Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is funny to ask...but how do I get Leno to bark?? :shock: I've had him since February and I've only heard him bark maybe a handful of times!! I dont want him to bark constantly, but I would like him to bark like when people knock on the door, things like that! When the pizza guy or mail man comes to the door he cares more about saying "hi" to them then anything else. I definately dont want him to be agressive. Mostly just want him to be more alert on protecting us, and to give a little bark to announce to people that their is a big dog in my house.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We have the exact opposite problem with Boomer. He barks at absolutely everything, whether its someone jogging by our house or our neighbors playing. In the car he even barks at passerby. :roll: The only person he doesn't bark at is the mailman because he gives him treats. lol

So I don't have much advice for you, but maybe you could teach Leno to speak on command and then go from there?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
When Cinnamon was a young pup, the only thing she would bark at were the neighbors. We knew when they came home and when they left, had company, the whole 9 yards. If some one came to our home, nothing. She's a year and a half now and she's just now starting to bark at someone in our drive. I still don't think she would accually protect us, but at least barking is a start!
However, if one of those dreaded plastic shopping bags blow her way, watch out! She's all over that!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL!! the plastic bag story is funny...I was picturing that in my mind!!

Actually I've been doing the "speak" thing. I feel like such an idiot at times because im going "speak.....ruff ruff" LOL!...thats how we trained my moms dog to do it. Leno just looks at me like im nuts!

He doesnt bark at anything...the other day he was playing with the cats and we heard a little bark. My husband and I both said "was that Leno?"

I guess after hearing stories of people's dogs who never stop barking, maybe I shouldnt complain!

I just have a really friendly dog, which is a good thing...just need him to be a bit more protective!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
That is funny!

Chase, my Poodle, never barked...not until he was about 8 months old, then he finally learned how from my girls! He would hear them bark and he'd bark and then look around, doing a half-step sideways, as if to say, "right?"...it was so funny. Now he is the first one to hear a sound and bark, yet he still looks at me over his soulder as if he is embarrassed by it all.

I am one of those who would give ANYTHING to not have barking! It can be so humiliating when the UPS man comes and 4 LARGE dogs are barking in various tones and intensity...*sigh*...and I try to reassure him that they are just happy to have him visit..."yeah. right."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts