Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it looks like I'm going to have to board Farley (and Hazel the cat) for about 4 days, in a couple of weeks. We are going to the DCI (Drum Corps International) finals in Madison WI. we own a company that makes marching band uniforms and we are corporate sponsors for Phantom Regiment and the Blue Coats, who currently third and fouth place respectivly. while I am really looking forward to it, I love DCI and going to events and haven't been to one yet this summer, my stomach is just churning over having to board him so young. He'll be 16 weeks and it will be for 4 nights at our vets office. I know he'll be ok, but it's like leaving my human babies for the first time overnight!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Our vet and the puppy kindergarden teacher both recommended to us that we board our puppy Kumo (who is now 5 months old) at least once by the time he was 16 weeks old. The reason is because during the socialization period it is a good idea to expose them to everything they might encounter as adult dogs -- getting them used to it young means they'll handle it better when they're older I guess.

-Emilee
photos of Kumo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bierdoctor/

·
Registered
689 Posts
We just had to do that with Chester and Archie. We had a little bit of a back slide with Archie and his housebreaking but it was only for a day. He was fine...in fact I think he won the kennel over to our side of the Doodle world---she was a breeder and show trainer for years and years and had some of that "anti-breed mixing" frame of mind.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Boy, I understand...I hated to leave Lexie overnight when she was a puppy...but as the others have said, it is really good for Farley to experience it.
I would select a place that will play with him and cuddle him often. If they have a puppy daycare at the same place that you board him, the better for Farley...but if not, just be sure that they work with him and give him lots of attention.
Plus, you can take blankets and his favorite toys to keep him comfy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the advice. I'm planning on boarding him at our vets and they LOVE him there. We will be boarding Hazelnut the cat too and I'm going to see if they will let Farley and Hazel see each other once a day.

farley is asleep next to me and I just realized it's an hour past him bedtime, LOL!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts