Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out for our normal walk today, and Jofi's playing with some other dogs. They run into the bushes and then I hear squealing. The other dogs reappear but Jofi is left behind. She got caught on barbed wire - first I thought it was just her harness that was caught (by the time I'd got to her, she had already struggled free in panic). However, when I looked at her more closely she caught her ear (near the tip) and there's a smallish wound (quite deep but not right the way through the ear). It bled a bit but not too much. I'm not sure quite what happened as she was almost out of sight.

My question - do I need to do anything in particular. It seems quite sensitive for her but after the incident she still played on happily and is otherwise her normal self. Do I need to worry about tetanus - should I treat the wound in any particular way? I doubt she'll be overly keen on me going near it. I've cleaned the area with water but not done anything more. It's stopped bleeding.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
you can wash it out and put betadine on it then keep Polysporin on it
but if it gets red/inflamed, oozes etc then call vet

G

·
New research shows betadine slows the healing (in human wounds) because it kills the cells coming to heal the area. Just clean well (saline or soap and water) and she should be fine. Polysporin/ neosporin are both good.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
If she hasn't had a tetanus shot, she should get one now.
Barbed wire is often rusty and can cause problems if you're not careful.
Having been a country person my whole life, barbed wire is one danger I DO know about.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Good advise, keep an eye on it, Macy cut her ear and ended up having to have sticthes, it would stop bleeding then start again (gravity of a cut at bottom of ear hangin down)

I agree to keep a very close eye on it, might want to trim the hair around the cut so you can keep it clean easier and watch for infection

Annabelle sends puppy hugs

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Ouch! The tetanus angle peaked my curiosity. According to various internet sources, dogs aren't very susceptible to tetanus but I'd give your vet a call anyway.

Meanwhile, I agree with the others. Just keep it clean. You can add some neosporin if its in a location she can't lick.

Hope she's feeling OK!

Deb

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Poor Jofi! Sounds like you got good advice here! I just hope her ear is better soon!

·
Registered
247 Posts
doesn't sound too serious thank goodness but vitamin E oil can speed healing of abrasions and wounds. i've used it and it seems to help.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the advice. I've used some homeopathic creme on her ear to ward off infection. She seems to be fine - she had a bath last night and all the dried blood washed out - it's surprising how much blood can come out of a small wound.

Just while I"m sitting here (eating my breakfast) and reading through the forum... things seem a bit too quiet - Jofi is sitting on the sofa and I assumed dozing... but oh no.... I went over to check just now and she's stolen a toilet roll from the bathroom and is shredding it all over the sofa. Clearly she's her normal self!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Just while I"m sitting here (eating my breakfast) and reading through the forum... things seem a bit too quiet - Jofi is sitting on the sofa and I assumed dozing... but oh no.... I went over to check just now and she's stolen a toilet roll from the bathroom and is shredding it all over the sofa. Clearly she's her normal self!
hahaha...awh...glad to hear she's feeling better.

G

·
I'm glad to hear she's her old self!!

Out of sight doodle + queit doodle = TROUBLE

At least that is the equation in my house!!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She's still fine but tonight she was mellow enough for us to have a really good look at the ear under a light and it seems the cut is worse than we'd thought - it looks like the barbed wire went right the way through the ear at one point and the cut is quite a bit longer - she has VERY hairy ears and some of the hair stuck to the wound/scab - as I pulled the hair away from the ear, it was raw underneath with a longer cut.

So... we're off to the vets tomorrow morning to get it seen to just to be sure it's all ok and healing. It's not bleeding now although moving the hair opened the wound again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts