Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of my puppies.The owners were having a hard time with brushing & mats, and I had called. Someone who didn't know how to groom was cutting away at her and I just kind of showed up with my tackle box in the trunk.. :wink:
Regretfully...I had to groom her like a poodle as part of her snout was cut as well as 2 of her feet.
I now know offically what "blowing the puppy coat" is. Poor Trixey had little "pills" all over next to her skin. Lots of brushwork......when I was done with her....I swear this dog is a steel gray!!
She has alot of blacks in her back ground, and I have repeatedly read about blues being miss-classified as black.
Does anyone else see it?
Here is a before & after shot...

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
WOW the AFTER shot.........GREAT JOB!!!!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
OMG Trixy is gorgeous ! She reminds me of Annabelle with all the silver and charcoal , you did a great job trimming her

I understand from what I have read on "blues" that their skin actually has a bluish tint to them?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou!
Trixey was the last puppy to go. She has always been extremely friendly and affectionate. She also has always carried herself quite regally.
Her owners are madly in love with her!
It feel SO GOOD when you get good feedback & all are happy.....dog and owners!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to do house calls for Senior citizen's! I actually miss it....I heard all kinds of stories about the history of the town I live in, and about the other old gals (I know it was gossip, but it was funny. I couldn't picture some of them being that way when they were when young!) :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wow - I actually think she looks a lot like Shadow when we had to cut his hair off. I would show you, but I can't find my camera and I haven't transferred the pics for the last few months yet.

I think he is blue - because his skin actually looks blue - even though everyone calls him "black" Did you check out her skin? What did it look like?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will email her owner.....didn't think to do that(check out her skin color). I realized she was greyish after grooming her, but when the owners emailed some pics of her outside in the sun, I immediately thought "blue". :?
From what I have read about silvers, don't they start greying around the eyes first?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is that what "blowing the coat" is? The small ball type hairs at the root? Is the only option shaving? I ask because Kryczek has a couple of these that I haven't gotten out, and even though the comb I got works well, some of them are persistant.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Luckyme, ususally BLUES has a bluish tinge to their skin

MAX did as a puppy and still does for the most part and he's a deep black still. i just checked hahhaa his skin is still a bluish color

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Lucky Me said:
So anyone......do you think she is BLUE? :?
She sure looks BLUE to me!
I think it's important to remember to keep those "rules" about skin and all kinda loose; I could not see the bluish tint to the skin on our BLUE poodle Fancy, but I CAN see a bluish tint on the skin of our BLACK Poodle Sheba!

Sheba carries the (d) gene that does dilute colors, such as black puppies clearing to blue or silver, or brown pups clearing to cafe, silver beige, or even lighter.

Trixey is adorable!! And the lighter fur on the fronts of her forlegs is a real confirmation, to me. The muzzle and the legs seem to be lighter on most blues.

If Ohio is too far to go can you come to COLORADO? :wink:
I can give you gossip if you want it!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now I am confused again!!!
I was brushing Marley out in the sun and noticed DARK SMOKE GRAY hair coming in on his legs!
I went on-line and read-up on Blues-
"Blues as puppies will usually have white or silver colored hair inbetween the pads of the feet. You will also have a brown highlighting of the black hair. This is one way to tell you have a blue. When taken out into the sunlight or sometimes in the flash of a picture a blue puppy will almost look dark brown in color. This is almost a sure sign of a blue.
As a blue "clears", which sometimes takes up to 3 years in standard poodles, they will become a dark gun metal grey color.
It has been my experience that blue poodles tend to carry the genes for all colors of poodles. So for many breeders they are a great asset to a breeding program.
Blues may have black points or self colored points."
"Many black strains, black-bred for many generations, carry a brown gene which causes browns to appear every now and then in an otherwise black litter . Such browns usually carry very dark eyes and pigmentation."

We had a discussion a while back on some LD's having a black that is kind of brownish (I called it licorice)Marley has this coat. He also has dark eyes & pigment. He, along with 1 or 2 others in the litter, had some white hairs in the pads.(I believe Trixie was one too) He comes from 2 lines that were black-bred & one that was red & Apricot. Although he has chocolate 4 generations back, he is carrying one of the brown genes. His DNA test showed him as carrying the yellow gene & one of the brown, showed him NOT carrying dilute or any of the Agouti they test for. With all of the blacks in his background, I could see how one might have changed to blue and someone didn't change it on AKC.
So how is this color bred? If it is a dilute, how come Marley does not have the dillute gene? Black carrying yellow and brown is BeEe, if he is blue, would it still be BeEe?
I looked at his skin...I saw what I would call "gray", I don't know if I could really call it blue or lavender.
Maureen...do the blue's first change color on their legs?
Jac...don't you have a Blue? Were your "Black Licorice" colored pups from this dog?
Go figure...just when I think I had it all figured out, this happens :?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Lucky Me said:
Now I am confused again!!!
I was brushing Marley out in the sun and noticed DARK SMOKE GRAY hair coming in on his legs!
I went on-line and read-up on Blues-
"Blues as puppies will usually have white or silver colored hair inbetween the pads of the feet. You will also have a brown highlighting of the black hair. This is one way to tell you have a blue. When taken out into the sunlight or sometimes in the flash of a picture a blue puppy will almost look dark brown in color. This is almost a sure sign of a blue.
As a blue "clears", which sometimes takes up to 3 years in standard poodles, they will become a dark gun metal grey color.
It has been my experience that blue poodles tend to carry the genes for all colors of poodles. So for many breeders they are a great asset to a breeding program.
Blues may have black points or self colored points."
"Many black strains, black-bred for many generations, carry a brown gene which causes browns to appear every now and then in an otherwise black litter . Such browns usually carry very dark eyes and pigmentation."
Hi, I would never say I was any kind of expert on poodle colors; I was told there are 23 colors in poodles! Go figure!
But I have to comment on the 'carrying all the colors" statement and say that I have/had a dog that clearly refuted that statement, as she ONLY carried black and no yellow or chocolate. Now, she did have one sable, and partis and phantoms, but those are patterns, not colors ya know?

Most of that article seemed like an editorial, not a tutorial, to me, personally.

The brownish red tint that black Poodles can get is sunbleaching, I believe. Having said that, there is a brownish tint on some puppies before they clear all the way to silver.

I liked your comparison to licorice!

I do agree that it really takes 2-3 yrs to know how a dog carrying the dilute gene is going to end up.

I also think that if PID says your doodle doesn't have the dilute (d) gene you might like them to explain the gray coat you've got! :roll:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The quoted items came from this site
http://arpeggiopoodles.tripod.com/
click on the Poodle coat colors 4 link
What is also confusing is that from this and other links read, there seems to be a few different ways that blues come about, dilute gene being only one of them. If I am wrong and it IS strictly a dillute gene, you betcha I will be calling and inquiring about the test results!
sessa35..how old is Mija? Did she silver around her eyes first? That is supposed to be a first indication of silver, then again she has the blue skin. Yes , you can definitely see the blue on the head shot. (Man!, do I love that mohawk!) :wink:
Yup! Crash course genetics, round 2 coming up! How far have you got Annmarie?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
LUCKY ME...i am waiting on a USED Genetics bookthat cost $95 on ebay (as it's well over a $100 on amazon IF and When you can find it)

it's called The Inheritance of coat color by Little..i can't wait for it to arrive midweek! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts