Labradoodle Forums banner

best time of year to have puppies?

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  sdrudge 
#1 ·
We are in the midst of testing Hershey for breeding (hurry up Pawsitive ID). We are also looking into finding studs and planning which heat we will breed her. Here is the question, she is due for heat in September, which puts birth into novmber, placing the puppies after xmas in january. is it better to wait until the summer since peope are tighter on money after the holiday and its harder to house train a puppy in winter (due to our dislike of cold, lol).

#2 ·
It's hard to say...I have never liked selling Christmas puppies, but people do it all the time. You have the advantage since you don't have the male at home...sometimes they take the decision our of our hands!
Early spring sometimes puts people in the mood for a pup, but sometimes it also means vacation time and people don't want a puppy then...I have found the best luck just before school starts in the fall.
But springtime is good too. It is really hard to say because the market changes so quickly.
The economy being bad also affects sales...buying Doodles is a luxury and often people forego luxurys in hard financial times...
Good luck! It is a gamble!! :wink:

#3 ·
my logic may not be very logical to someone else..but, i say towards the end of yr..it s cold and wet..but, it had advatages..

during the warmer months there are more bugs and with doggie poo ur going to have flys everywhere..as well allergens..

you can always warm a puppy..but, its difficult to keep them cool..

Toby has grown to enjoy the cold rather than the heat..even on cooler day s he prefer s to lay on the cold tile floor s rather than cuddle under a warm blanket..

when he first came home at 18mos. he originally hated the cold and rain..while potty training id take him out on a leash and repeatedly say potty and when he did he was rewarded by be taken back into the house..
after a while it began to be very habit forming..whenever i say potty, out he go s whether he needs to or not...and sometime s he fakes it just so he ll get a ataboy.. :lol:

#4 ·
Dante was born in early December and the litter was advertised as Valentine's pups since that was when they were ready to come home. It actually worked out best to raise him during the icky weather - it's easier to stay home and no warm spring weather tempting you to take your puppy out before it is fully vaccinated. It also puts them at a nice age to start formal training classes in the spring when you have more daylight.

Heather

#5 ·
I had a litter born last Sept so was selling them in Nov... It was my first Labradoodle litter, but the first 8 sold quickly and the last one was 4.5 months old before I sold it. (Think Winter in Wisconsin)

The litter I have now that's 3 weeks old tomorrow will be ready to go in mid June, and I have half of them reserved already plus 2 reserved from our upcoming litter due in 3 weeks. I am expecting another 2 deposits before weeks end... so that will mean 3/4 of this litter is sold before it's a month old.

I don't know if it's due to time of year, that our name's gotten out, or that our marketing has had time to grab the attention of google and other search engines, but they're going a lot faster this time.

#6 ·
Peanut was from a litter born on NOV 29, 2006 and the pups were ready to go to their new homes 1st week in February.

my breeder didn't have a problem selling all 12 of them. :D

#7 ·
I usually have my puppies in the winter so I get my figure back in shape by bathing suit season..... :shock: :oops: :wink: :lol:

Sorry.....couldn't help myself, back to your regularly scheduled topic.....please forgive me....... :wink:

#9 ·
Since you are so far North I would give serious consideration to springtime. Fresh blooming flowers and puppies, what could be better? Good Luck!

Hey Gene some people call that Bestiality. I call it Puppy Love!!! :D :D :D :D

#11 ·
So Gene...when you're nursing, do you change your diet? :wink:

MTD: if he says he eats BARF or RAW ... :shock:

#12 ·
I would say wait ..most people love the warmer months for the puppy , it is easier to train , warmer, more comfortable for pups and people, since they spend every 2-3 hours outside training the doggies...

And it is easier to not have to worry about NewBorn pups getting cold...It is always a worry for us with winter litters...

Kelsey had this past litter in January and the pups went in the end of March without a problem, but keeping the area warm so the pups werent in danger wasn't always easy..and if you ever had to drive the litter to the Vets and the car broke down then what...that was always in the back of my mind and could be a real danger to the newborn pups..Thats is why we make the Vet do house calls..
I worry too much I think but its all for the sake of the pups...

#15 ·
2 things I will comment on.....if you have alot of snow, there may be a problem with people that WANT a puppy but are afraid to travel in the bad weather/snow. I live at 3,500 feet and with the wacky weather last year, ended up meeting some people part way. I drove 3 1/2 hrs. on one puppy, but it was worth it for the home he got!
The other is making a name for yourself, knowing how the puppies turned out from a previous litter, & being able to show people what to expect. Actually Tink kinda said the same thing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.