Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Bella had an episode of diarrhea and vomiting on Thursday night. I withheld her food all day yesterday and late last night she vomited red liquid with flecks of blood and mucous in it. I remembered the vet saying not to panic over blood when she throws up, it's just her stomach being irritated. So I waited til this morning and called. He reassured me that it's probably just irritated stomach, 'coffee grounds' type throw up is much worse because it means internal bleeding, and she has not had this at all. He said withhold food again today and call if she throws up again.
I did try to give her some food before I talked to the vet and she was not interested. Poor baby, she seems lethargic and sad. I'm washing her beds that got all messy, so she is so pathetic laying on a beach towel in her usual spot.
I had just made the complete switch over to Canidae, after mixing it with her old food for about 3 weeks. I asked if he thought that could be an issue and he said, No.
I feel bad she is not eating again all day today...2 whole days without food, no wonder she is lethargic...
He said try to feed her again tonight...I forgot to ask what? Any suggestions? Or should I just try the Canidae?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
LINDA 1st talk to you vet again and in the meantime FORGET DOG FOOD at the moment, Bella should be on a bland diet for 3 to 5 days to let her system calm down. OR at least that is what 3 vets have had me do in the past and remember PEANUT?

so after fasting we did a bland diet of boiled chicken, rice, teasponn of pumpkin, slice of sweet potato ONLY...chicken is a lean meat, so is venison and lamb...beef buy lean I DO NOT use beef last time only chicken. I also added a TINY bit of water to mix.

then after 3 days or so I added 1/8th cup canidae to bland diet for 2 out of 3 meals after 2 days I went up to 1/4cup ...2 more days try 1/2 cup canidae and so on.

above all, you can consult OVER the phone with your vet so you aren't charged again.

I am soooooooooooo sorry this is happening to YOU and BELLA my heart goes out to both of you...hang in there it does get better. Max and Peanut are living proof as are my cooking skills hahahhahaa

PLEASE LET ME KNOW what goes on and you can always PM me ok?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Linda, puppy prayers and crossed paws for a swift recovery from your Ohio friends (stalkers). Hope Bella's on the mend soon! Keep us posted please.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
She threw up again a tiny bit this morning, definitely still blood. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I thought when it happened the first time (a few months ago )it was from her anti-inflammatory meds or maybe the supplement for her hips, so I stopped them...now I see that it probably was not that...
I kept her from eating all day, just water...and finally she perked up a bit at 5pm...I'm going to try and feed her a little something now...chicken, I guess. I'll keep you posted. Thanks All for your concern!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ohhh linda i am so sorry to hear this...did you call your vet yet?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Linda, this type of vomit has happened with one of my dogs and the vet said the same thing...not to worry, as long as it is pink/red it is just an irritation. STILL, I think that your vet should be testing and treating her. I'd try another vet.
I also completely agree with what AnnMarie has said...forget the dog food and get her on home cooked, bland diet. You will be amazed. Keep it really soupy at first, then put more into it as time goes on.
But, by all means, get her to another vet. She could be dehydrated, which would account for her lethargy. THAT can be very dangerous...she may need IV fluids to get her past this.
I don't think I'd wait...if you have an emergency vet, take her in...ask them to test her for renal failure if you have been feeding her any food other than Canidae since November...
I'm praying that it is nothing, but personally, I would rather pay a vet to test and be sure than to wait and let my dog get worse or suffer.
Also, ask the vet if you can give her some PeptoBismol. It really helps my dogs when they are sick. They HATE it, but it helps them.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Jac and Annmarie. She stopped being lethargic around 4pm...and I was watching her water intake all day....I just fed her a 1/4 cup of a chicken/rice/water mixture and she gobbled it down. I feel bad giving her so little, but I want to make sure she keeps it down, right? She has only had Canidae and Wellness dry, both safe foods (as much as we can say 'safe' at this point). No treats except Moo ears (organic cow ears) and raw marrow bones. I'm glad to hear someone else has heard of blood equalling irritation..I had never heard of it before...thanks Jac.
I just finished putting her bed back together after washing it and cooking her dinner (I didn't even cook for the family today :oops: ). I tell her all the time, "You're lucky you're cute cuz you're a lot of work!" :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Linda...i love my doodles as much as i do my kids and dave.

sooooooooo i feel for you and things will get better. I wonder if for now hold off on treats just bland diet till all clears up.

and we are always here for you and bella

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Also thank you Jac for your helpfullness as being both a breeder and mom of doodles you've been through alot and know alot as well, besides being a caring individual too.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Poor girl..Dexter and I hope she's better soon.......

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Sure hope that Bella is better today!

AnnMarie, thanks...such sweet compliments...I don't deserve them, but am grateful for your friendship!

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the concern everyone! She did throw up again in the middle of the night, but not any of the food that I gave her. It was only blood and mucus and bile. I guess the food had digested by then. She smelled pretty bad, so I just gave her a bath. I just ground up a little more chicken and rice and water (about a quarter cup). I know I should probably still be withholding food, but she has to be starving and she acts just fine. Anyway, we will be going to the vet tomorrow if it happens again. She is so soft and smells so good after her bath...and she was much calmer this time...I really had to get her head and face done well and every time I bathe her she hangs her head over the edge of the tub and won't let me get it nice and clean or even very wet....so this time I put on a bathing suit and got into the shower/tub WITH her and shut the shower doors so she couldn't hang her head out :lol: Worked much better and she smells great!
I sure hope she is better by Tuesday because that is her grooming appointment we have waited 10 days for!
And Thank Goodness I passed on Flash because I know this would not have been a good time to introduce him to Bella and I'm sure it would have complicated things...plus I probably would be blaming the stress of a new dog on her vomiting since it started the first night he would have been here...and I still can't think of any reason why this is occurring (besides a doggy virus?)

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Lisa! So far, so good. Two feedings of the Annmarie special :) (chicken, rice and water) and she seems OK. Running and playing in the yard today, happy even though she must have been hungry, so I hope she gets thru the night without any issues.
The blood has a very identifiable smell to it. Not exactly terrible, just very specific...plus it is extremely scary to see.
Thanks again everyone for their support.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I hope Bella feels better...isn't it weird how they can be sick like that but play like nothing is wrong?

I was chuckling at your bath story - my husband wound up in the tub with Dexter today because his head was really dirty from his rolling in the dirt at the dog park and he's not that happy when we wash his head. I wish I had my camera around because it was pretty funny.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Glad to hear she's feeling better! Still doing well this morning I hope?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Linda, sorry to hear that Bella is under the weather. Deva sends along her get well wishes that Bella's nose will be cold and wet again very soon!

I might question the moo ears, having read recently that pig's ears can cause digestive distress. Perhaps moo ears might also cause a problem.

Annmarie's bland diet has worked well for Deva when she gets a tummy upset. At one point when Deva was in her post partum squirts phase, I was afraid to give her brown rice, thinking she didn't need any further laxative effect. Only after white rice failed to bring the desired result did it occur to me that this type of sickness is the body's way of eliminating something that needs to be removed from the system. I changed to brown rice and things cleared up almost overnight.

Good luck in correcting the problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for being sooo patient with me and my never ending saga of Bella's illness. :D
She is back to normal today after 2 more chicken and rice meals...she noses the rice out of the way to get to the chicken :D . Deva, I also wonder about the cows ears but hate to think it could be them because she loves them sooo much and they don't smell at all and I just ordered a big box online. She has eaten them since she was a puppy without a problem. The only other possible thing would be the marrow bone...I had frozen a few because they come in a pack of 6...could it have been or gone 'bad?' It had probably been frozen for 3 weeks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts