Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am admitting that I must be a bad doodle Mom. :oops:

Took Dixie to get groomed today and they had to shave her down. Her hair wasn't that long, but according to the groomer, was matted to the skin. She's not familiar with doodles so I don't know if she understands their coats. Dixie is an f1b.

Can someone please help me so that we don't have to put her/us through this awful ordeal again? :shock:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Bring this to your groomer..

http://www.idog.biz/QuickDownloads/Prof ... 20Inst.pdf

It happened to us and they end up with a Paris Island Cut, and you go to the wrong dog picking her up and the groomer says "NOOOO" thats your dog over there,, yikes what did you do to her, edward scissor hands..lol.. It happens to us all. WE MUST EDUCATE OUR GROOMERS! and the rest of the world..

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you sooo much for that pdf!

Why did they have to shave her to almost skin...? I feel so sorry for her and her big fluffy head!

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Dixie's Mom, so many of us have been there. It really will grow on you after a few days. But you will probably still prefer the fluffy look.
Is she curly?
Bella was checked out by the groomer before I left, she looked her over, lifted her hair, etc, I told her just a trim and I returned to a shaved doggy. I was then told by the groomer (when I went to pick her up!) that Bella was matted and needed to be shaved. :shock: I was skeptical because she did not say that when she looked her over and I had just brushed her out before I took her in. Anyway, I know there were some tiny mats on her and maybe they metastized when she washed her? :lol:
So I decided to change my brush. The old brush was simply not going thru her entire coat.
The Grooma Rake really gets down to the skin...but it does not remove every mat or tangle. It is great for an everyday, quick combing to keepmajor mats away.The Les pooches brush works very well for the in depth brushing day where all tangles and mats are removed and you have some extra time to spend, Use the rake first, then the brush. And coat her with Eqyss Premier conditioner mixed with Cowboy magic before brushing or Annie really likes Ice on Ice, another great product. They all can be used on a dry coat.
Remember, it does grow back and with it getting warm out, she just might be more comfortable with the shorter cut :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
been there, done that!

we had to shave maggie last fall when she got into a billion burrs. but the main reason they had to shave her is because she too, was matted to the skin. it happens with the doods who have fleecy coats. i do not have time every day to brush her for an hour, and i also feel like a bad doodle mom, but with 3 kids and not that much free time, i just can't keep up with the mats.

my hubby was horrified (mostly because they cut her face to look too poodly) but maggie looked like crushed velvet. i actually liked her shaved/short fur much better than the long fleecy coat after a few weeks. it does grow back within a few months, and now she is fleecy again (and dare i say it, matted too!). I have really tried to keep up with it because I think it was somewhat traumatic for her. we had to sign all sorts of release forms and i was so scared to pick her up, thinking she was going to exit the groomers looking like a chinese crested.

but she actually looked cute, just very different from what we were used to. i think this spring we'll be either cutting her fur pretty short or shaving it because she was SO hot last summer. however, you do have to be careful that if you shave your dog in the summer, they don't get sunburned.

give it a few weeks, and you may also find that you like the shorter look better. it IS easier to brush out, that is for sure!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ok i have to ask....Dixiemom can you post a pic please? :D

·
Registered
434 Posts
Here are Curly's before and after pics. She was also matted horribly. I have to admit, I love the curly look, but this is nice and her coat is So soft....

BEFORE!

AFTER!

Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Dixie'som.... go to www.photobucket.com create an account and post your pictures there ok?

step 2...go to forum and hit reply button

step3 now keep forum windown open...go to photobucket.com and see the picture you want to post , then highlight the code that is in the Image aka IMG box you can do Control C

step 4 open forum reply window now type what you want to say and then hit Control V and the IMG code will appear

step 5 hit submit button OR click on preview button to see if it works

step 6 ........IF you are having ANY problems Just hit the PM button and i'll post the pic for you here

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I am purposely taken Miko to get shaved tomorrow. Until, we dry out a little, it's either a shave or sleeping in the kennel. I opt for bald dog in bed...ok, maybe not bald...but short. With Jonah's wash and wear coat...no problem, but Miko the sponge/dust magnet...... :shock: I'll be a wreck tomorrow. She's going to think I'm abandoning her. Jonah will be there though for nails and feet...and butt. Maybe they can put them next to each other? I hope..

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
GENE remember TAKE PICS and if you can a video hahahhaha

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
She may not speak to ya the first day back but after
that she will love you again :wink: :wink:
In the mean time Colorado says woof woof he loves ya!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts