Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to do a search but I didn't really get an answer to my question: Maya is just going to be 6 mos on 11/1/07 and she has never really shed...I could run my hands through her fur and couldn't really pull any fur out. Now I seem to be getting a lot more and I was just wondering why? I did read in a post I found that 6 mos is early so it might not be that she is blowing her puppy coat and if she is not blowing her coat what could be causing this?

Thanks
Heather

·
Registered
159 Posts
I do not have an answer to your question just wanted to say I LOVE your avatar.....what a cute picture!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Little Angel Maya! :D

That is about the time Ebbe blew hers. Still it wasn't too bad and now it's down to a minimum! We find a quick brush out a couple times a week really helps.

Of course after a minute or two she tries to eat the brush! :roll:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Sounds like to me she's blowing her puppy coat. Cinnamon did it at about that age, some do it earlier, some later, some not at all. Cinnamon didn't shed at all until her adult coat came in and her puppy tuffs started coming out. She now sheds but not much. My kids' cats shed worse.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!! I just wanted to kind of make sure it was her loosing her puppy coat and not a indicator of some kind of disease. Like I said the previous posts I read said 9 mos or older and I was a little worried. Thanks for putting my mind to rest. I don't care if she sheds as long as she is healthy.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My puppy is just over six months and I've noticed he's starting to shed a lot more too. It just started all of a sudden.

Susan

·
Registered
62 Posts
I did post this question on another forum but nobody has replied yet, so will try again here. Tegan is just over 11 months old and has not yet started to lose her puppy coat or grow in her adult coat. I have read (and been told) that this usually takes place between 7 - 12 months old. Is there ever an occurrence where a doodle doesn't lose the puppy coat and keeps the same coat all its life, or is there still a chance Tegan will lose hers?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Julie,

I guess my Tyke is too young for me to be able to answer your question, but I'm curious too. Tyke is also a multigen doodle(Mom was f3 and Dad was f4) and at 4 months, she has not shed at all. Her hair looks like it has the same texture as Tegan's. I had read somewhere (not on this forum) that sometimes the non-shedding coats have to be "stripped." (I'm not sure what that entails, but it sounds painful!)

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I cannot speak about multigens but I know that Denver(F1)
did not blow a puppy coat, just grew a beard, some lovely highlites
in certain areas and a few waves
on his back and legs and
that was the end of it. Does not shed, was supposed
to but never has. :wink: :wink: :wink:

He went from this (4months)

to this(16 months)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for all your comments. Kim & Tyke, that's what I have been told, that Tegan's puppy coat will have to be stripped. I think it means that you have to brush them thoroughly 3 - 4 times a week from head to toe, stripping out the puppy coat so that the adult coat can grow in. If you don't strip it, the fur will matt big time and then the doodle will have to be shaved. I keep checking her over but so far there is no sign of any fur changes.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max and Peanut both blew puppy coats at around 5-6mos old and it lasted 2mos

max still sheds a little and Peanut never sheds at all

Beau luckily is only 4mos old so i have at least 4 to 8 weeks before going thru it again :wink:

·
Registered
62 Posts
The shift in colour could just be part of maturing, changing pigmentation, etc. or some fading in the sun. Tegan was a deep auburn when she was a young puppy but around 5 months old she got some lighter areas, mainly on the top of her head. Most of her coat has become a lighter colour than it was but she still has the deep auburn colour on her ears and across her muzzle mostly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
[hi there i have just joined the forum and saw your picture of your labradoodle....omg it looks just like my labradoodle "josie" so beautiful :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts