Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I saw my 3 1/2 year old Labradoodle eat the feces from my 10 year old German Shepard. I was totally devastated! I don't intend to be gross or disgusting but it had struck me odd earlier this week when I had mowed the lawn for the first time since last Fall that there was very little dog droppings in the yard. Now I think I know why.

Please advise!

Thank you so very much in advance,
MarcusV

·
Registered
309 Posts
One of our Greyhounds eats poo. The only thing that works for us is a basket muzzle, eventually she started smushing the poo through the thing,
so we got this thing that goes in the bottom of it. That works! Sorry I can't remember the name of the little thingy we put in the bottom.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Here is a link for the kind of muzzle and muzzle guard we use.
[/url]www.greyhoundpetsinc.org/muzzles.html

G

·
Try feeding them pineapple with their meals. A few cubes each. Pineapple is supposed to make it taste bad to them.

Also have you changed food or anything. Maybe your doodle isn't getting enough to eat.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
as i was shopping for some Bitter Apple..i saw some stuff
that is suppose to help deter dog s from eating poo..

i don t have this problem..but, if i did it s likely id give it a try..
it was at Petco that i saw this stuff..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Muzzle and food change

Thank you to both posters regarding your suggestions, much appreciated.

Regarding the feeding of the dogs, typically I would do that late afternoon everyday, how-ever for the Doodle I may begin to feed her twice a day, morning and late afternoon. Hopefully this will minimize any hunger pangs that she may be having.

Also, I feed both dogs a different diet, perhaps putting them on the same brand might make a difference. We''ll keep you posted. Also, the idea of Pineapple will be tried. Not sure though if it will be agreeable to their stomachs.

Regarding the muzzle, sounds like a good idea and I will certainly consider that option as well.

Thanks again, please keep the suggestions coming in!
-MarcusV

G

·
Pineapple is a natural digestive aid in dogs. So far most dogs love it but there is always that exception.

I think the idea of feeding twice a day may help too.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I would try the pineapple before the muzzle. Pineapple is supposed to be good for dogs. Our 2 have sensitive stomachs and they have no problem eating pineapple.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had a lab do this and my vet told us to sprinkle meat tenderizer on their food and it would make them stop eating the feces. Changes the taste I guess, as disgusting as that sounds.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't know that it really has to do with hunger, Trooper will eat then go out and eat some poop for dessert. I have been leaving some when I clean up and I put tabasco on it :lol: He's such a pig, he's probably still eating it!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
another thought for you...could you try to be really diligent about picking up their poop very often? that way your doodle wouldn't have the chance to eat it. Dogs are so gross sometimes!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have heard that this sometimes happens when the dog poop contains undigested food protein due to problems with digestion. Does your doodle only eat the poop from your German Shepard or does it eat all poop? Maybe you could change your Shepard's diet?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
pineapple is fine especially for sensitive tummmy doodles
also good for firming up mushy poop, is an antioxidant and loaded with vitamins. But don't give more than say 2 heaping teaspoons
OR it will make them constipated and/or have cling ons hahhaaaa

·
Registered
140 Posts
Re: Muzzle and food change

MarcusV said:
Regarding the feeding of the dogs, typically I would do that late afternoon everyday, how-ever for the Doodle I may begin to feed her twice a day, morning and late afternoon. Hopefully this will minimize any hunger pangs that she may be having.

-MarcusV
I totally agree with the feeding twice a day. If you look at threads in the past, my doodle as well as others seem to get an upset stomach if they have nothing in them for 10-12 hours. I even go as far as to give a bedtime snack (just a small bit of food to hold her over). Your doodle may be trying to relieve some hunger or an upset tummy during the day. I know with my pup, breakfast is her favourite meal. She is absolutly frantic in the morning for food. Definetly try spreading meals to twice a day.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Boyd went through a stage where he ate his poop all the time - now he only does it if he wants to get attention. I tried all the aforementioned remedies and unfortunately none of them worked except for watching him poo and then cleaning it up immediately (or taking him on a walk so I could bag it).

If you do the watch and wait method, don't let him know you're watching. If Boyd sees me, he immediately turns around, grabs a piece and runs!! Let the games begin!! :roll:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I think you would be smart to feed both dogs the same food. Then their poops would smell more similar and not as "exotic". I think feeding twice a day is a good plan too.

Good luck! This is a common problem but hopefully, solveable. :)

Deb

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I agree it's not a hunger thing... but a "dog thing". Some just enjoy doing it... and quite seriously it doesn't hurt them, it's just gross to watch or get kisses after. :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts