Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family is experiencing a bit of trauma over the amount of mouthy behavior from our Goldendoodle pup (about 12 weeks old at this point). He's so lovely in every respect *except* that he wants to use his mouth (and those sharp little teeth) to interact with you.

I've been working to encourage kisses (peanut butter or honey on my hands then saying "kisses" while he licks), providing lots of biting/chewing alternatives, and using yelps to indicate that it hurts. He's brought me to the point of tears with his playful yet *painful* nips several times and our little children even more. I have started tethering or crating him when I can't supervise 100% but beyond that I'm feeling at a loss.

Any suggestions or is this one of those . . . . they'll grow out of it . . . type behaviors?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
This is absolutely one of those "they'll grow out of it" things. I remember waking up one day when Sandy was 16 weeks and I realized we hadn't had a major problem with nipping in a week. Some grow out of it a little older, some younger... We did just what you are doing :)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
we did a few different things with Hershey and Gus....

I put may hand in a fist so it won't fit in their mouth, and scold them when they try to bite it, praise when it turns to licks. You have to have a biggish hand to do this or they just chew your fist.

My wife holds her hand open and flat like a sheild and pushes her palm into their nose so they cant get their mouth around it, and the same as before, scold as they try to bite, parise when they lick.

lastly, give then your thumb, scold them as they bite it and puch your thumb far into their mouth and down with some pressure on their toungue. they dont gag, but they dont like it.

These may not the the expert answers, they are a little negative attention, but it seemed to work very fast with us on our 2 doodles.

Edit: also right after give them an appropriate chew toy and play with them and have them chew it with praise (as you are already doing).

·
Registered
333 Posts
You know, now that you mention it, Chloe has outgrown that as well. Granted, she still chews on my stuff but not me. She has all of her adult teeth now and I didn't find a single baby tooth to put in her baby book 8)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I think one of my first posts on this forum was to ask how to keep Tyke from biting and chewing on us! I think the "mouthiness" must be a retriever thing! Although she still does it somewhat (she is 18 weeks now), she is beginning to learn that she can't just gnaw on us as hard as she does on her toys. I haven't had to put on a band-aid in weeks!! Hang in there!

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is so hard! We went through this too and Angel did outgrow it for the most part. She is 10 mos. now and when she does go into crazy mode and gets "mouthy", I put her in a down/stay and give her a few minutes to calm down. Unbelieveable that she'd listen at that point, but thankfully she does (after months of training!).
It was so bad at 4-6 mos. that my kids really didn't want to play with her b/c they'd get hurt from her play biting. Now that she's older it happens rarely, but when it does, she isn't so hurtful. I think maybe she's learned along the way how hard is TOO hard! Hang in there...it gets better. It was around 7 mos. for us.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi, Kasper is 13 weeks now and he has been very mouthy from the beginning. He is getting the hang of licking, but when he gets exited he forgets and starts biting. I have heard that this should pass and I am doing the same thing as you. He is never unsupervised with my son, and I use the crate sometimes. Also we try to never play with him to rough, and use the sit and stay command if things are getting out of hand. He does pretty much anyting for a treat, and knows that if he stops , he might be getting one :)

And ofcourse he has a lot of chewing toys.

Kasper's Mom

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Yes, I remember this phase well.....
if you do a search under "mouthy," "biting"...etc.
there are lots of ideas about this topic posted in the past.
Nearly all of us have gone through that with our pups
...it does get better. I did sit and cry one day over the dilemma.
Those baby teeth are razor sharp and my hands, ankles, clothes, butt...all were targets many times!!

Hang in there!
8)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I did what i saw trainers doing with some unruly pups and for us it worked within a relatively short time

I put our doodle puppies inbetween or by the side of my legs facing away from me while i am sitting in a chair. I pet/stroke their face,head, back etc all the while saying " GOOD sit/settle Peanut " if hey get mouthy i move my hand away toward he back of their head and keep stroking them. If they settle they get MORE attention.
I make them do this 5 min a day working towards 10 min and eventually 15min a day in one sitting where they have to ignore everyone and everthing but me.

When they get older than say 5 or 6mos i then teach them to do KisS KISS , where they can kiss my chin instead of being mouthy.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
good tip, annmarie!! I will try that one with my newbie coming.

happy thanksgiving!

we are so blessed!! so much to be thankful for, even in the tough times!!

8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts