Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question: does anyone else have a doodle that barks whenever anyone enters a room? max seems protective but not mean or agressive. I understand barking/growling when someone enters the driveway, etc.

however, whenever anyone enters a room and/or the house he seems to start barking and not stop till he sees them fully.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh we are working on it....
but guests? i mean when the house is quiet and someone in the family enters the living room he'll start barking till they are in his view. Or if he sits at my sons feet he alert him to someone entering the room.
He is not ususally a barker either and knows the word hush.
My house is also very big.

I haven't had a dog do this before except for people at the door.

just wondering if anyone or even jac (hint hint) has any quick tips as Max learns quickly most of the time.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
hahahaha...I love the way my name is tossed in sometimes! LOL
As a matter of fact, I think that you can teach Max "settle" which works really well for us. I don't mind if my dog will bark once or twice to allert me of something...and if I am in control of the situation, I say "settle" and my dogs have learned that means to sit and stop barking.
I taught that by holding onto the collar and saying "settle" when the dogs would bark...at first I said it loud to get their attention, then I put them in a sitting position, all the while petting them and saying "good settle" or "yes, settle" or just "settle". After the first "command" I would lower my voice to show them that settle means calm, quiet....it worked!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I will definately start trying this Jac. Lately Riley just barks and barks at night when there is nothing there. Next time he does it I will start doing this.

Jac saved the day once again!
Thanks Jac, Lauren

·
Registered
401 Posts
:D
I will definately tell you how it works for me. I know everyone else who has problems with this will try it too!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks jac !!! actually i had started using that "settle" word for Max to lie down and he took to it immediately. NOW i'll try it as you suggested it. :)

hmm my teenagers are in florida for a week...hahhaha can't wait to see if Max will "settle" down and not bark :roll: when they come home wednesday. :wink:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Wow, I am impressed!
Another thing that I have found that helps...is to tell visitors (or returning teens :wink: ) what you are trying to do and ask them to keep their voices calm and to not act exctied with the dog (until after they have been there a while) so that the pup doesn't connect the happy/excited voices with the approaching visit.
I actually put a note on my front door..."We are training our new dogs, please give us a few minutes to put a leash on them before we answer. Please do not speak to the dog until ..." you know the story. :p
It worked!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'll have to try Jac's idea. Jorja growls and barks at a lot of things. While driving in the car she barks at any animals or people she sees and another thing she barks a lot at is animals or kids on the TV. That drives me nuts since I watch a lot of shows and movies with animals in them!

Patience is also the key here, I guess. Now, only if I could get her to "bark" when she has to go outside instead of giving me that desperate look that no one else notices. :cry:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jorja'smom said:
I'll have to try Jac's idea. Jorja growls and barks at a lot of things. ...Patience is also the key here, I guess. Now, only if I could get her to "bark" when she has to go outside instead of giving me that desperate look that no one else notices. :cry:
amen!!!!! Max used to whimper now all he does is get antsy and restless when he has to go out. I walk him still every 2 hrs or so.

Also, we have SURROUND SOUND in our living room. Max doesn't understand this yet :cry: , so when we watch a movie and he hears doors open on a movie, another dog, etc he barks and barks looking for the intruder :twisted: ...and we laugh. :lol: Tho sometimes we pause the movie, play fetch, walk him and pray he'll take a quick nap or chomp on his big bone while I hide all Max's squeaky toys so we can finish our movie.

One thing, Max does watch cartoons, animal planet and discovery zone without making a peep. ?!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm going to try to teach Ruby "settle," also. She doesn't bark at home much except when she stands at the door to go outside. She gives a single bark and waits patiently. However, we've been going to puppy class and she barks like a maniac there. It's so embarrassing. I think it's b/c she is so smart and she knows puppy class means treats galore. She SPRINTS into the the building, jumps on the trainer, wiggles all over the place and starts barking to get attention & treats. Then she proceeds to bark during all the parts of the class when we're supposed to be sitting quietly & listening. As long as we're working/learning & treating, she does great. But once I'm sitting quietly, she's barking. She has scared the dickens out of a shy Lhasa. I don't know what to do b/c this behavior doesn't happen at home, thus not giving me the chance to teach her while not at class. The trainer's philosophy is to use "no" very minimally with your dogs. Next class I will try "settle." Wish me luck!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow jac...I cannot believe max was soooo wound up after his bath today and while flying in midair for the 25th time over our king sized bed

...I slightly yelled Max" settle" now. hahhaa he did!!! :shock:

I really can't thank you enough for teaching me this word settle

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ann Marie, Max is gorgeous! I really enjoyed your pictures. Sure made me laugh. Your house and yard are beautiful too!

We have the same problem trying to watch TV. We enjoy the big TV and great sound but like Max, Jorja doesn't understand that the critters on TV and noises aren't really in her house! Meerkat Manor on the Animal Planet really sets her off! Oh boy!

I have a lot of hard wood floors too an they look awful. I've worked so hard keeping Jorja's toe nails really short and dull but it doesn't seem to matter. I've purchased the Soft Claws and she has them on now. She use to chew them off all the time but has left them on almost an entire week now so I have my fingers crossed that they will stay until I take them off. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Good luck with Ruby, Becci. I've decided to use the word "Quiet" instead of "Settle". I think I'll remember that better plus everyone else in the family.

Jorja barked more than her fair share in obedience class too. The teacher squirted her with vineger water every time she would woof or growl. She really stunk after every class. :cry:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
becci.....when i took jonah to puppy class, we had a sharpee(sp) and a yellow lab who barked all the time. our trainer made them face the outside of the ring to "refocus" them. we never had to do that for jonah....right :roll:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
come on gene....how many times did your doodle refocus?? i won't tell a soul, promise 8)

thanks Jorja! I haven't taken Max to obedience classes yet as I think he would end up bringing his own bottle of vinegar to replace theirs.

AT home Max is great...took him to our mom/pop pet store for 1st time as owner begged me to bring him in. Well let's say he reorganized one large bird cage that had multiple birds in it & then lays down giving the "who me? " I didn't do anything" look while the owner gives him gormet bisquits saying what a cute baby he is. I almost died in that store the other day hahhahaha
NOW go to petsmart and MAX ingores everything...hello???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts