Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about food and gas. Lani and Toby have been eating Canidae since they were weaned. Toby has been having some really bad gas :shock: lately! We have out of town company and my husband considered putting Toby in his crate because it is so bad! Can this food all of a sudden be causing the gas? Could it be from gulping too much air when he eats? Help! Our noses will appreciate any help or suggestions!

·
Registered
853 Posts
I don't know Lisa, but, I had the same question a couple of months ago and realized that Doc was eating my horse's poop which was giving him gas. Too much roughage! Is there anything that Toby could be getting into? Maybe eating some fruit or vegetables?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He gets carrots as treats, but I've never known carrots to cause gas. They also occasionally get apple cores. I do know they eat the rabbit "treats," as we call them, they find in the grass. GROSS.

Does anyone know if digestive enzymes would help?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
my f1 is a vegi-holic. seriously if I have a vegi or fruit he can be in the farthest reaches of the house and voila he is beside me!

apple cores give him gas. we wil be sitting in the livingroom and ewwwww you know and then my dh will say did you give him an apple!

sometimes other fruits or vegis do it too. not sure on carrots, he sure does love them though. :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, there is nothing more powerful than canine gas! Still, the fact that your dogs are releasing the gas is good...if they could not, it would cause bloat which is a common and extremely deadly condition...here is an article on bloat and how to best avoid it...I am assuming that if you follow the suggestions at the bottom of the article, it will help cut down on gas too.
http://www.dogbreedz.com/dog_articles/d ... -bloat.htm

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jac thanks for the link. I checked it out and discovered that you should not use raised feeders. We don't have one now, Lani eats laying down anyway, but we were told to use one to prevent bloat when we had our chololate lab, K.C. I'm going to try the digestive enzymes as soon as I find them.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
the no raised feeder thing was new to me too. I actually asked my dh too because we had always been told to raise the feeders. Must be new information hopefully based on recent research.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Lisa, the enzyme can be purchased at your vet office. I am sure you can get it elsewhere, but I bought a canister from my vet and it lasts and lasts.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hi everyone...Max is no longer vomiting anymore since we switched him to INNOVA dry dog food. BUT the gas ohhhhhh ----my family luckily has a good sense of humor.

Now i am wondering if Innova is not the food to feed him????

Jac (or anyone slese) any ideas?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Annmarie, I am really not too knowledgable about foods, but there are soooooo many good brands out there...you might want to try a low residue diet. Hope all is well!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hi jac and all others

we are now trying to introduce NUTRO hahhaha I sure hope we find a food that doesn't make him vomit, pas gas, and/or get constipated.

I also found out my mom while visiting us for 5 days was sneaking Max tidbits :shock: ...which also explained why he like to watch my mom wash the dishes. 8) YES my mom got reprimanded (poitely)hahahhaa.

My family left today. Max was sooooooooo sad to see them leave :wink:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
we're in the process of switching from nutro ultra puppy to blue buffalo fish and sweet potato. when we started(yesterday), he sniffed the bowl, curled his nose, then dove right in. i hope it does well for him, we struggled for months with the runs. been cleared up for over a month, so keep you fingers crossed.

no sbd's max, but we did have "audible" gas while putting our paws on the widow sill to look out. :oops: he actually turned and looked at me as if to say i did it! :D

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
gene I cant wait to hear how the blue buffalo is. I have heard mixed reviews more positive than not though! I cant seem to see it anywhere around here though I keep looking. Then again I hesitate switching my one pup but I think about it all the time!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
When you switch foods, just remember to make the change slowly, add the new food to the old in small portions so that the change won't cause upset tummies. :wink:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
so far so good! smells like fish! surprise surprize :wink: we limit the after dinner kisses because he burps like a frat boy!

moviestar, you can find it at petsmart. not cheap, around 40 for a 25 lb bag.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts