Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..
To refresh everyones memory.. I decided to give my pup more room while I was at work during the day..
I used to crate him from 8am - 5pm. with a walk in the afternoon from my dog walker.. Monday I put him in the kitchen with a gate.. he showed me over the weekend that I thought he was ready.. I left him for a couple of hours at a time with no accidents..
Well... on Monday he pee'ed in afternoon..
No problems on Tuesday and Wednesday,, A matter of fact.. When I came home i took him right out and he took long pee's, so i thought he was getting it..
Today my walker called this morning and informed me he pee'd in teh kitchen..
So my question is- Is it too soon to give him free range of the kitchen and get him back in the crate while i'm at work??. .
Or should I continue with keeping him in the kitchen.??.
He is 4 months old..
Thanks..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is it just one pee spot or several?
I am no expert by any means but at four months old I think it is pretty good for the length of time you are gone.
Best of luck to you!

G

·
He may like the comfort of being confined so being in the crate may not be a problem for him. You may want to go back to that. I know it sounds mean but some dogs really like being in their crates and if the get more room they freak out.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hmmm...I think that by 4 months Dex would make it w/o any accidents as long as we went home at lunch...I would go back to the crate for now or section off a smaller part of the kitchen. We sectioned off a part of the kitchen that was maybe 4-5 times the size of his crate. I bet after just a few weeks to a month of crating he will be a lot more reliable. It sounds like he is getting it, but may just need a little reinforcement :)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I would say go back. But maybe on the weekend try the kitchen. I would say take it slower. But that is GREAT he was doing so well. Till today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts