Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isnt about a labradoodle but one of the females from my moms boxer litter died today. They are a week and a half old, and she was bleeding from her tail today. When they had their tails removed they had to put and extra stitch in hers and im not sure if something happened with that even though it has been a few days. I wiped the blood off with a damp rag then dried her off good and held her in the towel so she wouldnt get cold but she wouldnt move and she was limp even though she was breathing and making noises, so i took her back to her mom and she would not get any milk. Then i put her back with the rest of them and when i came back out about 15 minutes later she was dead. I am so sick to my stomach right now.

Just thought i would post it since i needed to tell somebody.
I feel horrible about this :cry:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, no! I am so very sorry...I do know exactly how you feel...it is such a horrible loss and so hard to understand.
As you probably know, we lost an 8 week old puppy yesterday and I can tell you that I am taking this death harder than I could have imagined possible...so please know that I do understand and that I do care deeply for your sorrow.
I have no words of wisdom. Comfort is hard to find...we ask ourselves what we could have done differently...but there is no sense in that because what we have done is past and all we can do is move on...but we can, and should, remember how our hearts ache so that we can find more understanding and joy in the normal, everyday things...like picking up poop and getting puppy kisses from those that we are fortunate enough to have near us. Take those other puppies and hold them so close that you can smell their sweet puppy-breath and feel the life...it helps.
Bless you...I hope you will soon find peace.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jac, Thank you so much for that! I am so sorry about your puppy. It was deffinately a hard thing because I knew that she was weak today and I was holding her for awhile trying to help her a little. She didnt even have her eyes open yet, it is so sad to see her go as she has not even had a chance to have a great life. She was one of the two that were already spoken for. The new family was very disappointed to hear about this. But once again thank you so much. I have felt so bad about this all day.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I recently had a litter born 6 days early of F1B's and one little girl only wieghed 4.9 oz I feed her around the clock every 2 hours. She did make it and I'm Thankful for that but I do feel your pain. I did read on another forum and I don't know who posted it but it was recipe for fading puppies:

You take a small piece of Beef Liver and and a little water boil it for about 5 minutes. Now throw the liver away it has way to much protein in it to give a puppy. You let the broth cool and use an eye dropper or what ever you can and give the puppy about 4 drops every 2 hours for 24 hours, it also said that some breeders for larger dogs give drops every hour for the first 12 hours, I did so this on the two very small pups and I really think without it they would not have made it. Always make sure the puppies are warm before feeding them also my vet said if not it goes itno their lungs.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I think that is the hardest part...that they were so tiny that they didn't have a chance to enjoy life...in the case of my baby, she had a joyous and vibrant life for 8 wonderful weeks...and the only comfort I find is a belief that her little spirit was so perfect and special that her purpose on earth was to get a body...and then she was called back home.
It is a tough mourning...the loss of a baby creature...it seems so senseless and we have so many "what ifs" and so much guilt...
I am sorry that you are feeling this same pain because it is so intense and heavy.
I pray that we will both find peace soon...and that we can learn the important lessons that these sweet babies came here to teach us.

Linda, I have that recipe too...I printed it and put it in my file. I have a folder for health info and have that handy. I have heard it is a wonderful help to revive fading puppies. I am so glad that people share their insigt with us...thanks for posting it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts