Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been many conversations here about how to control barking. I really need some help. Dexter's barking has been terrible! I know he's probably mad at us for going back to work this week and leaving him here alone. However I really need to find a way to control it. Sometimes he barks at something he sees outside, but sometimes he seems to bark for no reason. Right now he is sitting near the door and he will bark so I let him outside. Then he goes out for 1 minute and comes back to the door and barks again. He had been barking when he needs to go potty, but now he just seems to do it for the heck of it. I try ignoring him but it just continues. Any suggestions? Thanks :?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Maybe try telling him "no bark" and then give him a command like sit and then praise him? I did that with Doc when he barked at the door and it seemed to control it pretty well. (I'm not really sure if that is what did it or if it wouldn't have gotten worse anyway :? ) It might be worth a try.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have to say their is truth in my brother in laws theory...

Teach the dog to bark on comand then you can teach it not to bark.

His dog barks as many times as told to, ie One woof, two woofs etc

the instant he tells Henry no barking, henry stops :)

I know a few owners who have used this with sucess

Doesn't work with out Bella though :roll:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I don't know that there is an easy way. Some dogs just love to bark...and that is hard to break them of.
I put a citronella collar on Lexie and it worked really well...UNTIL it malfunctioned and kept spraying and the poor girl about went crazy she was so frantic to get it to stop. I felt so guilty that I never used it again.
All of my dogs will bark at people approaching our house and usually continue until either 1) I give them the "settle" command, 2) they get "used" to the company or 3) the stranger goes away!
I don't mind that they bark to announce, but I hate it when it seems uncontrolled. It is embarrassing as well as annoying and if you are gone, it is so much worse...have your neighbors complained?
You actually might need a professional trainer to help you out.
I would not suggest the citronella collar, unless you are there with the dog constantly...even then, like with Lexie, it can malfunction and cause a great fear...it isn't worth that to me.
I have never tried the device that you install in the garage or outside that is supposed to stop them with a sound...some say it works, others say it doesn't.
You really might want to try this...and it sounds kind of stupid...but rather than explain and have you roll your eyes...I am giving you the link...watch the video...it amazed me!
http://www.caninelullabies.com/

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No the neighbors haven't complained...we only let him go outside when we're home so we can somewhat supervise him so when he starts barking we let him in. It's really weird...sometimes i think he sees a squirrel or a bird and barks at it. Sometimes he just barks while sitting on his bed or the sofa (but he doesn't look at all mad while doing it...actually he has his "happy dog face" on...what to me is him smiling). I think I'll try working on teaching him to bark on command and see what happens.

That lullaby site is very interesting and I will certainly read it more...maybe we could play him a CD when we leave.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
You know, one thing that I have discovered is that even the tiniest of puppies bark...and it is their way of communicating. We have what we call "bark-a-thons" at our house when the pups get going...they bark at each other just to try out their voices! They enjoy it so much. Sounds to me like that is what Dexter is doing.
We joke that Lexie, our barker, barks at satellites!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts