Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shaia is 6 months and i've only heard her bark in warning twice - both when she was scared of something. of course she barks during play, but i'm wondering: at what age did your doodles being barking at the door, etc? i guess i should watch what i wish for :) but it would be nice to have a warning bark when something sketchy is going on outside.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'm convinced Sandy would have never learned to bark at the door if it wasn't for Tucker - the howling beagle mix. Now he barks at any knocking sound (not good in a house with old pipes!)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Shaia said:
but it would be nice to have a warning bark when something sketchy is going on outside.
Hee hee. Boo is 10 months old and only started doing warning barks about a month ago! :shock:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon is 3 and the only time I hear a warning bark is if another animal comes around, like dogs, cats, deer, coyotes, owls, she'll even bark at the hawks if she's in the mood. I say only, but that's pretty often. If we have someone pull in the drive, she does this whine and starts running circles around the house. We have a central staircase that she runs around.

One night we had a major traffic stop right out front and she didn't even peep. The only way we new something was amidst was she was quiet (aways a warning sign!). There were flashing lights, search lights, cars pulled off the road, the whole 9 yards. She was watching, but not a sound. So much for our "watch dog!" Dave said she WAS watching!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
we have regular bark-a-thons at our house. Kirby hears something outside, starts barking...Dex runs to see what's going on and joins in...it's rough and we are trying to work on cutting it down.

The newest thing in our house (besides Kirby humping Dexter all the time) is their play barking. They have just started this the past week...it's starting to get annoying so we may have to (try to) put a stop to it or at least cut it down a bit.

·
Registered
593 Posts
You are lucky... Sam barks WAYYY to much when people evn walk by.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, it seems that in a 2 dog family, one "teaches" or encourages the other to bark. this was the case with my last dog. i wonder if it's a single dog, if they just instinctively pick it up? like will she just start barking one day?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
yeah, it seems that in a 2 dog family, one "teaches" or encourages the other to bark. this was the case with my last dog. i wonder if it's a single dog, if they just instinctively pick it up? like will she just start barking one day?
Dex did bark pre-Kirby...just not as much as now. He didn't bark as a young puppy and started around 5-6 months old...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky rarely barks inside the house, but outside he'll bark at things which he considers unusual. Sometime I can't figure out what that is! One day he barked about a plastic bag that was blowing around in the neighbor's yard, which he saw by peering between the boards in our fence.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Cacao barks at shadows. Last night my husband was downstairs and Cacao and I just got up the stairs. She couldn't see my DH and she just saw his shadow. This was around midnight. :shock: The one time you don't want them to bark. As soon as she my husband she was fine. But she was just letting me know she didn't know what was coming. :D

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
sandy said:
Nicky rarely barks inside the house, but outside he'll bark at things which he considers unusual. Sometime I can't figure out what that is! One day he barked about a plastic bag that was blowing around in the neighbor's yard, which he saw by peering between the boards in our fence.
bahahhahaaaaaa
Denver will bark if a newspaper is floating by............

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hahhaaaaaaaaaaa SUE!!! ohhhhhhh i love it

Max wasn't a big barker till after he was 13mos old
NOW we know when deer are in our yard...totally normal
if mailman or anyone is in our driveway...OK that's good

but when he Barks cuase he thinks he hears a chipmunk farting :shock:
or Casper is floating by :roll: , well like SUE i say THANK YOU and HUSH now

oh If Max barks, then peanut and beau do the "me too" barking act :lol:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Toby only barks when his brother and sis. bark..it s the roll model
program we have going on in the house now..

otherwise Toby would probably not bark at any one..though he did bark when he was introduced to the crate..and that was on a couple evenings
in the row..

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
You could borrow my Mini-pin for the day.....she would have her barking within hours. The UPS guy will not come into my yard anymore, I have to walk out to the gate. Reba has decided that he is a bad guy and goes for the ankles anytime one comes in the yard. :roll:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Pixie started the warning barks around 6 months. It started when my mother-in law was staying over. Pixie sleeps in her crate in our bedroom at night, and in the middle of the night she saw my mother-in law in the hall on her way to the bathroom, and started barking like crazy, even though she LOVES my mother-in law. Now she'll do the same whenever we have houseguests, and she'll also bark when they open the bedroom door in the morning.

If I'm in the living room, she naps under a chair; and when she's doing that and hears someone at the door, or even in the hall, she'll give a few barks, particularly in the evening. But most of the time she doesn't bark at the doorbell or a knock.

She'll occasionally bark if she's playing with another dog. I actually like her level of barking right now, I hope it doesn't increase!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts