Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have recommendations on improving their dog's breath? Our labradoodle turned 1 year recently and all of a sudden it seems she really has bad breath. I've been trying special doggie buiscuits supposeably good to improve the smell but it's not really working. She eats mostly dry food with sometimes some apple pieces or cheese. Her teeth don't look dirty but I'm going to attempt to brush them. Any suggestions or proven ideas are appreciated! LaVonne (and Keah)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Pet stores have all sorts of good products for dental care. I brush my dogs teeth a few times a week. Summer really likes it- but she is used to it because we have done it ever since she was a puppy. Get some doggie toothpaste (Summer likes the chicken flavored) and one of those angled doggie toothbrushes. Human toothpaste will make them sick! Start with a piece of gauze wrapped around your finger with some of the doggie toothpaste, and gently rub the teeth and gums. After they get used to that you can use the toothbrush- just be gentle. It really does help with the bad breath!

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi LaVonne, sorry that I missed this post...
Bridget is right on about brushing...it is important for a lot of reasons, not only to keep the dog's teeth clean but to have a chance to look into their mouth for signs of soreness or things caught in their teeth.
Once, my dog had a huge string of meat stuck in hers and she could not get it out! It was easy for me and I am glad that I was checking her.
Also, the breath problem might indicate dental disease. Look for something lodged between her teeth, like a piece of bone or stick...and I would strongly suggest a vet check up because it could indicate infection.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bad breath

Thanks for your replys. I'm e :roll: mbarrassed to report she did have a stick lodged in the back of her mouth..the poor thing! And shame on me for not looking in there sooner! I'll be brushing and checking more regularly!

Thanks- LaVonne

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
No, not shame on you...good for you! You were concerned enough to seek advice and I am so glad that you found the cause.
This thread on the forum might help others with a similar problem!
Thanks for sharing your experiences with us and I am so very happy that you found the cause and can easily correct it. Good job!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts