Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Murphy, during the day and early evening has been doing great, however it seems in the evening around 8pm-9pm usually the later he seems to go into this Cujo mode. Holy Cow he is everywhere doing everything he's not supposed to do. He even acts somewhat mean at times which is very uncharecteristic of his normal loving happy go lucky self, it is during these times I have had to show him who the Alpha Male is and be very stern with him. :twisted: Is he testing me or does he need a dose of Valium?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hi, Our 4-1/2 month old LD, Lani can have that same Cujo syndrom just about anytime during the day. I have used our startle can (metal decorative tin filled with some coins) and time outs in her crate. These things have been effective is stopping her during her Cujo moments but not preventing them. Good luck! :lol:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi, I don't know if it is too early on for you to teach this, but I recently found that if I take ahold of my dog's collar, look her in the eye, and say "settle" then I pet and praise, it h as worked wonders. I figure if I can teach that word, along with the idea to sit and be calm...I will have worked wonders!
It seems to be working for us...although, I must admit, my dogs are older and already do recognize me as the alpha. :wink:
Just to reassure you, all puppies go through this daily phase. I don't understand it, but it is common. I agree with the others, training is the key and it sounds like you have a handle on how to do that. Your ideas and methods should produce results...probably won't eliminate the behavior...because I believe it is something that is in their nature for some reason...but you can let them know when enough is enough.
Perhaps if it is possible, you could redirect the energy and go for a walk or play an active game of catch...??

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your advice I think I am on the right track using actually some things that you all have said. Alpha Male, noise can and, actually the time out last night, thanks for easing my concerns by saying it will eventually stop :D we have been doing an evening walk lately for just about 20 minutes. It certainly helps calm his wild butt down. Other wise he is the most loveable little guy you could ever imagine. I knew there was a reason why I reistered his CKC name as Murphy Trouble Daugherty!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi. I've been away from the forum for a few days. My George did the Cujo thing too. Now he's a pussycat. For us, the alpha stuff just made it worse. It was almost like it made him "up" the ante and pretty soon I would be yelling at him and getting mad. Then he would get madder. I finally learned to go into this very very calm quiet mode, not praising him but quietly putting him in the crate and ignoring him for a while. I think they just get really wound up sometimes and we humans have to teach them to reel themselves in.

Anyhow, for what it's worth, Jac is right, a lot of pups go through this and they all pretty much get over it. Now we call George "Mr. Mellow."

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2doodsmom said:
Hi. I've been away from the forum for a few days. My George did the Cujo thing too. Now he's a pussycat. For us, the alpha stuff just made it worse. It was almost like it made him "up" the ante and pretty soon I would be yelling at him and getting mad. Then he would get madder. I finally learned to go into this very very calm quiet mode, not praising him but quietly putting him in the crate and ignoring him for a while. I think they just get really wound up sometimes and we humans have to teach them to reel themselves in.

Anyhow, for what it's worth, Jac is right, a lot of pups go through this and they all pretty much get over it. Now we call George "Mr. Mellow."
Lisa that sounds exactly like him. The more he gets worked up the more frustrated I get. I have always heard that using the crate for discipline isn't something we should do however I like your idea of talking quietly to him first. I'm sure the reason he is doing it more at night is because he has a greater audience with everyone home. He was pretty good last night, if he acts up tonight I will definetly try the time out thanks.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Jamie, I believe that the idea of "punishment" combines the use of the crate with angry words and actions...making the dog think that he is being banished and that you are mad at him.
I think that Lisa is right on with the idea of speaking quietly and gently and crating your puppy just for time out. That way, the puppy is not connecting the anger to the crate...very good solution!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just a quick addition to my suggestion about quiet crate time for the cujo dood. My doods almost always get a treat whenever they go into the crate. I keep a jar of treats on top of the crate and hand them out as soon as the door closes. I still do this even for a time out, because they aren't being crated for punishment, just being given an opportunity to "chill." It's sort of like when my husband gets grouchy, I make him a martini (and THEN I ignore him for awhile!) lol

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jac said:
Jamie, I believe that the idea of "punishment" combines the use of the crate with angry words and actions...making the dog think that he is being banished and that you are mad at him.
I think that Lisa is right on with the idea of speaking quietly and gently and crating your puppy just for time out. That way, the puppy is not connecting the anger to the crate...very good solution!
Good deal, he was great last night actually slept through the night YAHOO! 6.50 hrs sleep all at once. Thanks again!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2doodsmom said:
Just a quick addition to my suggestion about quiet crate time for the cujo dood. My doods almost always get a treat whenever they go into the crate. I keep a jar of treats on top of the crate and hand them out as soon as the door closes. I still do this even for a time out, because they aren't being crated for punishment, just being given an opportunity to "chill." It's sort of like when my husband gets grouchy, I make him a martini (and THEN I ignore him for awhile!) lol
I have been doing that very thing with his treats. Thanks for your suggestions. This forum is great I am glad I found it.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Jamie I am so happy that the suggestions have been helpful...I agree...this forum is a wealth of information. I have learned so much from my friends here. (Thank you all!)

·
Registered
294 Posts
We have a crate for Otto which he sleeps in at night, but does not like being locked in through the day. We feed him treats in the crate to let him know it is a happy place, and only leave him locked in for an hour to do shopping, and of course at night, but while we are there to supervise he is never in it locked, but he will take his toys into it and play

1 - 15 of 15 Posts