Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
G

·
Our puppy is 13.5 weeks old and we have been feeding him Nutro Max Puppy Food (it's in a lavendar bag). This came recommended by the breeder. We also give him vitamins from Nuvet.

For the first two weeks at breakfast and dinner, we softened his food with water and microwaved it and then mixed a tablespoon of the nutro canned puppy food into it. Now he's on all dry food.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I finally found one that is working well

was feeding nutro natural choice lavendar bag,,then went to authority brand with petsmart
now im feeding Nutro Natural chicken meal rice and oatmeal,,ohhh mannn its great,,the poop is nice and firm, they digest it easily and best of all NO CORN,,try it you will love it!!!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
We started on Nurto Max puppy...Then went to Natural Choice premium and now we are using Costco's puppy food. Somewhere on this forum is an excellent article about choosing food and they rated the most pupolar brands from Canin to Ole Roy and I was shocked to find that some of the most expensive brands were not rated the best. Natural choice was the highest rated, but Costco's food rated aobut 3rd or 4th. If I can find it I will refer.....Does anyone else remember reading this? It is a great rescource...Leslie

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Here it is again

The nutro chicken rice and oatmeal is a new formula btw,,and it is for sensitive tummies ,,,i cant tell you how much i like it,,course you clean up enough poop you will appreciate it more,,LOL,,,ohh and stay away far away from anything with corn in it,,,!!!!!

How to grade your dog's food:
Start with a grade of 100:
1) For every listing of "by-product", subtract 10 points
2) For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points
3) If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points
4) For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source, subtract 5 points
5) If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewers rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points
6) If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points
7) If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points

8 ) If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3 points

9) If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 more points

10) If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil, subtract 2 points

11) If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points

12) If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points

13) If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points

14) If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to beef), subtract 1 point

15) If it contains salt, subtract 1 point
Extra Credit:
1) If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points

2) If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or nutritionist, add 5 points

3) If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points

4) If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points

5) If the food contains fruit, add 3 points

6) If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points

7) If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2 points

8 ) If the food contains barley, add 2 points

9) If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2 points

10) If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point

11) If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point

12) For every different specific animal protein source (other than the first one; count
"chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "" as 2 different sources), add 1 point
13) If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point
14) If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point
94-100+ = A
86-93 = B
78-85 = C
70-77 = D
<70 = F
Here are some foods that have already been scored. If you don't see your dog's food here, ask and someone will score it for you.
Dog Food scores:
Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+

Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 F

Canidae / Score 112 A+

Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+

Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F

Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B

Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 A+

Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+

Foundations / Score 106 A+

Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 B

Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 D

Innova Dog / Score 114 A+

Innova Evo / Score 114 A+

Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+

Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B

Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy / Score 87 B

Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 F

ProPlan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 A+

Purina Benful / Score 17 F

Purina Dog / Score 62 F

Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 F

Royal Canine Bulldog / Score 100 A+

Royal Canine Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 A+

Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 A

Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 F

Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 F

Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 A+

Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 A

·
Registered
294 Posts
we have tried lots of foods, and otto likes Hilife food which is semi moist, dont know if it is the best but he loves the variety and he gets othre foods also such as tuna fish in sunflower oil and lots of chicken

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
another vote for the Nutro Natural Sensitive Stomach Puppy Food

my adults eat the adult food, coats are awesome, no allergy issues
healthy energetic etc

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I know whatcha mean

That food just is amazing me,,I just love it,,glad to hear the adult food is just as good as the pup food,,may just change over my adults too1!! thanks Movistar

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all again, we checked with our vet but we love your opinion too. We can't get enough help. This is our first litter and we want it to the best. Our puppies are growing in leaps and bounds. Its still fun when does it get to be work? Besides the cleaning, laundry, weighing, making sure they are all handled and loved (all 11 of them!) and time for the mom and dad, our kids, work and everything else we have to do..lol..thanks again.. keep checking the site for new pictures. and wishing you all the best! Oh yeah and having them vet checked. oh well October is comming time for a vacation!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Great advice here...thanks everyone...Nancy, I think I'll try the Nutro Chicken and Rice for sensitive tummies...sounds like a winner!

As for weaning, I really like Eukunuba (sp?) Weaning Formula! You can always add in another brand in a week or so, but the weaning formula is small, ground dog food (dry) and you add water to make it the consistency you want...it is great for tiny puppies just learning to eat. They love it.

When I start using regular kibble, I add a little to the weaning formula and continue to add warm water (because the puppies really like the warm water added.) As they get older I phase out the WF and just feed kibble, sometimes with water, sometimes dry.

I wish that all brands would make a weaning formula...

Adult food? Well, I use Hills Science Diet, SMALL BITES...I know that Hills scores are bad...(I have never seen an evaluation on small bites, I'll have to check the numbers) but I have tried EVERY brand...really...(except for the one Nancy mentioned, which I'll try) but my dogs go without eating for days at a time if they hate the food...and they don't like any of the "good" brands! What I found is that, even though my dogs are large, they want tiny kibble! So, when we tried the "small bites" from Hill, the dogs ate it! I found out that they just like the smaller pieces of kibble...and since you can get it in adult food, I switched. I figure that even lower quality food is better than no food! (This kibble is about the size of a small pea.)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
jac the nutro is also the size of a small pea. it takes about 1/2 hour to really soak but it puffs up perfect and its so cute cause the bigger puppies from the beginning try to put a whole one in their mouth! and they are usually successful but its so soft it turns to gruel! The rest is immediately walked into gruel and everyone takes part!! no fuss no muss :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I bought some today...I think we have tried it before, but we'll see if my gang likes this new type...hope so!

(Michelle, I can just see those puppies with the food! Cute!)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yum! LOL

I have to share feeding pix of mine too! (I love this time in the puppie's lives...they are so innocent and cute and they always sleep in the food!)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts