Labradoodle Forums banner

Beard color

9K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Maureen 
#1 ·
We tease Dakota for being a "dirt dog" because his beard is always so dirty. In fact, I have been trying to clean his beard since he grew a beard. My husband is always threatening to cut it off! Last night, I was once again combing his beard when I took a really good look at it. Although it has a brown color to it, a lot of it is also a rose or liver color. This is the same pigment that is around his eyes. After all this time scrubbing, could his beard be a natural color?? I have honestly never heard of a two tone labradoodle with the beard being the "second" tone!! :?

#2 ·
Depending on the way the light hits Max's beard sometimes it looks brown tinged other times a rose tinge.

OH I cut Max's beard down to 1 to 1.5in long....makes life easier for him and me :D

#3 ·
Me too, me too...I've been giving Raleigh a 'trim' all weekend...when he sits still long enough that is....beard and two fron legs are basically done...hahahaha

#10 ·
OK--did some research. The reddish brown or orange staining of the beard (and any other place a dog licks such as paws) is caused by iron in the saliva which is most often caused by iron in the drinking water. If it is not in the water, it is likely excess iron in the dog food or treats. A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a gallon of drinking water will dilute the iron. Dakota is out of luck since he prefers the water in the pool for drinking!

#13 ·
Thanks Diane !!!!!
now can anyone tell me how to get max to stop leaving doodle breath and wiping his beard on peanut's head?? :roll: ewwwwwwww i wash her and max just waits , i swear he does hahhahaha, waits to slobber all over her again hahhahahaa

#22 ·
I hear you! Jonah drinks and dribbles, I swear Miko just soaks her face in it and absorbs some, but not a lot of it! They also found this is a wonderful way to make new human friends....use them as a towel! :shock: :lol:

#23 ·
i LOVE how just before i need to leave work they wipe their WET BEARDS in my lap :shock: hahahhaaa
i found that when i sit at my dining room table i learned to drape the tablecloth over my lap till i can wipe their cute soaking wet beards. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.