Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Calvin is 8 months old now and he is a BEAST when it comes to chewing. Our latest problem is his bed. He will chew open and disembowel a bed in 10 minutes flat! I have bought him many beds, and I am tired of wasting my money. One website I looked at advertised "indestructable" beds, but the consumer feedback said their dogs destroyed them in a matter of hours. And they are expensive! Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I hate for him to sleep o the hard, cold concrete at night. (He sleeps in the garage).
Thanks! Leslie
P.S., do you think he will outgrow this phase?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Leslie,
Yes, he will out grow this, but not until he ruins a lot of beds first! We have the same problem and the ONLY bed that our dogs don't destroy are two types 1) the crate liner bed, made from fleece with a thicker outer layer (think oval with band around it) and 2) those wonderful blankets from Costco! Those blankets are thick, and very soft...last forever and wash like a dream.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
leslie, some of us here in rochester have the bed SAM's club has: a rectangular shape with a felt like outer liner with memory foam inside.
The liner can also be WASHED :D :) :lol:

I hesitate with fleece as it mimics his toys.

we also have his bed in FRONT of the couch so Max is always at our feet when it's movie time. So when he 1st got the bed we could keep correcting him in the beginning to NOT chew it and put his bones/toys etc on it as well. So far it's worked. don't know if this helps.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas. The beds I have bought are from Costco. I love 'em, and he eats 'em! I have one of their blankets in the house and he leaves it alone, but I am afraid that as soon as it goes outside it will be history. He actually pulls the bed through the doggie door in order to take it outside! Maybe if he had a bed with an internal frame that he could NOT pull through the door? I'll keep trying! Thanks! Leslie

·
Registered
279 Posts
My doods ate all beds, bedding and bedlike materials. I came to believe that dog beds are just great marketing.... trying to get you to buy them over and over! But now, my doods are 17 months and the week before xmas I dragged out a barely rescued bed that we'd stored in our barn for the last several months. George now loves it passionately. Gracie got a new bed the next day and now they are so content to nap on them you wouldn't believe it! I think this is just a matter of growing up a little..... My best judgment is: no bed at all without constant supervision for another several months. Of course, this is presuming that your dood is an indoor dog and has a warm place to sleep....

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Lisa, love your dogs names and they are a beautiful pair. I have to thank you for using one of my favorite Groucho quotes! makes me smile everytime :lol:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Herein lies the problem. They sleep in the garage. It is insulated, but not heated and the concrete floor is COLD! My husband made 2 beds yesterday. One is Vinyl, the other is that heavy canvas material...Calvin had the vinyl one open and destroyed by morning. The canvas one is still in tact and I am hoping it will last at least one more night...Sheesh! Leslie

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ah! I see the problem. I think cold concrete is a little too much, too. Have you considered making them a little raised wooden "deck." If you just get them up off the floor on something with carpet at least.... My doods surprisingly never ate carpet, but I think it's because there's no "edge" to get started on, so maybe you could wrap a carpet remnant all the way around the edges and under the bottom.....? Just a thought. Or even a doghouse in the garage, with a raised floor, might work, especially if you could get one big enough for both of them. I'm not much help with the indestructible bed idea because after seeing what my guys did to beds at this age I just can't believe there's any such thing. However I will say that Orvis claims to have one that is indestructible and that they will give you REFUND if your dog destroys it. But it's pretty expensive and I have not tried it. Here's a link. Wonder if anybody on this forum has tried it?

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choi ... subcat_id=

·
Registered
279 Posts
Gene: Thanks for the compliment. We are, not suprisingly, in love with these guys. But I needed a dose of encouragement....none of our xmas company are "dog people" and they just can't stand them. "Eeeew, don't get close to me, I don't want to smell like you! Eeeew, my hands are clean, don't put your head under my hand! Eeeeew, do they always play in the dirt like that? Eeeew, eeeew, eeew."

Jonah is a beauty. Love the post grooming photo.... Our country dogs don't go to the groomers, but they get baths at home and after the ears are clean and the toenails clipped and the brushing is done, they look just like Jonah, all tuckered out!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Wow! What a great idea, Lisa! You could get a wooden pallet, fill it with insullation, some plywood on top and bottom and cover it in carpeting! No loose ends...I think that even MY dogs would not figure out to chew that up ... at least for a week or so. Seriously, that might work!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We checked out the Orvie bed and found them to be made of "marine Vinyl". My husband went out and bought some and it was destroyed before morning... :shock: I think a frame of sorts and a covering of carpet might work...I'll let you know what my husband conjers up. So far the canvas bed is still in tact, but it is just a matter of time, I'm sure.

Thanks! Leslie

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
2doodsmom said:
Our country dogs don't go to the groomers, but they get baths at home and after the ears are clean and the toenails clipped and the brushing is done, they look just like Jonah, all tuckered out!
The only reason i took "suburban" Jonah to the groomers, is because I'm afraid to trim black nails. I used to do my late cocker spaniel Peche's nails til I cut the quick on one and my kitchen looked like a scene from a slasher picture! :shock: Also, he was having problems with the runs at that time so I needed to get his little tucas shaved. I tried myself, but every time i got close, he bolted!, so I thought I'd leave it to the pros....which weren't actually. Next time I think I'll just pay the extra and have the vet do it! :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts