1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
greenies

WOW! I hope everyone reads that article. I had been giving Howdy
greenies, which he LOVES and will probably miss. I quit several weeks
ago because I noticed that he seemed to have a slight hacking cough
after eating them. They are way too expensive to give more than once a week or so, so it was easy to tell it was the Greenies causing the
problem. Thanks for the post. That affirms my decision.
Patty and Howdy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sure is something to be carefull of. Like all chew items I think you need to supervise the dog and make sure you take away the small pieces when it is chewed too small and make sure you are using the right size of chew. For most doodles I would say the "BIG" ones of course.... With 13 related deaths reported since 2003 and literally millions of users it seems it can be used safely with supervision. These can be a little messy also and they seem to always need a drink after enjoying one to wash the grit down. Just be carefull......

·
Registered
14 Posts
I noticed that my doodle would throw up(mostly greenish/brown liquid) the morning after having a Greenie, so we stopped giving them to him and he hasn't vomited since. My doodle does 'gulp', so I did notice large pieces of Greenies in his poop...I suppose he may have been having short lived partial bowel obstructions(?). Now, if I plan to give him a greenie, I'll warm it in the microwave in a wet towel and cut it up for him...sort of defeats the purpose though, so I'm not going to buy them anymore.

·
Registered
128 Posts
been there...

This happened to Cody. He started pawing frantically at his head and crying. He had a half-eaten greenie stuck across his throat. I had to dig down there and pull it out. If I hadn't been right there I think he could have choked and been seriously injured or dead. I don't buy them anymore.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I actually stopped a lady at PetSmart tonight and told her that I hated to impose, but asked if she had read any of the stuff about greenies :oops: She put them back and didn't buy them. I hate to be an alarmist but my Maltese forum (rarely visited) claims many close calls. Smaller breed may be more dangerous? I just can't justify taking the chance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I stopped giving those to Alice a while back....she seemed to get loose stools after eating them...She did love them though!

JAN

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Thanks, Michael, for the information.
I agree with DoodleTaxi that we need to supervise all chewie treats for the same reasons. Although, I will admit that it is much easier said than done!
Very scary stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts