Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im Back!

Lately at night just before bedtime Riley will start barking and will not stop. Also sometimes during the night he will start barking. I worry this will become a habit. I think it is because our neighbors dog is a big black lab, they didnt train the poor dog so it barks all day long and Riley's starting to do it to. Any Suggestions?

I just got another problem....I was playing with Riley, giving him treats and i looked at a treat...there were WORMS inside the treats. I immediately threw them away but i am very worried he will be very sick now! has this ever happened to anyone before? i have never heard of this....

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
the wormy thing happened once with me... I then heard its common in dog food products so never put dog food or treats in with people food because the worms can become moths. I think they might be referred to as pantry moths. Anyway..... we are talking dogs here lol the little worms are probably just added protein! No harm came to my doggys from the one episode but I did throw everything out.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok...thank you. we will definately be buying plastic containers for his food and treats now....just a couple months ago we got a ton of moths in our pantry...we were told they were from walnuts. ok....thank you very very much! :-D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we are thinking of a collar but first we are getting an invisible fence because he keeps running to our neighbors yards and once all the way down the road.... any other suggestions for the barking? when he barks we tell him no and hold his mouth shut, sometimes if he continues we even put him in his crate.... is this enough? should we just wait and see if it works?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My trainer says never hold their mouth shut, they start to panic. You can grab them by the sides of their mouths and shake gently and tel them NO BARK in a loud voice. Most say don't use the crate for punishment but I have heard of people using them for 5 minutes at a time for like a timeout so to speak. You might try one of these. I hope this helps some.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea we only put him in there for a couple minutes as a time out but he still loves his crate

·
Registered
77 Posts
we had bugs in some training treats we bought Maggie when she was just about 12 weeks old. it was horrible. she ended up with diarrhea (but as a puppy, you never know what causes diarrhea). I took her to the vet and they said she'd be okay. i did send a complaint to the dog food company who made the treats because I had just bought them that day so I knew the bugs didnt' get in there while hanging around in my pantry. they did not cover the vet bill, but paid for half of it. I had to fill in all sorts of reports and have my vet fill in some paperwork too. it wasn't really worth the hassle, but I was very worried about the puppy.

you may want to call the company who made the treats and let them know that you found worms. but if you have thrown out the packaging it won't be much help; they'll want the lot number and expiration date, etc. off of the package.

good luck! Your pup will probably be just fine.
Christine

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok thanks christine, if it happens again I will make sure to contact the company but i already threw away the box....oops...

thanks everyone!

·
Registered
177 Posts
One thing that does work, weird as it may seem........

If you can teach Riley to bark on command then you can teach him to not bark.

My partners brother taught his lab to bark (he just tells him how many woofs and then Henry does it) Once Henry had learnt to bark on command he was then taught the 'no bark' command

Guess what, it worked :D

Of course our Bella ignored this part of her training :oops:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I made the mistake of teaching a poodle I had to speak for a piece of popcorn so everytime he saw popcorn he would bark and bark until I gave him some :oops: :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
BARKING

HI everyone. I so far have taught my dogs NOT to bark by teaching them the word HUSH. ( yes I hear you all laughing so does everyone else till they see it really works).

MAX is 4mos old and it took him 3 days to learn HUSH and reinforcement all the time :)
USE TREATS! I hold my finger to my lips saying HUSH and stare at him. If he quiets down he gets a doggie treat while praising him constantly. IF he barks then i just ignore him and walk away. NOW i will say MAX was quick to learn but I once had an older papillon dog that took about 2 weeks to teach him to HUSH.

maybe you might think "yeah right" but just like anything else it takes patience, work and lots of praise. I find labradoodles are very receptive to kind soft voiced training with using NO and a louder tone only for severe things/emergencies.
LIKE a small child...do not give attention to negative behavior and it can cease while good behavior thats rewared/recognized is continued.

NOW anyone know how to stop a dog from trying to help me sort socks when getting wash together? :roll: :lol: he's so good at it too 8)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Annemarie,

Do you think I can start "hush" training with Hagrid now? He's only 10 weeks old and doesn't bark all the much, but it is very grating when he does and it's really hard to get him to stop. He's been barking ever since he met our Gabby today. It's stressful for us, I'm sure it will stress our super calm 10 year old girl out after a while too and I'm positive that my neighbours won't like him if he barks all the time. He barked when he met new dogs at the beach as well and every once in a while he barks at people too.

I don't think he's afraid (like I did at the beginning) because Gabby has been very calm and accepting of him and he seems like he wants the other dogs to play with him. It's more like he wants attention (which he gets lots of) or that he wants something. I really don't want him to bark when he wants things though and I definitely don't want him to bark when he meets new dogs or at people. Right now he's little, but in a few months he could scare people who aren't used to dogs.

I've already noticed that he responds well to "Shhh" and does NOT respond well to being told "NO" in a load voice. He just starts "replying" with a bark.... but we still don't want him to do it. He definitely responds MUCH better to positive reinforcement rather than negative. We've started teaching him not to put his front paws on the table by teaching him to "get down" and praising him when he does rather than getting upset with him. We also try to reach down and pet him when he comes over so that he gets attention BEFORE he jumps up and is less inclined to jump. This seems to be working really well.

The main thing I'm worried about is that he will think that he's getting treats when he starts barking rather than when he stops. I think he'll pick it up really quickly (he's already pretty much house trained, comes when he calls, sits, lies down, leaves things alone when we say "eh eh eh" etc... but I've never trained a dog not to bark before and I want to start off correctly!

I actually left my computer to commence "Hush" training, but it's hard to tell if it's working or not. At any rate, any additional information or tips you can give me would be EXCEEDINGLY appreciated. He is the sweetest little guy ever, but I can see that we definitely have to get him trained properly from the beginning.. he's too smart!

Thanks for the tips you've already posted and I'm really looking forward to hearing more!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Treats can work regardless of age. FOOOD GOOOOOOOD.

However at his young age it may take a bit more time for him to pay enough attention and 'get it' so be patient!

·
Registered
302 Posts
That's the conclusion I'm coming to! He's gotten a lot better over the last few days as well.. I think a big part of it was just that we were finally home and he wanted to play with Gabby so much. The barking has really decreased already. We're continuing with the "hush" training Annemarie recommended and that's working well too. Kim, my breeder also recommended a water gun (as long as he doesn't see it comes from me), but I'm not quite that desperate yet!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts