Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boones back feet always bleed after a walk. It looks like the toenails rub the pads and cause it to get raw (poor thing)! It's not the bottom of the pad, but the side of it. We've had him to the vet about it, and she gave us antibacterial soap for them, and told us to run in some polysporin throughout the day when we can.
We did this and it was clearing up just fine, then we started going for walks and it's getting worse now.
The vet said it's not his toenails, but I can't see it being anything else. The sores are in the exact shape of the curvy nail, I hate the thought of him being hurt on our walks when I want him to enjoy it. When we get home he doesn't bother with them or chew them or anything so they don't seem to really bother him, but I don't like it. Do you think letting his nail grows to the point where the tip of it won't rub against the pad is a good idea?
Also, if it doesn't stop even then, when we take him to be neutered would it be an option to remove those two toenails causing the problem? I don't know if thise would have a negative effect at all or be just like taking the nails off a cat. It would only be two toenails of the 20 he has.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Boone has 20 toenails?!? Wow... that's a lot! LOL! I don't think many vets would be willing to remove a toenail unless it was really infected. Dogs need their toenails for traction and protection. Cats have retractable claws- they walk on their pads. I would try letting the nail grow if you think that will help. Do you keep the nails really short? I would try packing it with gauze and polysporin, and getting muttluks or some other type of doggie boot for walks. Poor Boone... it sounds painful! I've never seen anything like that. Wish I could be more help! Hugs and kisses to Boone.

Bridget and Summer

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I am sorry that Boone is hurting. Lexie had a bleeding foot once and my vet said it was in impacted toenail. He gave her antibiotics and it cleared right up.

You might want to see another vet for a second opinion.

I would assume that your vet won't remove the toenails, since he said that this problem is not a nail problem...

I know that you will keep Boone from walking until his foot heals, and that you are doing the right thing to question the nail problem. I would tend to agree with you, given what you said, but then I am not a vet...so my opinion isn't really worth much.

Is there another vet nearby that you could ask?

Good luck to you and Boone!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There really isn't another vet. I've just been putting polysporin on when I can catch him. It's not freezing cold here right now so I know it wasn't caused by ice. I think maybe once his nails grow to a length that the edge of it is closer to the bottom of his foot it'll be better.
Or when the length of his outside toe catches up with the middle one it won't bother him anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts