Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took Bogart to my brother's for dinner last night. He has a Standard Poodle.
It took a while for 8 year old Samson to let Bogie be a puppy. He was cautious in accepting him.
Then my brother asked me to let him GO! I was like..............uh-uh!!! :shock: He lives on a huge lot and no fence.
I thought about it for awhile and said "Why not!?" I let him go and WOW!! Samson and Bogie ran and played! Bogie did the doodle 500 and went around trees and back woods where he was out of sight for moments and my heart was in my throat! But he ran back when called! WHEW! It was really cool! I had to laugh that my husband was the one to finally say ENOUGH and we'd been lucky enough and he put him back on leash.

In the house, we got Bogart to PLACE on his special mat.......and he was such a dollbaby!.........SO GOOD!
He didn't barf on the ride, but drooled and was shaking. His eyes were pathetic! But, I think he has to get use to this.....................so he did about 80 miles yesterday. We want to start taking him on vacations so I guess he'll have to get use to it. Will he?? :roll: Any experience with this?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think if you take lots of short, positive trips, he will associate car rides with fun. Do you have a petsmart or petco around you? You could take him to the store and have him pick out a treat and then drive home.... or go to the dog park.

Sienna was horribly scared her first ride in the car (home from the airport). She peed her crate the second ride (10 minutes to the vet). She puked the third ride to the pet store. The 4-10 ride in the car she would pant very hard and loudly. She rides in the car 2x a day with us (she comes into work with me), my husband and I commute together and we started the first month with her on one of our laps. She outgrew our laps fast so for the next month one of us would sit in the backseat with her. Now she sits in the backseat by herself and sleeps like a good girl. She doesn't mind the car ride at all anymore.

I would say...just keep at it.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Isn't it great to see them unshacked and running free! they're so happy. Keep at it with the car rides, maybe try Bogies fav treat to chew on while he's in the back.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Lucas used to get car sick and barf! But, practice makes perfect... just do lot's of short trips in the car, he'll get used to it!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Bogie I'm so glad you had a fun day !! Sorry about the carsickness thing :(
We had a lab who had to have dramamine before we traveled, around town she was fine but on a long trip she needed dramamine

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
taking short rides will help acclimate Bogie

and yeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaa off leash Bogie!!!
i find that when you have 2 more dogs they do tend to stick around more and it's sooooooooo awesome watching them run free :D

G

·
Great job Bogie!!!! My Mom won't let me off leash...she says something about I won't listem to her if she calls me. I listen....it doesn't mean I have to come though does it?
Woof
Maya

1 - 8 of 8 Posts