Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many of you have more than one doodle so you'll understand that Charlie loves other dogs and seems to need company. I find myself arranging play dates with neighborhood dogs, etc.

So in the back of my mind, I've been considering becoming a foster home for other high energy, social dogs. I haven't talked to our local shelters but I'm wondering if any of you are involved in a foster or rescue group and could share your experience. Could we be selective about which dogs we took? It would be important for any foster dog to get along with Charlie. And for the record, Charlie has never met a dog he doesn't want to be friends with. :wink:

Another option would be to offer boarding services. I can only guess that there would be some down sides to this but I haven't give it too much thought yet.

So what do y'all think? And please don't say we need another doodle!! I don't think we can do that on a full-time permanent basis.

Deb

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
[/quote]And please don't say we need another doodle!!
Bwahahahaha...that's exactly what I was going to say Deb!!!! Seriously tho, Annmarie has fostered many dogs in the past...she might be able to give you some tips!!! Good Luck! :wink:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Annabelle is like Charlie, loves having company.

Not sure how fostering works from the shelter, but you could call your local shelter and find out, you may have to have extra insurance

If you did boarding, I would think that would be considered a business and you would have to check with your county or city to find out business laws and what you are required to have, I would assume a business license and insurance to start.

Good luck with your decision - sounds like Charlie would be happy to have company :)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Start by having your friends leave their dogs with you for over night visits to see if it's for you. We dog sit for all our friends and it seems we have a visitor every other weekend, some times they over lap. Try that first to see if Charlie can adapt to different dogs in his house coming and going. Might be an eye opener for you too.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your thoughts! We are NOT getting another doodle! :lol:

Cinsmom, it does make sense to have other dogs on a trial basis. I guess that's pretty much what I had in mind with boarding. I didn't want it to become a full time business, just the occasion weekend visit.

Charlie often has dog "company" but usually we stay in the yard. One concern I have is whether or not he can slow down and relax with another dog around. He may just want to keep playing and playing and playing... until he can't stand up any longer... and then he'd probably crawl.

I'm not sure how I'd be with other dogs in the house. We've had other family dogs stay for vacations but that was before Charlie. I suppose we'll just have to give it a try.

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Deb...fostering is a good in many ways but remember you are training a dog to go to someone else's home so the 1st week and last few days are hardest. You also have to make sure the dog doesn't bond too closely, then you have to consider CHARLIE and how he'll be with a dog being in your home from time to time.
they is dominancy issues, territorial ...not negative just saying dogs like people have to establish boundaries, rules , status etc

For me personally, trying to do playdates got frustrating.

Dogsitting....can be fun or hell hahahhaa

But for us, i found getting another doodle was the Best option/companion for Max. As of 2 weeks ago, we now have 3 doodles.
i like you said NO MORE hahhahaa yeah right!

summary: for my family and I, we felt labardoodles are meant to have other canine companions. They play alot but also wear each other out.
For me, 3 doodles is easier than having one. I am able to get more done yet give each one special attention. they're also calmer now too.

Good LUCK and keep us posted

G

·
Annmarie after reading that post I want another doodle!!! I told myself I am gonna wait until Maya is 2 years old and is trained. (Ok maybe 1.5 years old!!)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Annmarie, for your perspective. I think Charlie would enjoy another dog in the house - just about any dog. He plays well with all dogs, can be wild or calm, submissive or dominant, whatever the situation calls for. I'm a bit wary of a foster situation because decisions are not necessarily mine to make regarding the dog, however, I think I could foster without getting too attached.

After spending time on this forum, I am getting brain washed into thinking we could handle a second dog. The reality side though is that we like to travel and I'm finding it very hard to organize pet care for just one dog. I think two would make it extremely difficult and stressful. Of course, if someone offered us a white doodle with a pink nose, I wouldn't be able to resist. :lol:

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Deb ...i too used to travel alot in the past and i had 2 dogs back then.
we'd board them at the vets where they got so much attention and they'd let both dogs sleep together at night. Just a thought.

now with Bow Wow camp opening up across the US that is another option.

food for thought :D

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been looking at Camp Bow Wow. There's a new one opening just a few blocks from here. It seems the dogs are in a social setting for a good part of the day. Do you think 8-10 hours is a bit much? Charlie's play dates are usually about half an hour. I guess the plus side is that two dogs from a family can stay together.

So... to get back to the point. I suppose two dogs would at least have each other for company while we were out of town, right?

We're thinking of taking Charlie on vacation with us next year. What are the chances that we could find pet friendly accommodations for TWO dogs - not just one?

It's a scary thought for me. If we got a second dog and it didn't work out, there'd be no going back. Once committed, I couldn't change my mind. We had many days when Charlie was a young puppy that we questioned our sanity for taking on even one doodle!

Deb

G

·
Maya goes to Camp Bow Wow and they have nap time from 11-1:30 I think. Most dogs go to a private kennel during that time for rest and lunch and snacks if you bring them. I am not sure if you have to request nap time but I always did with Maya and I took about 1/2 to 1 cup of food just so she would have a little something after all that playing. Sometimes she would eat. Sometimes she wouldn't.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I've been looking at Camp Bow Wow. There's a new one opening just a few blocks from here. It seems the dogs are in a social setting for a good part of the day. Do you think 8-10 hours is a bit much? Charlie's play dates are usually about half an hour. I guess the plus side is that two dogs from a family can stay together.

So... to get back to the point. I suppose two dogs would at least have each other for company while we were out of town, right?

We're thinking of taking Charlie on vacation with us next year. What are the chances that we could find pet friendly accommodations for TWO dogs - not just one?

It's a scary thought for me. If we got a second dog and it didn't work out, there'd be no going back. Once committed, I couldn't change my mind. We had many days when Charlie was a young puppy that we questioned our sanity for taking on even one doodle!
1) Concerning Camp Bow Wow - they have a set schedule during the week for daycare. They eat, then rest for a bit, then they play for about 2 hrs, then rest, then play for 2 hrs, then rest. They definitely build rest time into the day :)

2) Concerning 2 doodles - when we had just Dexter, if we had to go somewhere for a long day or overnight, I had a friend who would gladly watch him. Now I feel way too bad to even ask her to watch 2 of them. So this Saturday, we are planning a day in NYC and we are going to take both to Camp Bow Wow for an overnight stay...I feel badly leaving them for too long alone. My point is that it is more difficult to get someone to watch 2 than 1. However, these types of days for us are minimal :) We rented a house in NC last summer that would allow 2 dogs. However, I don't know if we would be ready for a 8-10 hr drive w/2 doodles :)

2 doodles is great, they keep each other company and play a lot...but make sure you consider everything :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i got to thinking and here's some food for thought

Everyone is different as some are breeders giving an awesome time committment so people like me can have and love awesome doodles

1. One dog doesn't cost alot to board, it is also like having an only child where you are the Sole companion

2 Dogs are pack animals so yes 'the more the merrier' can apply most of the time.

3. my observation: a labradoodle almost NEEDS another canine companion whereas most goldendoodles are content being a singleton

4. Consider your lifestyle if you travel several times a year it can get expensive to board 2 dogs...i used to in the past and was spoiled when i had one vacation without 3 kids and 2 dogs and then a 1 or 2 vacations with 3 kids and no dogs.

5. When traveling with your dog...they go thru stress like new people,more rules, air flight or long car rides AND will others tolerate your dog? and list continues

6. When boarding 2 dogs yes it costs more but they seem less affected than just one cause they still have each other as companions.
Also when they're boarded YOU KNow they're being fed etc....i had horrible luck with petsitters in my house...was a nightmare in the past

7. FOR ME , right now 3 doodles is so much easier as crazy as it sounds.

i'd say having 2 doodles 5mos apart ...Okay that was a bit close and tons of work
But with peanut 11mos old and max 16mos old....WOW what a difference. Both older doodles are much calmer and teach Beau things as well as watch over him like a big brother/sister
and for the 1st time in a year we can actually relax at night ...go figure! hahhaaaa

NOTE: i am not saying to have 3 , rather i am saying many here have 2 dogs some are both doodles, some different breeds. Most of us do agree they are great playmates for each other.

So whatever your decision, remember they're 15yr committments
i realized in 15 years i'll be 61yrs old :shock: hahhaaaaaa

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks much for the thoughtful replies. As tempting as it is, I don't see that a second doodle is the cards for us right now. Maybe next spring, I'll reconsider. Of course, it the right one came along, we'd probably melt in a heartbeat. :D

I may offer to do weekend/occasional dog sitting for Charlie's many friends. We'll take it slow and see how it goes.

Meanwhile, Charlie has a trial run appointment with Camp Bow Wow on Thursday. I had a good talk with the manager and she seemed to know her stuff. She said labradoodles need extra rest time because they don't always know when to stop. It seems like she knows my dog already!

Deb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts