Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Biscuit is 5 months old. He barks when the girls are outside and he can't run and play with them or when I leave the room and he can't come with me. I consistently correct him, asking him to settle. But, as soon as I walk away, he's barking again. Someone suggested getting him a bark collar. I was not sure if that was a good idea so I thought someone would know. Is Biscuit too young? Any suggestions on barking are welcome. Thanks. Susan

·
Registered
53 Posts
My Dora barks when she is alone in the kitchen at night. We have stuck to the same thing. We say "quiet" and I point to her corner and she lays down on her blanket. I have one of those zip lines in my yard that I put her on when the boys play outside. That way they can play with her with out worrying about letting go of the leash. The more we play with her and walk her the better she settles at night. I have found out they are kind of like kids. If you go to them everytime they bark, then they know how to get you back to them. And my great grandma always said "bad" attention was still attention!!
I saw on one of those puppy training videos to put pennies in an empty soda can and shake it and then tell them quiet. I haven't had to do that yet, but I heard it works. Kind of startles them and it is an alternative to spanking or yelling.
Good luck!
Beth and Dora

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Susan, a bark collar works well, but I suggest the citronella ones...and you shouldn't have the collar on your dog while you are gone.
The citronella one worked well for us, but one day, it started to spray and didn't stop! Poor Lexie was running around the house, pawing at the collar trying to get it off, she ran under my desk and it took me a while to get her out so that I could help her!
It was a faulty sprayer...couldn't fix it. It would have been horrible if I wouldn't have been home to help her!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts