Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

We have a real problem with Bella chewing stuff. Last night she ate a friends mobile phone (she's never done this before, chews most things but never phones)

We know that she missing her chewies terribly. She's on a special total exclusion diet hence no chewies. We fill her Kong up with her diet food and wrap it in tea towels for her to find her way into.

I've lost count of how many toys she has destroyed, we've brought every kind of toy you can imagine, even the super tough ones. Nothings lasted longer than a couple of weeks.

Does anyone have any suggestions of puzzle type games/toys to keep her entertained? The kong is good but we can't fill that all day every day. We also hide her special bickies in her crate etc.

Help, the phones going to cost us a couple of hundred to replace! :shock:

She loves to chew :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
My Digby loves to chew! Destroyed a pair of my Dansko shoes $100 lesson not to leave the shoes out. :wink:

We use the cong too, Santa brought it to him. He has spent a couple of hours trying to get the treats out. But now he chews for about a half hour and comes to me with it and I get the rest out. It is all mushy and dog drool. (I did it a few times, getting the treat out and now he figured out that I will do that for him) I have also found that a lacrosse ball is indestructable. He has one but I only give it to him when he can be supervised. He is content with those as well as some stuffed toys that he hasn't destroyed, he actually sleeps with them. He also has one of the stringy bones. It is all thread, it is supposed to help with plaque. They sometimes swallow the thread, (my other dog did) but this doodle spits it out so there is string all over the place but it keeps him busy. He now goes around taking my son's beanies and little stuffed toys and walks around with them. Drops them on the floor as to say look what I found!

Hope that helps!

Chris

·
Registered
215 Posts
Aww I feel so bad for you guys and your pup- it must be so hard not being able to chew anything! My Summer had some sensitive stomach issues and we had to stop the rawhides and chewies for a while... until we figured out what was wrong. We did a few things that helped- first, we exercised her a lot more so she wouldn't be bored and want to chew things. A tired dog is a good dog! We also took washcloths or small towels, rolled them, soaked them in water or chicken broth, and put them in the freezer. They love the frozen sticks! Just make sure you take it away when it starts to melt because they can chew apart the towel! We also gave her a lot of ice cubes. Also, if you can put her somewhere that's easy to clean (a tiled kitchen or a crate), you could take her special kibble, fill a kong up to the top with the kibble, then fill it with water, wrap it in plastic wrap, and put it in the freezer. It takes them longer and they have to really work to get the frozen kibble out (but it does get a little messy). Also nylabones are good- Summer only chews them when nothing else is around- she likes the chicken flavored ones. Good luck!

Bridget and Summer

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oh shoot! I forgot the best toy of all! It is super cheap, easy, and you don't have to go to the pet store to get it! Take an old tennis ball, cut a hole in it with scissors or a knife (please be careful! I don't want to be responsible for any trips to the emergency room!). The hole should be about the same size as the kibble. The smaller the hole, the more challenging it is. If the hole is too big, the game is too easy and only lasts 2 minutes. Fill the tennis ball with kibble, and put it on the ground. Summer loves this and she rolls it around the whole house. Just be careful because they will chew off the tennis ball material after the food runs out, so you may have to take it away after the food runs out. Summer gets her breakfast in a tennis ball every morning! I know it sounds dumb, but I hope it helps!

Bridget and Summer

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K9Summer said:
Oh shoot! I forgot the best toy of all! It is super cheap, easy, and you don't have to go to the pet store to get it! Take an old tennis ball, cut a hole in it with scissors or a knife (please be careful! I don't want to be responsible for any trips to the emergency room!). The hole should be about the same size as the kibble. The smaller the hole, the more challenging it is. If the hole is too big, the game is too easy and only lasts 2 minutes. Fill the tennis ball with kibble, and put it on the ground.
Bridget and Summer
Brilliant! Bella loved this one and tennis balls are cheaper than doy toys after all :lol:

We're trying to wean her off tea towels though :oops:

We have our own rule on crating, no more than four hours unless sleeping overnight and she's always tired out with a long walk before crating. She does get bored though and that's when she goes on a wrecking mission, floorboards, clothes anything really.

We have some of those huge plastic balls that you fill with treats but they are too heavy for indoor use if we value our toes. She loves puzzles and being very smart it never takes her long to figure these things out.

Any other suggestions anyone?
thanks to all so far

G

·
There's a "puzzle" toy called a Buster Cube that our dogs enjoy playing & it keeps them occupied for long periods of time. It's a 5-6" cube that is filled with dry kibble & the pieces have to travel thru a maze to come out. You can set the level of difficulty & the dogs roll, drop & shake it until something finally comes out. It's super-tough so it can't be destroyed. We've had one that all 3 dogs have used since 1996! It's available thru pet supply catalogs.
Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
toys & games

Hi everyone!
I haven't visited in a long time[due to another arm/wrist operation] and it
feels wonderful to reunite with my Doodle family :!: :D We have had a
hard time finding toys that keep Reagan entertained [Doodle ADD? :? ]but
we finally found one :!: This treasure is called BA-DA-BEAM, and it was
discovered at Walgreens - for $15.00. It is a small device that projects
a laser light when the lid is lifted - and turns off automatically after 15 min.
Reagan loves chasing the laser beam - and is determined to catch it. She
plays with it for hours! We named it 'the fly' -and when we ask her
"where's the fly?" - she runs to it - and goes crazy. The 'fly' has been a
life[and sanity] saver!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Julee

is that availble in the Uk would you know?

We also brought her some bones that she can chew and chew without swallowing anything, she's not mad keen on them but it's all she can have with her exclusion diet. She's loving the tennis ball filled with her food.

I relented and brought yet another toy home, we'll be lucky if it survives the month though :roll:

she sits and quietly nuzzles her toys and seems to chew them apart in no time. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts