Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...with my leg? Already??!?!

Dexter has started to make a few amorous moves to my leg. :oops: I spoke to the vet about it yesterday. He thought it was a little unusual for a dog to be doing that so young and that they usually neuter at 6 months, but if this becomes "problematic", he could neuter sooner.

He doesn't do it all that often, but he has done it a couple of times. It's not a big deal to me. Have you all heard of this behavior starting up so early?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Lynn, Sandy did it to Annie twice yesterday - I was SHOCKED. But for some reason dogs like to "hug" ;) her... so I didn't think too much of it. But like you said, if it continues I'll have him fixed early. We will see the vet again in 4 weeks and I'll bring it up to her then so I can find out how early she would consider it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
From what I've read this is normal puppy behavior. Don't make a huge deal about it - just distract him when he starts. During Dante's first week home he did this as well. We just always distracted him with something else and it pretty much went away.

My vets opinion was that testosterone is important for development and that neutering too early is producing some very lean lanky dogs. Also she is not a big fan of putting a dog under before the liver is fully developed around 4 months.

That said we did neuter Dante shortly after 4 months as he is somewhat of a problem around other dogs - even though he has had weeks of puppy socialization class and I didn't want the problem to get any worse.

I also was pretty strict with my kids from the beginning that they should not be laying down on the floor and letting the puppy climb on them as this is letting the puppy be dominant. Sitting and letting the puppy be in a lap was okay. Even my four year old can give commands to the puppy - sit, stay, release, down and he will respond.

Heather

·
Registered
853 Posts
Doc did this from an early age and like it was mentioned above, I distracted him with something else. I had him neutered at four months, mainly to curb the marking instinct, but, the humping still continued after neutering and, at 16 months, he still does it at times. It's a playful, dominance thing with him. We just tell him no and push him off. I have a 7 year old female toy poodle that used to hump my male Bichon Frise just to show dominance. He would just lay there and ignore her. She will even hump Doc sometimes when he's laying down, but, normally she's running from him because he wants to play and she's afraid. So, it's pretty normal behavior, but, certainly needs to be stopped when they do it with people. :oops:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Humping a leg has nothing to do with sex! I'm disappointed in your vet not knowing that it is actually an instinctive attempt at dominance towards that person being humped. Kids sometimes get this, too. And it needs to be STOPPED! I'm firm about that, because you don't know who else you might know, or invite over, that would be a target of this type of behavior, and it's just not the gift you wanna give your visitors or friends. :wink:

How you correct this is up to you - as some have been gentle, others more firm, it is a famously common opportunity to 'explain' to your doodle that he is NOT the alpha. :wink:

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Maureen -

Sandy has only done it to me once but the poor kids (Annie & her friends) are targeted constantly. 10-15 times in an hour. I've tried to teach the kids how to pull him off and put him in the submissive position, but I'm wondering if its too soon for him to "get" it? He seems to know that I'm the "pack leader" but the poor kids are getting scratched and bit like you wouldn't believe! It doesn't bother or scare them, its just annoying!

Any tips?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
oh, I'm so sorry for you and mostly the kids!
Have you ever employed a trainer? I wonder if you might find one that would work with you, but more specifically the children to give them tips and "tools" of how to deal with this? One thing that comes to mind is trying to help your kids feel empowered that they are not hurting Sandy but that he is actually being mean, and they need to address it appropriately.

It seems like a well-placed foot or knee while Sandy's in a compromised position might make the point :wink: ...and it wouldn't have to be made very often, right? Certainly Annie's not going to really inflict harm to your zealous doodle!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Maureen...hahahahaaaa Sandy is 8 weeks old.

Max tried humping Dave's 14 yr old neice ONCE we said no and he stopped as we redirected his attention to one of his toys. BUT Max didn't try this till he was 6mos old. He did try it on me 2 times in one week...again i said no firmly and redirected his attention. NOW granted Max is the more submissive happy go lucky whatever kind of male.

HUMPING is normal but UP TO US to stop it. Ususally it is a dominance issue.
For us when Max decided that Peanut's head was a humping pole for one week(hahhahaa sorry but it was funny as Peanut was oblivious tiny thing at time)
WE would say NO MAX and redirect his attention with one of his more favorite toys. He got the hint. He also got neutered and hasn't done it since.

anyway, if you do a search on humping we discussed this a while back on the forum.
I also find if YOU don't make a big deal out of it, not giving much attention to it other than a firm no and walk away after giving a toy, HUMPING can stop with most dogs.

ALSO Kristen if it does get real bad ,
1--you can crate him
2- teach him you and annie and her friends are leaders , you are dominant not him. so maybe not sleeping on a bed and in a crate is better,
let him follow you into a room AFTER you enter first, etc
3- think like a pack leader and he is the part of a pack with you and annie leading
4- he's just a baby at the moment learning with you as the teacher

Good luck and remember Wednesdays are always HUMP day hahahhahahaaa ( ohhhh could NOT resist that one!) :D :D :D

kingston todd....i am NOT goign to ask what words you used to find that hilarious humping toy on the internet!! too funny! and i'd hate to be the dog owner that would actually have a need for that thing hahahhahaa

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Thanks Maureen - Sandy (and Lynn's Dexter) are both only 8 weeks old. I expected humping, but not this much and not this young! My daughter Annie is a humping target for practically every dominant dog she meets. She is very quiet and is just now learning how to use her voice - Soon enough she'll get fed up and put him in his place... just not quite ready yet.

And thanks as always Annmarie :)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
somehow I missed that! Geez, you must be so excited to have your new Doodlebaby!

Well, if Dexter and Sandy are that young I guess this should be a quick fix! It's litter behavior, and should be remedied soon enough, but I still stand by teaching your kids that THEY are to be in charge of the Doodle, cuz obviously Sandy sees a sort of target on Annie that she's "less" or "lower" than him, in the power line of command.

While we're asking ages, how old is your Annie? :D

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
She's six ("and a half" she's demanding me to tell you).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this behavior stops - its tolerable while he's a puppy, but when he grows into a 50lb dog it won't be so cute!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
]
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this behavior stops - its tolerable while he's a puppy, but when he grows into a 50lb dog it won't be so cute!
That's exactly what I'm talking about!
My advice is that you don't cross your fingers but actually take charge of the behavior and/or teach Annie how to. Cuz if you leave it to luck it'll get worse. :( It's not necessary to be mean to your Sandy it's just important that you understand your pup's motivation and why it's happening so you can deal with it. Like with kids, there's different ways of treating it, but what stays true is that it does need to be handled, to protect your baby Girl Annie! :D
(my baby girl is 10 and Sheba was a pup when she was 6)

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver has done this off and on since we got him
at eight weeks, but never ever has he even tried to do it to a person.(Don't know why just grateful)
He has only done it to blankets. We have always ignored it. So we just
always figured it was a meaningless as becoming dominant over the blankets just does not matter in the scheme of things.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
SUE I don't think you'll ever be able to let Denver wear a robe or cape hahahha as it would mess up his Humping brain :wink:

and NOW Back to our regularly scheduled topc :D

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Bahahahahah
Gene , Annmarie
You guys are way too funny.
So what do you think it means that my Denver wants to
hump blankets, please tell me as I know you both will have some wonderful wisdom to send my way. Bahahaahahahaahaa

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Kinky, or is it just a Canadian thing? :wink: Sorry, I really don't have an answer, just couldn't resit once again.

The only thing Jonah humps is Miko, then he'll lay in the submissive pose and let her jump all over him! :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts