wasn't too bad. Actually got him to sit and stay as we sat and waited for the arrivals.

All of a sudden, in walked a dalmation. Bogie went nuts.....He never BARKS!! I never heard this out of him!! He wanted to play soooooooo bad!!!
Well, we calmed him down and got him to sit/stay again.

When everyone was there...they used him & a French Bull Dog for an example of SETTLE.
Bogie didn't do TOO bad.....and WE learned how to settle him!! YAY!

Then we volunteered for COME..........He did great! OMG!! So, we actually learned a new technique to get him to come to us in the yard. OH YEAH! We have tons of practice to do, but I have high hopes!

I feel good about this program. I initially had my qualms....but I think this could be a good thing! :wink:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Congratulations Bogie! Good boy! I knew you'd use your doodle smarts and charm to perform so well. Be good for your mom and practice all your lessons. Can't wait to hear more stories. Is it possible to take any pictures? :D

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL.............I was going to take a camera but I'm not sure that we would've had the time to snap this. Hubby was sitting there like DUH!!!!.......and I don't think he could've been multi tasking...hahahaha!!!
Maybe by week 3? have to train hubby first! hahahaha!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
alright BOGIE!! way to go :D
i am sooooooooo proud of Bogie as those other dogs are soo hard for them to resist the urge to play hahahahaaaaaaaaa

Bogie keep up the GREAT work buddy :D

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Annmarie.............look at Max's pic in the avatar...then look at Bogie's.........why does Bogie look so scruffy!???.........lol......I should've named him scruffy!!! hhahahaha!

Off topic...okay! :roll:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hhahhaaa they sure do look alot alike !!! wow!!!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is truly amazing! What we learned in class last night was just the SETTLE & COME.
As you know, Bogie wasn't coming when called in the yard. OMG! He IS now!
They told us to temporarily use another word other then come................we picked HERE.
We also use now freeze dried liver. We are not to call them "treats". They are magnets!.....hahahaha!
So, we take one of his favorite squeakie balls and the freeze dried liver outside with us. We let him do his thing...............then when he starts to eat the shrubs or just doesn't want to come, we squeak the ball and say HERE. He immediately runs to us now!!....and he gets the liver hahaha!! All this in just over 24 hours!!!
This freeze dried liver is amazing.

The SETTLE is..........you sit on the floor with the pup with legs apart. You get them into a down position and gently stroke their back ever so lightly and say SETTLE.
If they move..........with your hand around the collar...you push them away from you. Then you gently bring them back into you and start the SETTLE again. Repeat until the dog is lying there like a mop.
He caught on to this by this morning! The goal is to get them to lie down and SETTLE under any conditions. This morning, my husband had him in a settle position and calm. I started throwing toys and his squeakie ball all around the basement. He had to be pushed away a few times, but settled in really fast!! AMAZING!!
I can't even WAIT until the next class!
Anyway, some of you may already know this and use these things..........but I never did even though trained my Bouvier with the Police Dept. These are all new techniques to me and I thought maybe they could help someone else with a new pup! :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
LINDA i can feel your excitement.........way to go!!!
i like the word Magnet (not a treat) hahhaa!! good one! :D

i am soooooo happy for you and bogie

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Magnets sounds like Paul Owens Method, works great!!! You will be so amazed and happy when folks come up to you and tell you what a good well behaved dog you have! Renee tells me people stop her every day and compliment our dogs behaviour :D :D :D

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mtd...I never heard of Paul Owens!! You make this sound even better then I thought!!! YIPPEEE!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts