Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the eve of his 6 month birthday, it all REALLY started. He turned 6 months this past Wednesday.
WELL.........my husband got a new cell phone after he threw his other one in the washing machine. :roll:
He didn't have the new one more than 4 hours when Bogart got hold of it. I thought Bogie ran into the other room with an ice cube that had fallen to the floor....NOT!! After a few minutes, I thought.........he doesn't usually run away with an ice cube! But I blew the thought off. Then it hit me again.....he's got something else! There he was with the new cell phone chewing on it.
After that, he ripped up his bed in my office!!! :shock:
THEN last night, he jumped on the bed and chewed the remote control for cable TV!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I honestly think that with all that's going on in my life with my dad and me being gone and anxious so much, he's feeling left out and acting out! :cry:

But okay...........I was WARNED about the 6 month stage! So, here we are!!
We just don't have the time to get him neutered right now. I think that's a big part of this. He's verrrrry hormonal!! BUT, he's good at night when out of his crate and sleeping on the bed or at the foot. That's a blessing! :D

Short note on dad......things are bad. He is a candidate for hospice.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Linda, you and your dad are in our thoughts and prayers. Can you put Bogie in daycare? That should tire him out so he doesn't act out as much.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Linda,

For what it's worth both of my parents were in hospice at the end and it was truly a blessing. The hospice staff was outstanding and made very difficult situations at least a little less painful. Thoughts and prayers with you.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Linda, I am sorry about your father. :(
But Bogie? You are probably on the mark with your assessment!
He also feels the strain that you are going through and so he is acting out to get your attention and reassurance.
Time will get you through this all...I hope it is a smooth transition.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I'm sure Bogie does sense your stress and add that to 6 month old hormones :shock:

My prayers continue for you, your dad and your family

hugs
M

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Linda, so sorry about your dad. We also have LOTS of experience with hospice care, and they are helpful during this tough time.

For Bogie... if you can find a daycare, that will let an unaltered male in, I think it could really help with his energy level... which just gives you less to have to be concerned with right now, you have enough on your plate...

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
((((((((linda)))))))))))) prayers still being said for you, your family and your dad
and maybe I need to include a 6mo old Bogie now? :wink:
part of it is sooooooo normal, daily training can help and it does soon pass

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about your father :(

Trust me - I bet Bogie is picking up on the anxiety...however he is also right at adolescence time. I agree with the others - if you could do daycare here and there it would be good for both of you (you would have a tired out puppy and less stress). I don't know if you give Bogie any freedom, but given his remote control eating I would make sure you confine him when you can't watch him. Good luck - just try to be consistent and keep working on training (even if only a few minutes a day).

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
So sorry to hear about your dad, Linda. Please do yourself a favor and take advantage of hospice's care. I had no idea that they also work with non-terminal patients, until we had them help care for my dad before he went into the Veteran's Home (my dad has advanced Parkinson's). They were so kind an helpful to both my dad and my mom, and really took a lot of work and worry off our shoulders. I hope that they will do the same for you.

Sounds like Bogie is in that stage we've all been warned about! Just keep lovin' him, and try to stay sane!!! :roll:

G

·
Linda I am sorry to hear about your Dad. The people at hospice are wonderful though!

Yup the 6 mos stage is fun! I would try daycare twice a week. Maya had to have playdates 2-3 times a week and I noticed the 6 mos stage wasn't too bad. If she didn't have a playdate for more than 3 days I was arraging one cause she would be a terror!!!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Linda....more prayers coming your way. I hope you find strength in the thoughts and prayers from your friends here on the forum.

Bogie....6mo AND hormonal...yikes!! Remember, focus on being a good boy for your Mom, she really needs you to try right now!!

Jonah, Rumor and Miko

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
So sorry to hear about your Dad
i have been through it with both of my parents.
And Bogie.....well 6 months what can we say
Just wait till eight months..teehee sorry.........
Just figured some humour would help..............
Hang in there we are here for you!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Does anyone here have a mature Labradoodle... Like 5 to 10 years old? Do they EVER "chill out"?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Does anyone here have a mature Labradoodle... Like 5 to 10 years old? Do they EVER "chill out"?
I think we are on the 5-10 yr plan with Dexter...he stole the remote control again this morning and I had to corner him to get it back. I got him by the scruff of his neck and told him he was a "bad boy"...in return he just started giving me kisses...what am I to do? :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
My Dexter was a late bloomer. He was a complete angel up until he hit 10 months. He became a monster and a half. But it was short lived. When we moved into the house and he was about a year old, he suddenly matured and is a model dog now. (other than his taste for paper money). He got another $5 out of my pocket the other day, and a $10 the week before that. But I was able to salvage enough to use. I need to learn to use a wallet. But I just caught him with his nose in my purse :shock: I don't think he was looking for lip balm. Okay, maybe not a model dog, but a good boy.

So sorry about your dad, Linda. Hugs and peace to your family.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad, Linda.

Cinnamon is 3 yrs old and she is definitely past the chewing stage, at least where destruction of property is involved. She still likes to chew on a good stick and all sticks are good!! She's had to give up all the chew toys like raw hide and pig skins - her allergies have really cleared up since we took them away and I was concerned about her chewing anything through out the house. So far so good, but sticks are fair game.

Or maybe I've learned to put things away???

Cinnamon still likes her Doodle 500's and a good game of fetch with a ball or Kong frisbee. She's a wonderful travel companion. All in all I'd say hang in there all you young doodle owners. It does get better!!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all your support!
Bogie continues his antics!! :roll:
We have taken him to day care...where he has graduated to BIG DOG play.....hahahahha! He's too big to be in puppy play now. Tooo funny!!!
AND..........as of now we really get our money's worth! He plays from 10 until noon.....then 2-4PM YAY!!!!! This is his first day of 4 hours of play!!!!! I sooooo hope he's tired tonight! I need sleep!!
Dad continues to get worse. It's all so sad and unfair.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts