Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a doodle who body slams? When I am playing fetch with Biscuit, he runs full speed into me. If I am not careful and step out of his way he could easily knock me over.

I have never had a dog who body slams before. What could I do to try and give him the tools to make a soft landing:)

Thanks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My doods love to body slam. Fortunately they mostly do it to each other and they only seem to do it outdoors. I think it is a result of excitement and is probably really fun to do if you are a dog. I find it extremely negative behavior toward humans because they really can knock you down. My mother, who loves dogs, can't be outside with the doods unless I am with her. We are constantly training on this issue and I see a lot of improvement, though, frankly this is probably the one thing George and Grace can do that really gets my goat the worst.

How I deal with it (and from the former paragraph you can see it has only met with limited success!) is this:

1) I always turn my back and walk away, into the house if possible, immediately if I see a body slam coming.

2) When I am outside with the doods I always make them sit and then I talk to them and touch them if all four feet stay on the ground. If they jump or try to body slam I stop playing with them. Same goes for if we're out chasing balls or they are being generally rowdy with each other. They don't get to do this to me and still play. It's over.

3) I try to keep everyone who visits them from touching them or making eye contact until they sit and are calm.

My basic technique is to instantly remove whatever it is they may slam against, unless it's each other. When they do it to each other it looks like they are having a ball. They take turns slamming each other and it really gets them tired. But I still hate it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Susan, I think we need to get a second Doodle so they can run into each other, Murphy does the same thing. He would be a great lineman for the Colts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts