Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I have a friend with 2 other dogs who mentioned the Bones And Raw Food (BARF) diet that he uses. I looked it up and found it curious. Is this diet appropriate for labradoodles, do you think?

Best,
Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Hi Again Bob!

Many people on these boards feed raw and love it. It can be expensive and some people it tedius and time consuming... the reality is that you can find great kibble out there with excellent nutrition, and you can add to it without feeding totally raw. It is just up to you and how much time/effort you want to put into it. Heres a link to a few different raw formulas: http://www.doberdogs.com/rawformula.html

We feed a kibble but then Sammy gets fresh yogurt and greenbeans, carrots, apples etc added to it. I am not comfortable with feeding bones but others do (NOT cooked of course). There are many things that can be added: raw or cooked eggs, cottage cheese (low sodium if possible), fresh meat (cooked or if very high quality raw is ok), green beans, apples, carrots, yogurt (plain- no sugar/flavor added), broccali, barley, parsley (helps breath and kidney fxn), brown rice, oats, sweet potato, Celery, most fruits are good too.

Things you should NOT feed your dogs:
-Grapes or Raisins
-chocolate
-Large quantities of garlic (some dogfoods have a small amount which is ok, partly for flavor and some say as mosquito repelent, small amount only)
-Onion

Here's a great link that helps you compare dogs food ingredients: http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=main
(you can also search these boards, we have had several threads where we compared dog foods)

While we're on the topic of poisonous things to dogs, hers the ASPCA's list of top 10 poisonous plants:

Marijuana
Ingestion of Cannabis sativa by companion animals can result in depression of the central nervous system and incoordination, as well as vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, increased heart rate, and even seizures and coma.

Sago Palm
All parts of Cycas Revoluta are poisonous, but the seeds or "nuts" contain the largest amount of toxin. The ingestion of just one or two seeds can result in very serious effects, which include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, seizures and liver failure.

Lilies
Members of the Lilium spp. are considered to be highly toxic to cats. While the poisonous component has not yet been identified, it is clear that with even ingestions of very small amounts of the plant, severe kidney damage could result.

Tulip/Narcissus bulbs
The bulb portions of Tulipa/Narcissus spp. contain toxins that can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation, drooling, loss of appetite, depression of the central nervous system, convulsions and cardiac abnormalities.

Azalea/Rhododendron
Members of the Rhododenron spp. contain substances known as grayantoxins, which can produce vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, weakness and depression of the central nervous system in animals. Severe azalea poisoning could ultimately lead to coma and death from cardiovascular collapse.

Oleander
All parts of Nerium oleander are considered to be toxic, as they contain cardiac glycosides that have the potential to cause serious effects-including gastrointestinal tract irritation, abnormal heart function, hypothermia and even death.

Castor Bean
The poisonous principle in Ricinus communis is ricin, a highly toxic protein that can produce severe abdominal pain, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, weakness and loss of appetite. Severe cases of poisoning can result in dehydration, muscle twitching, tremors, seizures, coma and death.

Cyclamen
Cylamen species contain cyclamine, but the highest concentration of this toxic component is typically located in the root portion of the plant. If consumed, Cylamen can produce significant gastrointestinal irritation, including intense vomiting. Fatalities have also been reported in some cases.

Kalanchoe
This plant contains components that can produce gastrointestinal irritation, as well as those that are toxic to the heart, and can seriously affect cardiac rhythm and rate.

Yew
Taxus spp. contains a toxic component known as taxine, which causes central nervous system effects such as trembling, incoordination, and difficulty breathing. It can also cause significant gastrointestinal irritation and cardiac failure, which can result in death.

I have also heard that peonies, daffodils and hydrangeas are not edible for humans, so I would be careful of lettign my dog chomp on them :) and of course be careful with the pointsettias at christmas time.

OK thats enough procrastinating for now... back to studying!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,243 Posts
Wow Kelly, good job!

I'll add that a dog died when it ate spilled coffee beans. :cry:

I tried the BARF diet and my dogs loved it. It was just kind of hard for me because they kept dragging the "meaty bones" all over the place and leaving blood on my floors! They LOVED it though, and I do believe it is healthy. I quit mainly because I finally got frightened by all of those stories saying that the reason the bones don't harm wolves (read this in an article about wolves) is that they also eat the fur of the animal and it wraps around the bone pieces and it all passes through. So, I started to think that I was just too afraid of hurting my dogs with bone pieces and splinters...but most people who feed raw would be very upset with that comment.

Some people have bought electric grinders and put the bones in that to grind with the meat and veggies...then make patties and freeze them.

I do believe that it is a good way to feed, I just worried about the bones. (Even though they were raw...)
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top