Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Bella woke me up barking uncontrollably and then whining the other night at 3am. When I went to let her out, I found a 1 pound box of Christmas chocolates eaten on the floor...not NORMAL chocolates, these were called the '12 days of Christmas' and were filled with truffle stuff and chocolate liquer.
She was panting and looked scared. When I let her out, she ate snow.
I looked online and found that she probably did not get enough chocolate to be in severe danger, but she was definitely distressed. If she was a smaller dog, I know she would have needed medical help, her size saved her. Her paws were very hot and so was her mouth. Theobromine is the ingredient that causes the toxicity:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine_poisoning
She never vomited or had diarrhea, but she was absolutely wild. She did the 'puppy zoomies' for about 3 hours and would 'attack' my hands with her mouth like when she was a puppy. It was like she was saying "Help me". She would go in and out a million times. Sitting in the cold snow seemed to calm her a little. I fed her ice cubes and played with her and was super relieved when at 7am she finally went to sleep.
It was very scary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,619 Posts
Linda so sorry for yours and Bella's sleepless night. Hope all turns out (comes out?) well. Went through that with my Cocker a few years back with both fancy chocolate, and then later with coffee beans. It's no fun for anyone. Puppy prayers going out your way!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,203 Posts
OH LINDA...i just went through a scare with peanut almost 2 weeks ago.
the COLD AIR outside is easier for them to breathe as peanut too acted same way , was like she pleaded for me to help her.

and keep us posted. Hope Bella is fine now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,192 Posts
Linda how frightening! If they could only talk and let us know! You must've been in a total panic.........poor, poor Bella!! :cry:
You say the other night.......I am so hoping by now that she is doing well!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,918 Posts
oh no poor bella!! I hope she feels better.

Seriously - these older doodles have been out of control eating things they shouldn't! Tennis balls, socks, tampons :shock: , towels and now an entire box of chocolate???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,203 Posts
Something tells me our doodles won't fully mature till they really 3 years old and the 2yr period is a testing one like some other breeds of dogs.

I think sharing what we go through may end up helping others out and/or to possibly avoid these type of events or at least know what to do if it happens.

HOW is Bellla now?
 
G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Oops, sorry to worry everyone, Bella is fine. She was still hyper until last night...24 hours...MUCH better today! I think my youngest left the box of chocolate on the ottoman, so it was within easy reach and who could resist that smell? :lol:
I'm just very surprised she did not have vomiting or diarrhea. She had incredible thirst and therefore increased peeing. She also had major hyperactivity and fever. We were heading to the vet at 9am, but she was sleeping, with no fever, so I let her be. She is fine today, thank God!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
When our lab was about a year old she ate a box of chocolates. We received it as a house gift and then we went out to dinner with our guests leaving the box of chocolates on our kitchen counter. When we got back they were gone and she was upstairs in a bedroom with diarrhea. A large puddle of chocolate on the carpet. We worried about her, but all was well. Of course, a year old lab is a larger dog than your pup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,203 Posts
I wish someone would leave a box of chocolates for me!

my son and DAVE usually eat it all before i can even think of getting to it!
soooooooo luckily my doodles dont' stand a chance :wink:
 
G

·
Discussion Starter #13
I forgot, I made her eat some bread, too! Since I did not have charcoal to absorb any of the theo stuff that still might be in her stomach, I tried bread. Don't know if it helped, but it made me feel better.... :lol:
I also wondered if the alcohol in them made her 'drunk'? She would growl at me or anything as she was zooming all over the place...a really deep growl I have not heard before (and don't want to hear again!) :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,408 Posts
How frightening! I hate emergencies because my first reaction is denial because I don't know what to do therefore don't want to deal with it but of course I know I do, so it kind of immobilizes me. I'm so glad Bella is okay. I would have been worried sick.

Yes Annmarie, let's hope our shared experiences are a help to eachother. I learn so much on this forum. Thanks everyone! :)
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top