Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 month old constantly bites and chews. She has a lot of toys and things to chew on but my hands seem to be her favorite. I've tried grabbing her mouth and holding it closed while saying "no bite" and anything I can think of. Does anyone have suggestions or is this something that she will just outgrow?

Thanks,
Marty

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hi Marty,

Lani use to do the same thing all the time. It is not that bad now. the vet said that a time out can be effective. Everytime she starts to bite immediately isolate her, eventually she will equate bitting with being separated from everyone else. Since we could not get the kids to follow through with this we used a tin filled with coins and shook it everytime she would start to bite and even bark. It has worked well. Hope this helps. Lani just spent the 3 minutes racing around the family room like she was shot out of a canon - oh to have that much energy!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lisa,

Great ideas. I would think the noisy can would be easier then the time out. I'll try that. My hands are full of teeth holes and you know how sharp those little teeth are! :(

I know what you mean when they run around as fast as they can, little ears flopping! Jorja will do that in the back yard when I'm playing ball with my Border Collie. She'll run as fast as she can in circles then just flop in the grass like a rug. So much energy. No wonder she eats like a little pig. :)

Thanks, Lisa!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Marty, trust me your not alone. I like you seem to be Murphy's favorite chew toy and I like you have about a dozen chew toys laying everywhere. I am trying the noise deterant along with refusing to play with him when he does it. If you have a break through let me know.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
One thing I've learned is never hold a dogs mouth shut this puts them into a state of fear of not being able to breathe. It is ok to take a hold of the sides of his face gently and shake him a little and tell him NO BITE or whatever you want to say. But don't hold his mouth shut.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I am really strating to get worried, I thought we had studied the doodle well, but now I am thinking we needed to do more research. We are committed now and will have to make the best of it

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, Lisa!!!! I got a small empty plastic water bottle and put little rocks in it. It didn't take long for most of the chewing and biting to stop when I shake that thing and say "No Bite". Jorja knows I mean business. I had cuts on my hands that were bleeding and scratches on my face. All because she was playing. I was her prey, I guess. She has drastically cut down on the biting my pant leg while I walk too. I also use the shaker bottle when I catch her picking out the dirt from my potted indoor plants. I have to get her in the act so that requires some sneaking work. :wink:

I think the vet's office told me to hold her mouth shut and say No Bite. That never worked because she thought it was part of the game. I was also concerned that she wasn't able to breath. Someone else told me to flick their nose. Like you can actually do that with a squirmy puppy. So the shaker bottle has been wonderful! Immediate reaction without hurting her or having to touch her. :D

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Angie,

All puppies are a handful. I was nervous about getting a puppy too but Jorja is 4 months old now and oh my I enjoy this little fur ball. You won't regret getting the Labradoodle. Their personalities are so delightful and my little girl makes me laugh so much. I know all these frustrating puppy things are only temporary and she will be a well mannered lovable friend for many years. I can't think of a more perfect dog to fit my families needs.

When do you get your puppy?

Marty

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Angie, I agree with Marty. Our LD, Lani, is also 4 months old. We got her at 8 weeks and she has been alot of work, but I would not have changed a thing. The bitting is normal, they just need to be taught not to. There is a lot of training involved with puppies but it is all worth it. Lani is so charming, friendly and loveable we would not change a thing!

When do you get your puppy? How old will she/he be and what color? We were so excited when we picked Lani up it was like having another baby!
:D

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Angie, how old is your little one? All pups (no matter what breed) have high energy but it really does get better :D . I played "squeekey toy" with Dakota this morning and he is now sound asleep on the couch--and that would not have happened a month ago! (He's one week shy of six months).
Diane

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi All, we get Otto this Thursday, he will be eight weeks old. It is a long time since we had pups, but we will do our best, with a lot of love and patience I HOPE

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Angie, you'll do great. I haven't had a puppy for 14 years so I was very nervous too. I have to admit that there were a few times when we first got Jorja that the thought passed through my head, "What on earth did I get myself into?" Those thoughts passed quickly though. I can't imagine my life without her now.

Best of luck with Otto this Thursday. Remember he will outgrow all of this quickly so enjoy the puppy breath as long as you can!! :)

We want to see pictures as soon as possible, K?

Marty

·
Registered
142 Posts
Angie said:
Hi All, we get Otto this Thursday, he will be eight weeks old. It is a long time since we had pups, but we will do our best, with a lot of love and patience I HOPE
Make sure you put some pix up...Otto what a great name!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I learned a great trick at puppy kindergarten and thought this would be a good place to share it. The teacher said that when your pup starts playing with you as if you're a pup [biting], to react as if you ARE a pup when it hurts ... you YELP! A sort of high-pitched "ouch!" does the trick. She said you want your pup to think you are the most sensitive pup around. Gradually, your pup will "soften" his bite with you as he learns over and over that you are such a wuss. :wink: All pups will bite - it is how they play - we just need to teach them a soft bite when they play with us. We'd been doing time-outs with Quin and it was pretty effective. We would physically reach in and remove Zoe (our 3 year-old) from his x-pen when he got too rambunctious with her. But the yelping seems far more effective. And Zoe is quite good at emitting a very convincing puppy yelp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts