Labradoodle Forums banner
101 - 120 of 141 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Update on the fate of the 48 puppy mill doodles in Kenosha

My husband and I went down to the Humane Society today to see if we could look at the rescued doodles. Despite being told on the phone a few days ago that they were not able to release them until the court case was settled, it turns out that all 48 of them have already been adopted and are in good homes!

They did have one lovely female chocolate doodle that someone else surrendered, but three people have already applied to take her.

We looked at all the other dogs, but none of them seemed quite right for us. We're planning to check back every few days. Our home needs to have a dog again.

· Registered
1,254 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry Farmcat, that has to be so dissappointing. On the other hand, I'm glad that the dogs have found loving homes. The right dog will come along soon and he/she will be a very lucky pup :wink:

· Registered
15,197 Posts
Farmcat.......don't worry the right doodle is out there waiting for you
it just may take time
and
Max the black LD in my avitar pic..he was the older 14wk stumpy crooked tail puppy no one wanted that is till Dave and I saw him :D

keep us posted :D

· Registered
1 Posts
I am fostering one of these labradoodles that was rescued from the Kenosha puppy mill earlier this year. She is one of the most timid, but good news! She is getting adopted by her forever family tomorrow morning!

When I first took her home she would cower and shake constantly. Now here is my baby girl, Jenna, after a lot of love and kindness. She is still very timid around people, but is slowly learning what it's like to really be a dog... for the first time in her life.

For more pictures of her you can visit Jenna's Photo Album

Her sister (who was already adopted) has a blog that her new family made for her! Check out Maggie's Blog

· Registered
2,506 Posts
Awwwwwwww Bless you for your compassion schizek
The story of those poor dogs just haunts me. Mine are all such big spoiled babies that I can't imagine treating them any other way and being able to sleep or look at myself in a mirror.

· Registered
2 Posts
Farmcat - - We adopted one of the labradoodles from that puppy mill. She is the joy of our lives. Thanks for posting that article and helping bring attention to puppy mills.

Actually, we adoptd Maggie who has the blog link in schizek's post (you're so sweet - thanks for always thinking of Maggie!).

· Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Wow! It has been a while since I checked this thread...what sad and horrible stories...but some wonderful happy endings. Thank you all for caring so much and for saving the lives of these special, sweet creatures!

· Registered
15,197 Posts
Jac.......just wanted to THANK YOU for posting this topic as it's had 16,902 views to-date!!! :shock: :D

which means hopefully the word is getting out and making people think
about BYB, puppymills, pet stores selling dogs from puppymills
and maybe for some to take a stand against them. lastly, mabye this has also helped some to adopt rescue dogs too.

soooooooo TY JAC...little you did you realize a heartfelt cause/post would get so much attention and spread the word. SOMETIMES all it DOES take is just ONE person to get the ball rolling

· Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Thanks, Ann Marie, it makes me feel very pleased to see the many responses and viewers...
I pray that we are saving lives.

Maureen...always glad to hear that I make you laugh...my sweet Rosie...she loves to play ball...no matter what!

· Registered
2,313 Posts
Re:

Jac said:
And, my point is that if buyers can't afford the $1000-$2000 price tag for a healthy puppy from a good breeder...I wish that they would consider what they will do when that puppy gets a serious health issue and their "breeder" won't even talk to them...where will they get the thousands of dollars necessary to ease the pain of genetic disease or, more importantly, to save the life of their dog?
If they buy from a reputable breeder, and (God forbid) something happens...at least that breeder will be there for them, to help with emotional support, suggestions, and even money to get that baby the best possible care.
Amen! My brother bought a puppy for my mom from someone that was not reputable. After my mom was totally attached we found out the dog had a genetic problem with her bladder. The lady would not even talk to my brother, and mom had to get her dog two operations. I am glad we have our Tia but we also were not wise. I lost the card from the breeder so I can never go talk to her about Tia. We got Tia outside of Wal-mart. We were lucky and we did not know not to buy from just anyone. I have learned much since coming to this site. Thanks for the posts!

· Registered
15,197 Posts
I do know about 80mi southeast of me a RESUE shelter site just got in puppy mill poodles! and also seems theres a flood of puppy mill
older dogs as well. UGH!! i am glad these dogs are being resscued adn taken care of but will it ever end?!!

I feel for anyone who unknowingly buys puppy mill dogs and then have medical problems w/their dog realizing down the line the dog
sold to them was under false information or not in prime health
WHY pet shops can't do business with reputable breeders who test is beyond me. ( i know why they don't ...was saying an outloud thought here).

· Registered
1,850 Posts
Well, I just composed this LONG thing to post here....and somehow lost it all! :evil:

So, believe it or not, here is the condensed version....

I think there are still many out there
that don't know the differences between breeders. :(

Not all Animal Planet scenes of horrid conditions at puppy mills
are the only type "mills" out there.
By that I mean, well-intentioned breeders,
may have many "puppy mill" practices going on.....
not having done enough research
about what it means to be a reputable breeder
and/or due to inexperience,
and/or extenuating circumstances....whatever.... :(

...I won't go into the long real life example I gave
in my first attempt to post this....but suffice it to say,
I know that it does happen sometimes
and not always does the breeder get out of the business
quickly enough not to have produced some
questionable situations regarding health issues and testing, etc.
There are ways to make sure you are dealing with
an excellent breeder so take advantage of them.

Get informed! Visit breeders, if possible, and have lots of conversation with them!!
View their web site and read their contracts, and health guarantees. Get references!
If the dog is for sale at a very low price compared to
the averages in your area....even nationally, find out why.
Don't just jump at the chance of getting a doodle, or any dog,
at a very low price without knowing why it isn't going for the norm.

There should be no such thing as impulse buying when it comes to purchasing a pet.
Which happens in the pet stores.....all the time.....they depend on that!
When I asked the manager of one store where he got his dogs from.....
he said from various breeders in the area.
( breeders? brokers? millers? no names or references were offered!) :evil:

Fortunately, breeders on this forum and elsewhere....
with their application processes to adopt pups from them,
all the information they provide and accessibility to them personally,
you have lots of safeguards to work from. :D :D :D

...but even with all that.....

Potential puppy buyers
Please do your homework!!

Your pets, family, friends, neighbors, local shelters and vets will all thank you !
We at this forum, thank you, too!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D

PS Jac, and Annmarie, you sure were up EARLY!! Especially you, Jac....couldn't sleep?

· Registered
753 Posts
Re: Back Yard Breeders/Puppy Mills - New Zealand

am very aware that I have only been in NZ for 3 years....I do not want to come over as a migrant who left their own country to criticise their host country, so I apologise if there are any Kiwis reading this who are offended...I am talking about my own experience and perceptions of the area I live in.

I talked to a local petshop owner about the puppies (and kittens ) they occasionally have for sale. The babies come from local 'ma and pa' breeders who don't have the knowledge or the money to do 'proper breeding' including testing etc (maybe not the interest either...get the impression some of them look on it as astay at home version of having a small franchise etc in order to earn a bit more money). I know with doodles I have only been able to trace 2 'professional' breeders in the country who claim they do the genetics and health testing etc (and one of them is where I got Charlie)...I don't know much about other breeds but I get the impression that there just aren't many breeders who approach it professionally out here, cos they haven't got the money...and in many ways NZ is behind the US and UK in its attitude towards dogs, breeding, training etc....I'm doing the same things in training classes with Charlie that I did in English classes 30 years ago (minus the choke chain tho!) and I am regarded by many people as being sentimental because I am unhappy that so many dogs out here are allowed to roam free, or are left out in the garden all day (maybe all night too). I think that pet dogs are considered to be only one step up from farm dogs and are treated accordingly...I don't think many people are aware of the likes of Karen Pryor, Ian Dunbar and Carol Lea Benjamin. This may be because many Kiwis find it hard to make ends meet, have 2 jobs etc, but the reasons don't change the facts. Of course, with this awful recession, the number of animals up for rehoming has gone up astronomically!

I would also beware of thinking that the 'quality' of'puppies can be judged by their price....out here, pet shop puppies are among the highest priced ones I've seen! There is still the thinking amongst the general public that if it comes from somewhere they recognise it must be ok and therefore they're willing to pay over the odds for that feeling of confidence (plus, of course, the 'cute' factor!)

I guess you have much the same problems of public awareness in the States...I saw a couple of Rachel Ray programmes last week...they were both about dog pounds, and how you could get really good dogs there. BUT they both spoke briefly about buying pups from reputable sources, and mentioned pet shops as one of these places.....so some good, some bad! :D :(

· Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Thanks Annmarie, Jane and Ann...your insight and thoughts are so valuable.
Ann, you are absolutely right about not judging the value of a dog by it's price. That is one indicator for buyers to be aware of, but certainly not the measurement of quality! As in all things, maybe more so with puppies because they are living, feeling, thinking beings...we need to research, as Jane so aptly put it...it is the ultimate responsibility of the buyer to make sure that they are informed.
Many resources are available, if one only wants to find out.

(Yes, Jane, I am a night owl! LOL)

101 - 120 of 141 Posts