Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 16 week old labradoodle and she was the runt of the litter. She was only 4lbs at 9 weeks. She has been growing rapidly and I think she's over 12 now at 16 weeks.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me there puppies weights at this age and what they are now?

Thanks
Gabrielle

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Gabrielle, welcome!
Congratulations on your new puppy!
I don't have long term comparisons to make, but it has been my experience, as a breeder, keeping litters until around 10 weeks of age that the runts generally catch up with the others and sometimes out grow them!
In fact, unless there is a health issue with the runt, I don't see any reason that it should not thrive the same as the others.
There are some puppies called runts because they are smaller and often those pups ARE genuinely smaller than the others but I believe that in those instances it is because the pup is simply taking after one of the parents or one of the dogs in the pedigree which was smaller in size. Still they are very healthy and strong.
It sounds like your baby is catching up and may be the same size as the rest of the pups in her litter.
We'd love to see pictures and hear more about her!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Hi, and welcome!
In Dec '04 we had a litter of 12 doodles and 1 was clearly a runt.... but he's 78lbs today, so yeah, he caught up! :D

It's my conclusion that runts are sort of like "preemies" that just hadn't reached the full gestation inutero. This can happen in a litter as the dam releases eggs and they are fertilized at different rates, or different days. In our 1-time or 2-time breedings we haven't had runts.

When asked about the heights of our puppies at maturity I point to the parents and suggest a 1-2" margin either way, with genetics determinining size not development.

Conversely, we have 3wk old puppies that are positively BEEFY! :lol: Our vet commented on how big they are but both of us were almost comforting ourselves that they can't grow beyond the genetic coding in them ya know? but man, they're big! <lol>

hope this helps!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Maureen said:

Conversely, we have 3wk old puppies that are positively BEEFY! :lol: Our vet commented on how big they are but both of us were almost comforting ourselves that they can't grow beyond the genetic coding in them ya know? but man, they're big! <lol>

hope this helps!
This thread is worthless without pics! :lol: 8)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
OK--I ran home (actually I drove) and snapped these just for Keith! :wink: On Sunday, Dakota weighed-in at 47 pounds and is 22" at the shoulder. He is 5 1/2 months and I'm not sure what he is planning to grow up to be! I tried to show the size of his feet--like snowshoe rabbits--and his long gangly legs! :lol:

. . . I would make pictures smaller if I knew how . . .

·
Registered
121 Posts
LMAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

Gee thanks... what a nice lookin boy.

and for the record... I was just givin Maureen a bad time. (just cuz I can :D :twisted: )

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Dakota is quite the charmer :) A real cutie!!!! I hope you find a camera, I'm anxious to see those beef master pups :D :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Maureen said:
dang! I'm not sure, but I think one would need a FUNCTIONING camera to take pictures of the beef-master puppies! :D
YOU can come over and see them, lol, but others have to wait until I have a camera. sigh. hopefully this week I'll find one in the pricerange... :oops:
Have I got a deal for you... >; -)~ We have a functioning camera AND can come over, virtually killing two birds with one stone... by uploading them for EVERYONE to see!!!! 8)

Who's da man? Yeah thats right, thats me... Problem Solver. Thats what I do. :lol: :p

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
oh, thanks for asking Jac...she's ok, but she was little to start with, and with 10 brothers and sisters she just didn't get off to a good strong start with nursing. I wasn't sure if she was going to make it over the weekend. I'm sorta lazy about bottle-supplements...I don't want the puppy to depend on me, or to get what we used to call "Nipple confusion" but of course I don't want her to starve either! So I monitor the litter and give anyone who's on the small side a "snack". I also go check on them (in my bedroom) and put her on Sheba several times a day. Yesterday "Buffy" was up to drinking just over 1oz of forumula and I had extra so Mr. Evans got a snack too, just cuz he looks on the small side at this time. :wink:

Oh, one more thing...I LOVE the formula "Just Born" with colostrum much more than Esbilac!

hey, I think my camera's back so the "beefy babies" might show up later tonight! :D

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Wow...I am sorry...I didn't know you were worried about your puppy. I am glad that things are looking up!
I have my babies on a weaning formula to supplement nursing...started at 3 weeks. It is Eukunuba weaning food. I like it because it is tiny pieces that soak up the water and turn into a sort of mush. The pups handle it well, it helps Bayley because these pups are brutal! Sharp little nails ...and it is so funny because Bayley only has 9 nipples! With 10 pups...that doesn't add up! So, she ends up with dark hickies all over her tummy ... poor girl!
Anyway, the pups have really been putting on the weight. They are very healthy and have full bellies...so you might want to check into that for your little ones. I hope it will help.
Glad to know about the type of milk replacement you prefer. We have never had to use it yet, but I have some on hand...I am sure we will some day.
Glad your little one is doing better!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
thanks for the info on the stuff you are using. This little girl wouldn't have made it 1 wk if I didn't help out so the 2nd food or weaning food wouldn't work this time...After having a runt in 2004 I decided to just always have this stuff on hand. I have a 2nd food from the same co. that makes Esbilac...maybe I should check out yours, but I think mushing up puppy food is pretty good, or mixing formula with mushed food, like a baby cereal has worked so far.

Sheba might have hickies but she doesn't lose her belly fur! :roll: She has knots or mini-mats and I'm going to take the scissors to her, since we didn't get her shaved beforehand. Isn't the uneven number of nipples funny?!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Good GOLLY Maureen!! What the heck do you feed your momma's to produce those little chubbo's :D No wonder the little female was starving, this guy ate for both of them :wink:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
chunky monkeys! that's Ben & Jerry's not hagen-daaz, right? or no? :wink:
Tam, I thought about you when I took this picture! I was hoping you'd post or check the forum soon! Can believe these guys?

Di, these are NOT the same pups as the one who was hungry! lol. Some moms are up for the La Leche League award, and some never joined the club! :wink:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
FOUR POUNDS????!!! Goodness gracious!
Our largest is about 3.5 lbs...and I thought that was huge!
They are really beauties though! (Still so jealous you have chocolates!)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts