Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, took Ginny to get a haircut today. I knew they would have to cut it short as she had some mats. I asked them to make it not as "poodle-y" as they did last time, meaning to tone down the "teddy-bear" face.

Ginny at 9 am - Saturday

Ginny at 1 pm - Saturday

Any one ever have something like this happen? I'm glad we live in the country. I'd almost be embarrassed to walk her down the street like this. We are going camping next week. Hopefully it will be a bit more grown out.

Needless to say, we're looking for a new groomer. I can't believe they looked at this while they were doing it and thought, "this looks good."

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Andrea... they look like two different dogs

The coat should grow in a bit by next week....Peanut was groomed last Sunday and tonight her coat has actually grown in a bit.

And i must say GINNY has such a sweet cutiepie face :D

you could tell people when camping that Ginny is going to be the new DOODLE TACO BELL dog in a upcoming commercial :wink:

PS next groomer you get do like i did: IF you give me back a doodle that looks like a shaved poodle, then i get to give the groomer a haircut"
that said, i got just the cut i asked for :D

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
That's exactly what happend to Tanner the 1st grooming. Here he is...luckily it was winter and we hid him in a sweater. It will grow and it will be easier to keep up while camping

:) :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
hi ya this happened to my dog guinness too. he was so shaved down everywhere that he looked like a wimeramer!! it was really bad and we switched groomers right away.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
:)

Don't worry, it will grow back. Is she a F1B? Dexter grows in very quickly (from 1/2 inch to 2 inches in 2 months).

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Ginny has such a sweet face, she will grow out, at least they didnt' cut all her face and head hair.

Next time you go to the groomer take the picture and say that you do NOT want her to look that way - doesnt look like Ginny is phased by the hair cut :)

If she was really matted, they may have had to shave her to get the mats out - daily combing/brushing will help keep the mats to a minimum

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Well, it's too bad they shaved her completely down...
but she is such a cutie....it's OK.
Hope she doesn't get sunburned while camping....
I don't know how to prevent that...

Take the pciture of her like this
and one that is an example of what you want
her to look like when groomed. They can go by that.
I thought this was a great article.

http://www.labradoodle-breeder.com/faq_ ... groom.html
8)

·
Registered
260 Posts
kumo ended up with a similar haircut last september after he got into a bunch of burrs. the groomer basically had to shave him to get them out. it only took a couple of weeks for him to stop looking so naked:

when we take kumo to petsmart to be groomed, they always ask in advance if he has mats, and if so we have to sign a special release form that says it is ok to shave him (or parts of him) if it is necessary to get the mats out. this seems reasonable to me... i feel like it is pretty much my responsibility, not theirs, to spend the time breaking up and brushing out any mats before he goes in. i suppose if i was willing to pay more for a different groomer, i might have higher expectations :)

-em

G

·
I think Ginny and Kumo both look adorable!
That said, to avoid the shaved look, try the Best Shot products before you go to the groomer. I know it seems silly to wash your dog BEFORE the groomer, but the mats will go away and then they can give your dog the haircut you want. Bella had matting on her chest down to her skin (it's been a stressful, busy couple weeks, no time for brushing) One bath with the shampoo and conditioner and they were gone. Again, I was amazed and really did not think it would work this time. Even when I was applying the conditioner, I was thinking, this is a waste of time. But it worked! Except around her mouth, because i was afraid to put the shampoo and conditioner so close to her mouth. I may have to cut them or attempt to rub the best Shot spray into them by hand tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I still think she looks adorable...

Dexter grows out like a weed. Just last week I had to take him for his second summer cut. The first one grew in a matter of about 6 weeks to the point where he was a big mop again. So take heart; I bet she grows out much sooner that you expect!

But worth repeating - she looks absolutely adorable... :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Andrea, here's a pic of peanut you might want to look at? And I too think Ginny looks sooooooooo cute and sweet!!!!! though i would have been in shock at first as you told them not to do that.

Peanut was cut to 3/4 to 1in and i am amazed in one week it started to fuzz out aka grow a bit...though you may like the 1/2 better. Either way why not print out some pictures from the forum of doodle cuts you like to hand the next groomer a pic OR FIND one that is experienced with doodles?

Ginny is a doll baby!!! :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is so cool that you posted the photo of Peanut. I actually took that picture to them yesterday because I liked what your groomer did with his head & face. :)

I totally understand that they had to shave some mats out. Here's the kind of funny, ironic thing. I use Best Shot and up until 2 weeks ago, she didn't have any mats. Then 2 weeks ago I took her to Petsmart for a bath & trim. I loved the trim they gave her. They got the hair out of her eyes. But after they bathed her, she came home with the worst mats. I don't know how. Maybe it was the blowdry cause I combed her out the night before. I spent about 2 hours last Saturday trying to brush & comb them out. No luck. :?

I knew when I took her in to Petsmart yesterday that they would have to shave it short. The groomer and I did discuss it before I left. I suppose I didn't expect that they would shave everything including her feet.

Thanks for the link about labradoodle grooming. When I go visit my new groomer, I will DEFINITELY take it.

I'm not so sure G dog was so happy with everything yesterday. When we got home, she left a big puddle in the living room (which she hasn't done for months). I think she was protesting :wink:

She will DEFINITELY be much easier to groom for the next few months. :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Andrea , i won't go to petsmart again after max's ordeal last december
and they charge alot more than other professional groomers.

i found a place through someone else's recommendation who has a goldendoodle and the place is KNOWN for KNOWING how to groom doodles...and add the addtional verbal clause to the groomer that you'll give them their next haircut if you get back anything different than the pic you show them :wink: hahahhaaa puts a bit of fear in them hahahhaa

·
Registered
260 Posts
how old is ginny, and has she blown her puppy coat yet? when kumo started to lose his, it was like he developed mats overnight! it was very frustrating, since i was brushing him every other day and the mats just kept coming back! this was back in march, and we've kept him short since then... although we'll be letting it get longer again for fall and winter.

-em

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey, I have actually been the groomer that has "accidentally" taken Pepper's hair down too short!!! :oops: It grew back really fast and am actully going to do in on purpose the next time, prior to houseboating to cut down on the sand dragged in on her hairy toes!!! Besides, I want her to look really good a few weeks from then when she has to go in for formal Guide Dog Training and I know the kennel folks will butcher her hair!!! I would rather I do it my self and have her look somewhat decent than to wait and let someone else make her look bad just for their convenience. Not sure why the doodles get bad haircuts and the goldens are left alone! :?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I was trying to find a pic of Annabelle when Daddy went a little crazy and gave her a realllly short cut -

Anyhow I think you will like how she will look in a few weeks - they really do look sweet with 1/2" or so haircut Keep us posted with pics as she grows out , she is a sweetie pie

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Aw Ginny....don't you worry...you're still a beautiful girl!!!! It will grow back faster than you can say DOODLE DOODLEY DOO!!!! :wink: My Mom cut me with scissors 3 weeks ago, and she didn't do such a great job, and it's already growin back!

Your pal,
Raleigh! :D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts