Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone ...

I am wondering at what age you all had your dogs neutered? Dan is 5 months old yesterday, and I've heard mixed things about whether to wait until 6 months or not. I'm a teacher heading back to work very soon though, so I'd rather have the procedure done now when I can spend more time with him during recovery. Also, did you notice any changes in behavior / personality after neutering?? I'm feeling very apprehensive about this whole thing!! :?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
For a male

the closer to 6mths the better, or even up to 8mths
if testicles havent dropped then wait
do you have a contract that states he must be nuetured by a certain date? if so go by the breeders recommendation

·
Registered
333 Posts
I was wondering the same thing about spaying. I guess I will just go with whatever the vet recommends. I have always heard that neutering does calm down male dogs but does spaying have the same effect of females?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner was neutered at 5 months. He did very well. The procedure was done with laser surgery and he recovered very quickly...two days and he was back to normal but had to be kept quiet for 1 week (we tried). The only difference I noticed was that after a month no more trying to hump everyone (it actually got worse for about a month then no more) :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
yes sometimes

maturity is actually what helps the most, pups will be pups,,LOL

Didnt your breeders have you sign spay/nueture contracts that the pups had to be altrered by a certain age or date?

ohh and after the surgury they tend to gain weight so careful on that one
dont want a overweight dog you will have issues later

·
Registered
50 Posts
We had Dexter neutered at 5 months and he was perfectly fine. He didn't seem to notice anything was different. :wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
We neutered Denver at 8 months closer to nine
as per my opinion of research I had done and my vet
concurred with the later age. :wink: :wink:
You will get many different opinions so if you are comfortable
with your vet and his/her knowledge than go with what they
tell you. Denver acted like it was nothing, I was the one that was
crying. Bahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My vet won't do it until 6 months - Sandy is scheduled for the 21st of this month (Woohoo!)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all so much for your advice!! I have another related (and slightly silly) question ... Dan still squats to use the bathroom, rather than lift his leg. If I neuter him now, do you think he'll ever lift his leg?? I don't want the other boy dogs to make fun of him in the park. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
usually a male dog will start to lift his leg at around 7 months. I don't know about neutered dogs, however.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
LOL

Bailey my standard Poodle didnt lift his leg until he was 9mths old
my 4lbs maltese started at 4 mths,ugghh
i prefer a squatter,,,LOL :lol:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Some will some won't
Denver lifts most of the time but if he does not
feel like it then he just pees. To date no other doggies have made
fun of him yet.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Tucker the beagle mix wasn't neutered until 9 months and he started lifting his leg shortly after - Of course I wish he'd squat since a lifted leg is an invitation for Sandy to sniff... I can't tell you how many times I've had to clean pee from the fur on his head!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
thats funny!! it reminds me of when our lab thought it would be good to pee where our four pound poodle was peeing but he forgot to wait for the poodle to move!!!! 100 pounds of dog peeing sure soaks a rat dog!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
movistar said:
thats funny!! it reminds me of when our lab thought it would be good to pee where our four pound poodle was peeing but he forgot to wait for the poodle to move!!!! 100 pounds of dog peeing sure soaks a rat dog!
OMG :!: ROFL

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter is 12 months old and lifts his leg 1/2 of the time...he'll only lift if there is something to lift on (tree, etc). Otherwise he still squats :)

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
The downside to them lifting their leg is that they do seem to think they have to pee ON something. A car wheel, plants, or whatever... and they don't always pick things that hold up to it well.
Thanks to Moses, one side of my peony plant is looking pretty sad. LOL

1 - 20 of 30 Posts