Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our two year old doodle, Lizzie is not a big barker--except when someone comes to the door. It is a happy, tailwagging joyfull kind of bark--because she loves company--however it gets the other dogs barking and then chaos takes over. It really started to get annoying over the holidays when we had so much company. I must say we have not done much to stop it up untill now, because she is so happy, and great with people when they come into the house. She just wiggles all over and gets so excited--and everyone falls right in love with her. So...it is probably to late to do anything about it now--we are such pushovers for cute--but the barking got out of hand over the holidays--Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
It is sweet, my dogs do the same...the problem is, as you have noticed, is that it gets out of hand. I have taught my dogs the word, "settle" and they have been taught to "go to your spot" and "stay in your spot". All of these things have worked well. The best is "settle".
I taught that by taking the collar, holding the dog still, while petting and loving her/him and quietly saying "settle" and "good settle". I keep repeating that, while I rub her/his chest and ears. After a while, they learned that to settle was a good thing and are now much easier to control.
A trainer once told me that if you teach your dog to sit on command every time, you can use it to solve many, many problems. So, if nothing else, work on the sit command and make sure you work on that every single day. Keep your dog in a sit, until you say "release"...dogs have to be released or they don't know when they are still on command.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My trainer also says that when you come home try and ignore them for 5 minutes make them learn that you just came home and as you are as happy to see them as they are you they have to wait until you get in the door and put things down then call them and greet them. I know it sounds impossible and I must admit I don't do this as much as I should, but I do think it is possible.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I forgot to ad try and keep them on a leash when you know someone is coming over and don't let them greet the guest or the guest greet them for about 2 or 3 minutes, this will help the dog or puppy learn to wait until you give them permission. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
My Lizzie wants to tell your Lizzie it was a blast jumping on the humans and going wild everytime one of them came to the door, but her mom and the visiting humans found the behavior unacceptable.

We automatically put her in a "down, stay" for a couple of minutes when someone's at the door and as they enter. It calms Liz down and when she's released, she's no longer a hurtling dervish of blonde fur.

LizziesMom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts