Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At day care our dog barks a lot. The owners say he does it to try and stop the others from playing too rough but then also sees something outside and barks. Any suggestions on what I can tell them to do to eliminate or reduce it? They have tried putting him in a time out but it doesn't work they say.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hi Kim,

The way my trainer has taught us to control barking is by taking them by the sides of the face not to rough though and shake a little and tell them NO BARK in a rough voice and look them right straight in the eyes, this I think works well at home not sure about daycare. I would also warn you about letting others doing this because you don't want him hurt in any way so they have to know how to do it and not abuse the dog. I've seen it work great but just be careful in letting them do it unless you try it and can teach them the proper way.

Any way for what it's worth that's about all I can tell you other than a collar.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My dog goes to day care once a week and I am always amazed that there is NEVER any barking going on....I asked tham how they can have upwards of 20 dogs at once and NO BARKING. They replied, "we don't allow them to bark". Of course, I didn't get to find out HOW! I did watch for quite a while before I left him, just to see how they dealt with discpline issues. They just looked the dog in the eye and told them "NO" to whatever they were doing. If they behavior continued, they took the dog away from the activity and sat them and told them to settle down. Seemed to work. Calvin always looks so happy there and comes home exhausted! Leslie

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, for heaven's sake! Dogs bark...that's what they do! Okay, it might be too much for the day care center...but it seems to me that THEY should be able to figure out a solution...*sheesh* (This frustration is not aimed at you, but at the day care center!)

Still, my dogs (especially puppies) bark when playing with the others...when one dog has a toy or chewie, the puppies will bark constantly at them...maybe this is what is going on. Other than that, my pups don't bark at all! It is part of their game, vocalization.

Barking is a hard thing to train away...and they need to do something while the dog is there, not just complain to you...maybe you could talk it over with them and see what, if anything, they try and what you can work on together.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=1378

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts