Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We want to protect Sam and also see if fleas are the cause of his increasing itchiness...

Vet said Frontline or Advantix...

What does everyone use/like?
Wheres the best place to get it?

thanks,

Alicia & Sam

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
We use the K-9 Advantix because it takes care of fleas,ticks and mosquitos, frontline doesnt take care of skeeters

I buy it at my Vet - but I'm sure if you google it you will find places on line to buy, you can compare prices, I get at vet because it' convenient

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't use either Frontline or Advantix on Nicky because he gets one Sentinel pill each month. It protects against fleas, heartworms, and several other worms which I can't remember right off hand. It's easy and convenient, but expensive. My vet says to use it year round. Nicky has had no fleas and no worms of any sort, so I guess it works very well!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We use the K-9 Advantix because it takes care of fleas,ticks and mosquitos, frontline doesnt take care of skeeters

I buy it at my Vet - but I'm sure if you google it you will find places on line to buy, you can compare prices, I get at vet because it' convenient
ditto. We buy it at dog.com...it's much much cheaper than from the vet.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I use Advantix too, but small puppies can't use it...they have to have Advantage or Frontline.
Advantix also protects against ticks, Advantage and Frontline are for fleas...some include 'skeeters...
Although you can buy this in almost any store, the vet (RX) type is much stronger and more effective.
I also use Heartguard for heartworm and internal parasites.
If you get fleas in the home, you have a huge problem...we once lived in a home (we had no pets) and one day we started seeing bites on us...never even thinking about fleas because we had no pets...I'd see tiny "gnats" or fruit flies, but didn't connect them with the bites which I thought must be from spiders...one day while looking at a pile rug I noticed a little speck sort of flipping around...I flicked my finger through the rug and there were THOUSANDS of them! Fleas!!!
We had exterminators come out and they worked for months before they finally got them...it turned out that we had ...creatures under our house...possum, rats, ugh! We hired someone to clean it all out and seal it off...then the pest control worked. It was awful! We would wear white socks that would become covered with black specks!
You can also put a night light near the floor, and a sticky mouse trap under it and if you have fleas, some (or many) will be trapped in the sticky stuff.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
oh yuck Jac! I got the chills reading your story...I hate bugs and other small creatures. With our mild winter we haven't caught even one mouse yet in our basement traps (knock on wood) and that is fine with me!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We're not sure if he actually has fleas but we've wanted to protect him since we adopted him anyways...

The vet said to lay him down on a white sheet and look for "flea dirt" when he gets up... Anyone tried this before?

Also, my cats would be itchy too, right?

So Advantix seems to be favored? Is topical and spot treatment better than the oral stuff?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Is topical and spot treatment better than the oral stuff?
I actually never heard of oral flea meds before...very interesting.

The topical treatment is just a little messy, but we try to give it and then give them baths 3-4 days after so it works out fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts