Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks:
We've been out of the loop for awhile although I have been keeping up to date browsing through the various threads on the forum. We've been preoccupied with our elderly, ailing dog Rose. She was a lovely old springer spaniel, just a month shy of her 17th birthday when she died earlier this week. It's been a very difficult few months but she is now at peace.

Mia, who is nearly nine months old now, was a bit out of sorts for a few days trying to figure out where her old "auntie" Rose had gone and why her people were acting a little strange.

I'm so glad she's here to pull us out of ourselves with her antics and joy for life.

Here she is just lounging at the top of the stairs earlier today.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
kathyrn....i am soo sorry about your loss of Rose and hope all of you and MIA soon will be able to think about Rose later on smiling and laughing about fond memories. May you heal soon. hugs to you and that is also a gorgeous pic of MIA!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Rose. It's so hard to lose them but I'm sure she was ready to go even though you weren't. We had a wonderful Springer Spaniel too that just grabbed my heart and she died 4 years ago. I think of her and miss her every day. You have a beautiful girl there with Mia and I know she will help you through the pain of losing Rose. I just love Mia's sweet face and her eyes would melt anyone's heart!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
What a beautiful picture of Mia. So sorry to hear about Rose. Nothing is worse than the passing of an old friend, but you can find comfort in Mia and from your memories of all the years you had together. I still miss my old cocker Peche who passed last August, 3 weeks after I got Jonah. They are irreplaceable, but it does help having a new companion.

{{{{Doodle}}}} all around from us to you.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Kathryn, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of Rose...I cried for 2 weeks straight when our beloved Chocolate lab Charlie passed on 2 yrs ago. Before he died, we acquired Molly as a companion for him, and without her, and being able to shower her with hugs admist the tears, it would have been so much more difficult. I'm so glad you have your beautiful Mia to share your sorrow with....prayers and Doodle hugs to you and your family....

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I can't express how sorry I am for you and for your loss. The pain is sometimes unbearable...
I have found that the only cure for heartache like this is to open up and let your other pets heal you. They know. They also need to heal...so Mia will not only be a balm for your pain, but you will be her soothing connection too.
Bless you all.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss of your beloved dog. My sympathy and condolences to you.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss, it is devastating
when we lose a beloved pet. I am so happy that you have Mia to
help you. :wink:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Kathryn, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I know only too well what a difficut transition it is, especially since Rose had been such an integral part of your life for so many years. Thankfully you have a beauty in Mia to help you through it. She has a very expressive face, and is a Lovely girl!

Do you know the story of the Rainbow Bridge?

G

·
Aw, I'm so sorry to hear about Rose. :cry:

I've not had to endure the loss of a pet but I can imagine the sad feelings all too well. Be comforted in the knowledge that Rose has crossed the rainbow bridge and is thanking you for every year of love you gave her!

G

·
Kathryn,
My deepest sympathy on losing Rose. Please know you can come here to vent anytime as we all understand the hole that is left in your heart. We would love to see any Rose pictures that you might have, too. Mia is a beauty and I am so glad you have her. When my parents lost their beloved Border Collie they decided they could never go through that kind of loss again, so they have not gotten another dog. I KNOW another dog would be a great thing for them. I am glad Mia is already with you and helping heal your heart. Soon you will be able to remember Rose with smiles and stories and the grief you feel today will lessen and turn into warm memories.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I got a lump in my throat reading your post about Rose's passing.

A year ago we lost our beloved Izzy a "mutt" we rescued and had for 13 years. Then in November we lost our first labradoodle "Hannah" at just 5 1/2 months. I got through that thanks to Diane who gave us Tanner and thanks to all the wonderful people who share their stories on this forum. Knowing there were others who understood our loss really helped and hearing about the antics of these wonderful dogs helped.

My thoughts are with you and Mia. I know she will be a great comfort to you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your kind thoughts. It is helpful to know there are folks who understand the loss of a beloved pet. I will look for some photos of Rose in her prime but in the meantime here she is back in December when Mia was about 14 weeks old.

At this point she had been deaf for about 5 years and was suffering from advanced doggy Alzheimer's, but she was still able to cope with Mia and her rough housing antics.

G

·
Rose is beautiful! I love how Mia is looking at her so quizzically! (And it looks like Mia found a really fun mud puddle and wants to know why Rose didn't want to play in it, too! :D )

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I still remember when you posted that pic hahhaha Mia ended up in jail! and Rose is such a doll!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
i am so sorry, i hope you and your family are better soon. I feel so bad but now rosies in a better place, i love your dogs they are georgeous. I am crying for you. i hope you feel better soon

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
What a priceless picture this is!! Such a contrast of life...youth and aging...beautiful! (Also love Mia's typically doodly dirty beard !)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ah, Rose was a pretty lady. My Springer Spaniel was blind and diabetic with several bouts of cancer on her lip before she died. She was so happy though. We had her cremated and she's in a box right here on my desk. I just enjoy having her close to me. It's especially hard when they are so dependent on you for all their care. Sadie needed two insulin shots a day and help getting around outside when she wasn't in her backyard. Our lives revolved around her care which was never a burden. I felt pretty useless for a while after she died. We didn't have another dog to fill in some of those holes in my heart. That's why Mia will be such a blessing to you.

Hugs,
Marty

1 - 20 of 22 Posts