Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,367 Posts
I can't add much to what you have said except your right of course. But I do believe that most buy because the price is right not thinking as you said about the future health problems that might arise. Also some of these breeders will raise a few litters and get tired of the messes and drop out and that leaves the buyers with no help if something happens down the road.

· Registered
1,367 Posts
I just bought a red St Poodle puppy and pd 1500.00 so as to get a good guarantee on him. I found out with Rogan how good a breeder is when I had him tested and he had HD :cry: in his Right Hip and the breeder won't even discuss it with me!!! That is the defintion of a BYB or PM if you ask me. Any one selling pups without a good health guarantee should not be selling them. I realize I made the maistake by buying him and taking the chance because I wanted red so bad but I didn't make the same mistake the 2nd time around and won't ever again I'll stop breeding first! And it's my life so that should tell you something...

· Registered
1,367 Posts
You know it all worked out with Rogan in a very positive way, I found a great lady who was in a car accident and is disabled now. She was on a fixed income and did not have the money to buy a puppy. I ended up giving her Rogan at no charge and he is going to be in a class getting training to help her with simple tasks like opening doors and so one. He will be a great therapy for her and help her live a normal life! Sometimes I think things happen for a reason and fall into place very nicely. His HD was mild and with some calcium supliments and a good owner he will have a full and happy life and give so very much love and joy to his new owner.

· Registered
1,367 Posts
This is a cross post from another forum I seen I told her I would post it here also so lets all spread the word when we can.

Jodi @ MBH
Help Me Spread the Word

I have been online tonight going to Free Classified sections of major news papers & any ads that are high traffic for dogs for sale, I am placing ads to help educate people about Puppy Mills, I am linking them to the http://www.prisonersofgreed.org website,
this came to me when my brothers girlfriend found a "cute little pom puppy" in a Pet store & was going to go back to buy her, OMG I said you can do that they are puppy mill puppies, she had NO idea what a puppy mill was, so I went through the talk about them with her & made her understand, so it hit me OMG there are thousands upon thousands of people just like her who have NO clue what a puppy mill is,, & what the conditions are like..

so I went to prisoners of greed website & on there they have premade ads to place in local news papers to help educate the casual animal lover about puppy mills, I figure if we all took a couple minutes of our time out to place an ad in a news paper or any online puppy for sale website about puppy mills we may reach a few people just like my brothers girlfriend who had no idea, & in the long run could possible reduce the number of puppy mill puppies being produced,, its a long shot, but what is a few minutes of our time to try to help?

& please feel free to mention that NOT all puppy millers sell to petstores, they also place ads in high traffic newspapers like Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc... that will lure people to them & have the puppy shipped, remember they dont WANT you to come to their kennel, they would rather ship the puppy so you never know the conditions,,

it is just sooo sad,,
Jodi

· Registered
1,367 Posts
Yes I went to the site and read a lot of it there is a lot of info on and tells the State that are the worst I hate to admit KS is one of them I knew MO and OK where 2 bad ones OK has no State regulations as far as I know. I do believe MO has and I know KS does but they have so many control people verses the whole State that their lucky if they gt around 2 a year to Kennels.

· Registered
1,367 Posts
Here is a poem my husband found I may have posted or sent to some of you but I feel it's worth doing again!!! :cry:

Dear Mom And Dad,

I Died Today.

You got tired of me and took me to the Shelter, they were over crowded and I drew an unlucky number.

I am in a Black Plastic Bag in a landfill now. Some other puppy will get the barely used leash you left. My collar was dirty and too small, but the Lady took it off before she sent me to the Rainbow Bridge.

Would I still be a home if I hadn't chewed your shoe? I didn't know what it was. but it was leather, and on the floor. I was just playing, you forgot to get me puppy toys.

Would I still be at home if I had been house broken? Rubbing my nose in what I did only made me ashamed that I had to go at all. There are books and Obedience Teachers that would have taught you how to teach me to go to the door.

Would I still be at home if I hadn't brought Fleas into the house? Without Anti Flea Medicine, I couldn't get them off of me after you left me in the yard for days.

Would I still be at home if I hadn't barked? I was only saying "I'm scared, I'm lonely. I'm here! I'm here!" I want to be your best friend, Would I still be at home if I made you happy? Hitting me didn't make me learn how.

Would I still be at home if you had taken the time to care for me and to teach manners to me? You didn't pay attention to me after the first week or so, but I spent all my time waiting for you to love me.

I Died Today,

Love, Your Puppy.

· Registered
1,367 Posts
I agree with all of you, it is sad but true. Impulse buyers I feel are not prepared to deal with a puppy, families with truely busy life styles also. Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying these families should never own a dog but I do feel after being a breeder and always wondering about my puppies and how they are doing, that people should research and be prepared before bringing home a puppy. After breeding for almost 8 years now I'm still learning and hope I continue to...

· Registered
1,367 Posts
I'm glad to see this topic being visited again, here in Kansas you have to be State licensed if you have over 3 breeding dogs or produce so many puppies a year. The bad part is they have to know your out there and puppy mills and back yard breeders don't have Web Sites and that is how they catch most of the people that aren't licensed. And even at that they only have so much man power to monitor people which is sad because conditions of any kennel or household could become extreme for puppies or dogs before they get visited.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts