Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marley was finally due for a shower and a shave, as he was getting matted to the skin. He is definitely a dark, steel gray color (compared to his sister who is more of a silvery blue), with no lighter coloring on his legs and face. His skin seems more of a gray to me, although he fits the bill as to the description of how the blue color developes. I now know that blue can take up to 3 years to come in fully. You can see the difference in the one pic with his jet black momma in the background.
DOES ANY ONE KNOW FOR A FACT THAT BLUE IS CAUSED ONLY BY A DILUTE GENE????
Is there another means of acquiring the color? As I said in another thread....his DNA showed him as negative for the dilute gene. I need to know for sure before talking to pawsitiveID about the results...

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I don't really understand the genetic links to the blue coloring but I do know that it is called "blue" because the skin takes on a bluish tint...so if he is greyish, I would think that he is blue! 8)

·
Registered
434 Posts
I freaked out about a year ago when I was putting flea stuff on Calvin and discovered his skin was blue! In people medicine, that is NEVER good! I found out, via this forum, that he is a 'blue' doodle. His fur started out black, but he is 2 this month and he is definately a bit lighter..almost grey in places. Still darker then his sister. Here is their picture....He is on the right....

So, should I expect his coat to change until he is about 3?

Leslie

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Marley is about to turn 7 months...he's just starting I guess. The difference in color between him and his sister is about the same as Calvin and his sister, however, no lighter areas on his legs or face.
Everything I have read says "up to 3 years" to turn Blue.
I have read that is caused by a dilute gene (ressesive) & have also read that it is caused by a dominant gene.
I am just confused :roll:
Most importantly....I had excellent results on his DNA results & if there was a misreading on his color, I have to question the results as a whole. :?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
By the way, all of these dogs are beautiful!
I am not at all comfortable with my knowledge (or lack of) genetics...I will defer to Maureen on this. She knows her stuff...so does Ann Marie!
Yes, it is my understanding that blue coats change up to 3 years of age.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts