Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DOOD is 16 week old. I've had Labs before and expected a lot of chewing, but he really likes to bite. Is this typical. He is very sweet when he wants to be. I have tried scruff shakes, but he comes right back for more and snarls and bites harder.

:x

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
without knowing if he's dominant or not...well there are several things you can do.

1. SAY "NO" or OUCH really loud
2. If your doodle tries again, pick him up off the ground and just hold him up in the air till he settles...this disorients them and puts you in the leader position.

3. Do daily training and also sometimes some puppies when tired get cranky and need a nap. So putting your doodle in for naps can help.

4. If it continues either enroll in OB class and/or consult with a trainer

5. what age did you get your doodle? just curious

6. You need to be the one to show direction to your 16wk old doodle, so starting with a sit , lie down, stay commands etc are done in OB training which is a start on getting respect as the Alpha/Pack Leader.
puppies push buttons and its up to us to let them know which ones can't be pushed.

with time, love, patience and training the biting should stop as he is also TEETHING right now. so providing chew toys like kongs and praising him when he chew them and not you may be a start :wink:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
i dont know if this is a normal way to train, but in addition to ouches etc... we would grab the snout and hold thier mouth shut and give a stern NO BITE, and let the mouth open just enough to let their tongue out, and then let them lick our hand and give positive praise. it worked for us on 2 doods.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have tried most of these. We got BO at 9 weeks old from a litter of 9. He was the most passive dog there, very laid back. My youngest daughter is terrified of dogs and she wanted him because he was lazy. This changed in about a week. I have experience with labs, but as smart as my last lab was, lil Bo seems smarter. He is almost completely house broken and is doing well with basic obedience. I will take the advise given here and let you all know how it is going.

thanks again,

·
Registered
523 Posts
We had this issue with Boyd when he was a wee lad. The no bite didn't work but putting a thumb on the roof of his mouth and holding his snout worked! He also was put in "time out" a lot.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I know it might sound mean, but a spray water bottle worked like a charm on our Uma whenever she'd get a little too wound up. Sometimes babies just need a little correction and reminder that they are a dog and you are not.

Take it from me, as you soon as you start to miss Bo's puppy bites is when you'll get the itch for a second doodle. :)

Good luck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have had the exact same problem with our 17 week old, Puddles. He gets really bitey when he wants my attention or when playing. He's improved A LOT since he was a puppy. I was actually afraid of him when he was a baby. :oops:

We are trying to teach him fetch, which is helping because he really wants to play, but doesn't know how. He seems to get more enjoyment out of biting us in the back of the knees, pulling on our clothing or getting our ankles. When he gets really obnoxious with biting, we use time out. The best advice is consistency, but we still have good days and bad days. What really works for us is not giving him a lot of attention when he starts biting. We find that the more we try and discourage him, the more he comes back at us, like it's a game. He hates not getting attention, so not petting and playing anymore sometimes works. And tons of praise when he is being a good boy is helping. I met with a trainer who said the behavior is not aggressive, just annoying puppiness.

The other thing that has helped us tremendously is keeping him on a long lead all the time in the house or in the yard, if we are playing with him. I can get control of him really quickly if he starts getting feisty with the kids or me.

Training is making all the difference. The more commands that he is learning and the more that we make him come and sit and stay by us, the more respectful he is being. He use to be biting all day every day from the moment he woke up and now we just have moments of this and when I tell him "no" he is really starting to know that he's being bad. But, like I said we still have good days and bad days.

Oh, our trainer recommended bones from the butcher. When he has a lot of energy and we can't walk him, I'll give him a frozen butcher bone and he will work on that bone for a long time. It's great for their teeth. When we first introduced "real" bones though we made sure to give them and take them away over and over with lots of praise so he didn't get possessive of the bone. Now he's having fun burying them in the yard. I didn't know dogs actually did that :D

Good luck! It can be really annoying, especially when there are kids around. Hang in there!!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We Tried the water bottle and even put about 2 tbs of vinigar in it. He loves when we spray him. When he is feling friskie he drags the spray bottle to me and barks for me to spray him. He even likes the taste of the bitter apple spray. I have actually reinforce him chewing on the furniture.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Natalie,

You just described my pup. I thought I wrote that post myself. I think I really wanted to hear that the behavior is not aggressive. As far as bones go, I have discovered busy bones. BO has been working on his busy bone for about a week.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Brooks Family,

This forum has saved our puppy from being re-homed. I thought for sure that my dog was crazy and everyone was talking about how wonderful their doodles were and mine was making me cry. I wish I could offer you a magic cure; I've searched like crazy. The advice that you will get here on this forum is the best!!! I actually met with two trainers and both of them said things that the members here already told me about. So, welcome! Glad you're here! Bo sounds like he has a wonderful family!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I remember this stage... It definitely isn't fun. My best advice is to stay consistent with your corrections - we used the NO BITE/KISS method, as well as time outs. I'd say between 16-18 weeks is when things started getting better for us - for some it lasts longer, but I promise this annoying behavior will stop as long as you are correcting it every time :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Some people find that reverse time out helps too...

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver was a horrible biter and we tried everything .................
Finally turning our backs and crossing our arms and totally
ignoring him worked but it was not overnight.............
Try everything already suggested until something works for your
dog..............this will pass but you will need a new wardrobe by the end of it, I did..................bahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
134 Posts
I use the spray bottle (high powered squirt rather than the soft spray) accompanied with a gruff "NO!". I've really only ever sprayed a handful of times. Most of the time, I simply have to reach for the spray bottle and Sam knows he's done/doing something wrong. The other night he was mouthing on my fingers and suddenly mouthed too hard. I let out a really loud high pitched (for a man) yelp :oops: and it made Sam jump and get the message that he was doing something bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts