Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh no! Juno's teenage rebellion has come early!

Yesterday at lunch I came home to this in my brand new house!!!

And today at lunch I came home to this...

I told her that's her second strike. Third strike means we're buying a crate!

Uma never did anything destructive. I guess you can't be that lucky twice in a row. Any advice on how to discipline if I don't catch her in the act would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would buy a crate now, not as discipline because you can't do that unless you see them in the act. Crate to keep your dog from eating your house. Looks like Juno was bored and needed something to do. Unfortunately Juno ate your house. :cry:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Uh OHHHHH!! :shock:
Time for a knuckle bone!!! Marley chewwed into the corner of a wall. When I told him NO & Bad, and went to get his knuckle bone to show him what he was supposed to chew, I realized that it was down to "toss out" size, & ordered more immediately.
They about knocked over the poor UPS guy when he he delivered the box with them in it, they were so excited!! :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh, the memories....LOL. We have certainly had some similar situations with Molly. Fortunately she never took out her boredom on the home itself! We have lost some area rugs, several pieces of furniture and some molding around doorways and stuff.
I know that when Molly was doing this it was because we gave her too much house, too quickly. It didn't happen immediately, but only after about 2 weeks of her having the whole house to roam freely in. We began by closing all doors and giving her one floor at a time by blocking off the stairs. We let her come into "restricted" areas only when she was with us, and we made a HUGE deal about how good it was when she chewed and messed up "her" things. We also gave her some cooler toys, that made a big difference. We also sprayed sour apple spray over every single cabinet corner, wall edge, furniture arm or leg, and anything that was wood that she could possible reach and chew. We also put up cardboard and bubble wrap on anything she scratched.
Also, we had to teach her not to do it. We put peanut butter on things she wanted to destroy, then we would say "bye-bye" and grab our bads and keys like we were leaving, and walked out the door. Then we would hide outside and peak in the windows. When she even licked the off limits 'whatever' then we would burst in the front door and say "NO!". We would periodically do this just so that she thought we were omnipresent! It sounds dumb, but it works! She never chewed or scratched our furniture or home again. I read all ton of stuff online and these were just a few suggestions we implemented in our training method. It worked with Molly, but every dog is different.
I can really empathize with you because we were just there a few months ago with Molly, Just be consistent and patient, it is a process and can be trying. I hope you get lots of helpful advice on how to best prevent any future issues. Best of luck to you!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I agree that Juno needs to be confined. If you don't want to crate her, find a puppy safe area and keep her there when you can't watch her. We couldn't leave Dex alone at all until he was a year old.

G

·
awww, that really stinks! I think crating now is your best solution because if it is mild separation anxiety he will feel much more secure in his crate. It is not punishment, it's safety and sanity :lol: Plus, I truly believe they get worried thinking they have to 'watch' the house. Let him get comfy in his crate and gradually give him more room.
My 7 y/o wanted to know "Which dog did that?" and then: "What did Uma do?....just watch?" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bummer!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Yikes! I don't know what I'd do if I ever came home to that!

Good luck with the crate :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Maybe doggie daycare? How long is Juno sans humans? Doggie daycare has been our godsend. Cody was starting to chew our kitchen cabinets (we confined him to the kitchen to save the rest of the house) and scratch up our drywall near the gate that kept him in the kitchen. The thing that sent me over the edge and straight to DH informing him we had to do daycare was the horrible countersurfing that he'd manage to do no matter how out of the way I thought stuff was (extend-o-neck anyone?).

Anyhow, maybe daycare for Juno? Or maybe first try a more confined space (crate or gated area) like the others have suggested.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sam has access to an assortment of bones and chew toys both inside and outside. Still, I find little nibbles on wooden objects. Recently, he made 3 holes in the plaster of my internal walls. I turned my back for a few minutes and he decided to develop a taste for walls! :twisted: At 8 months old, Sam has his complete set of adult teeth so I'm pretty sure this latest bout of chewing is not teething related. Someone suggested that he may just have a case of ithcy teeth! :shock:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yeah, that's about as baaaaaaaaaad as I've seen (except for my infamous blue painted house, but I promised to never mention that episode again).

Don't have any advice except breathe deeply.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I would say get the crate and start getting Juno used 2 it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Oh dear! :shock: :shock: Juno must have some pretty strong chompers! Good thing she's so cute! :D

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Oh MY! Juno??? You didn't!!!

Katie- I would gate a crate now... or a really puppy safe spot!

Ours both go in crates while we are at work... I didn't follow the rule about having a crate that is just big enough for them to lay and turn around... I just bought a REALLY BIG crate... so they can be comfy!

Juno's around 6 months right? BIG TEETHING STUFF GOING ON???

Knuckle bones are AWESOME too!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Wow! That's some pretty heavy duty damage there!
I definitely would start confining! I know for sure that if I ever left Bogart free to romp without us here, we'd be into the same thing.
Here's how I know. I woke to this about a month ago when we were all suppose to be sleeping. He was out of his crate and woke and decided to gnaw on the leg of the dresser in the bedroom.. :shock:
Now every night, I spray the legs with Bitter Apple!

Excuse the hardwood floor........we did our entire house but 2 bedrooms in refinished hardwood floors..............recently we removed the carpet in the bedrooms but need to now do those!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OK when it's someone else's doodle doing the damage ...you have a OMG laugh!! ahhaaaaaaaa

i'd say it's crate time when not home or able to watch the doodle :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts