Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our new doodle, Riley is 9 weeks old. We've only had her for a week. We love her so much but we're having some problems with the biting and not listening to us when we try to get her to stop chewing up our house. I understand that this is typical puppy behavior but does anyone have any ideas that we can try. I feel that we're always saying "Riley don't! or No! or Stop"
On a good note she has been doing great with the housebreaking. She usually gives us her signs to go outside and she makes very accidents in the house.
Also, any suggestions on specific thigns that we can give her as acceptable shew toys other then the plush stuffed animal type toy?

·
Registered
377 Posts
The only way that I have been able to keep Toby from chewing is to eliminate his opportunity to chew. If I am not watching and saying "no" I have him crated. Labs are just reknowned chewers. The best toy that I have found is called a Buster Cube. It is a square cube that you fill with kibble....the kibble goes in different compartments and Toby must twist, turn, paw or chase to get the kibble to drop out....Keeps him busy longer than any thing else. He doesn't like the Kong--even when filled with peanut butter. He loves roarhide bones, but the largest one only lasts about two and a half days. Stuffed toys are destined for destruction, but the Dr. Noyes snake lasts longer than any other. It is flatter and must not be fiber filled because he hasn't gotten any fiber out and he has owned it for 2 months!!! It still squeaks. Good luck.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah the chewing is pretty hard to stop unless you are watching every second and can offer him something tastier to chew on.
We buy Boone "Bully Sticks" he goes nuts over them and they last a fairly good time.
The idea behind them is fairly disgusting, but they are healthy and not as hard as rawhide so safer for puppy teeth. Also you can't bite huge chunks off so you don't have to worry about choking <----I'm terrified about this and take anything away from him once it gets to a size that fits in his mouth. Call me crazy.
So basically you get them at petsuperstores and they are...get ready for it....dehydrated bull penis. Uh huh, that's right, I said it....BULL PENIS.

·
Registered
15 Posts
chewing = puppy. :) been there, done that! argh! we sprayed bitter apple yuk spray on most of our furniture legs and that seemed to help. also ALWAYS having a substitution for chewing helps. if chloe chewed on the table leg, we said no, and then gave her a toy to chew and said "toy". now she knows- when we say go get your toy, she does! it takes time!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts