Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need good thoughts and prayers for Bella's trip to the Ryan Vet Hospital at University of Penn.
The orthopedic vets will be examining her and giving their input on her dysplastic hips.
I am scared to death because I stumbled upon a website with a hip xray and puppy age that is almost identical to Bella's
and this is what the expert stated:

This is a photo of a very bad set of hips. It's questionable if surgery could even correct this dog's problem.
These are hips from an 8-month old German Shepherd that came from a back yard breeder.
A dog with hips like this should be put down. It is facing a life of pain.
It will be an all day trip for us. I will try and post when we get home.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
May god's blessings be with all of you. And also Bella will be in my prayers daily.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Our prayers will definately be with you and Bella. Are you going tomorrow? Have a safe trip and you will be in our thoughts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I am going tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I can't sleep and was exploring the Penn website.
:( Now I really can't sleep:
http://www.vet.upenn.edu/ryan/vettech/photos/
I can't even imagine how she is going to act in an environment like that.
I'm scared just looking at the pictures.
She is not allowed to eat after midnight, so hopefully they will sedate her for any needed tests or xrays.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Linda, you and Bella will be in my prayers. She will fed off your energy, so the calmer you remain, the better. I know, easy advice to give, harder to do. Good luck to you both!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Just to let you know, I am thinking of you both today. Gene is right in that Bella will feel your fear, so stay strong and know that there are lots of prayers being sent your way :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you from the bottom of my heart to each and every one of you!

I just got home and Bella is exhausted and still woozy from the sedation. She has no interest in eating. She hasn't eaten since last night, because they thought they would sedate her for the xray.

The doctor at Penn was wonderful. She said she is appalled that the comment: "A dog with hips like this should be put down" on a website that is trying to educate people. She said there are alot of supportive measures and surgeries being done now and it is now rare to put a young puppy to sleep because their hips are bad.

Bella is not a candidate for the TPO surgery because her acetabulum (the cup where her femur is supposed to fit tightly) is too shallow. (The TPO surgery is where the pelvis is reset so the cup better fits around the femur. It has to be done before arthritic changes take place, it's usually done on 4 months to 12 (possibly 15) month puppies. That is why it is important to get the dysplasia diagnosis early. This surgery is usually successful).

So Bella will be treated with anti-inflammatories as needed and Cosequin (Glucosamin and Chondroitin for dogs).

The chance of a dog with dysplasia evident on xray developing severe symptoms is 40%. So 60% of dogs with hip dysplasia do not go on to exhibit severe symptoms. No one is sure why one dog gets so affected and the other dog with a similar xray does not. Although Bella is showing symptoms now, she said maybe she will not get worse (symptom wise).

If she does get worse then a hip replacement can be done or a femoral head osteotomy (FHO). If needed, the doctor seemed to favor the FHO for Bella because she is a small dog (44 pounds) and it works better for small dogs and because recovery is a little easier and it is cheaper and has less chance of complications than the total hip replacement.

I feel so fortunate that I have you all to come to and you all understand how I'm feeling. So, again I thank you all for your wonderful support and caring.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
We'll pray that Bella will never develop anymore symptoms. It's amazing what they can do now days. Get some rest and give Bella a big hug from all of us :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
bella will continue in our prayers and hope .
And I am glad you got a good vet that can offer possible alternatives if the need arises.

My you and bella continue to have better days ahead :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts