Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last week Milo has, while we have been out at work, chewed on his back paws to the point that they are raw and bleeding.

The first time we noticed it was just the one foot, last week. I brought him to the vet and she said he probably caught it on something, gave us some antiseptic and we were on our way, healed nicely with just a light bandage over it, it's scabbing nicely and he's not bothering with it.

Now just yesterday he's done it to the other foot.

Is this a boredome issue? We leave him plenty of toys and another dog to play with! Skin issues?

I'm at a loss, and I don't want to really pay another $80 for a consultation if I don't have to.

G

·
All I could find said that it could be allergy issue OR it could be a boredom/stress response. They likened it to humans biting their nails...and it is also a tough habit to break (just like nail biting.)
So, I guess if you have tried any new treats, new food, new carpet cleaners, new dog bedding etc. I would stop using it and see if it helps. If it is a boredom or stress issue, walking for at least 20 minutes (preferably 30-40) twice a day might help. And Jac had some good ideas for chewing dogs, raw bones, I think or marrow bones stuffed with a piece of hot dog or peanut butter. Let us know how he is doing.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
That's great! Those cones are tough...but really help when you have a situation like this. Glad he is getting better.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Lizzie Doodle chews her feet occasionally too. I think its from her allergies, as I only notice it when those allergies are acting up. Although, stress is a real possibility - you really should get your dood checked for allergies too.

LizzieDood's Mom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts